Question WWYD? Most sensible option?!

Joddle

I will be have 4 kids travelling in my 5 seater car for a week in Feb '11. 9yo, 5yo, almost 3yo and almost 12mth old.
9yo will be in front seat, adult seatbelt. No other option.
12mth old will be in bucket seat.
Here's my problem. Do i put 15ish kg 3yo FF in Meridian AHR (goes to 18kg FF) and 5yo in Britax HiWay (RF only to 25kg)...
OR
3yo in HiWay, and 5yo in HBB?
5yo is very immature and is in the process of being diagnosed with ADHD. I don't trust him to sit properly in a HBB. But I also don't want to 3yo FF!
I think I know what option most people will suggest but just want to make sure :)

ADS

karlatta

I would do the 3yo FF and the 5yo harnessed. My theory is that it's safer for everyone to be at least properly restrained. If the 5yo isn't going to sit properly to me that's a bigger deal than a 3yo (who already has a significant amount of bone development) to be FF.

The 9yo can't go in a HBB booster in the back, and the 5yo harnessed in the front seat? Does the 9yo pass the 5 step test for belt fit in the front seat?

Joddle

I'm in Australia and I'm *fairly* sure that car seats or boosters can't go in the front seat under any circumstances. Anyway, the airbag cannot be switched off so a car seat can't go there anyway. I don't think anyone has heard of the 5 step test in Australia - I hadn't until I came across this forum. She's been in an adult seatbelt without a booster since at least 7 so she's pretty good about sitting right. I may even put the NBB in the front so the shoulder belt is a bit better positioned - is that ok with an airbag?
I don't know if you use independant harnesses over there.
(here's a pic if you don't know what I mean http://www.babygoodswarehouse.com.au/images/Protecta%20harness.jpg )
Would it be safer to put the 3yo RF, and the 5yo in the HBB with this harness???

sirrahn

She's been in an adult seatbelt without a booster since at least 7 so she's pretty good about sitting right. I may even put the NBB in the front so the shoulder belt is a bit better positioned - is that ok with an airbag?

Unless she's an exceptionally large 9 yr old who truly passes the 5 step in the front seat, I would use a nbb. Not only will it improve belt fit, it will boost her head a little higher so it won't be quite so in line with the airbag.

Joddle

She is actually quite a small 9 year old, but her mum won't listen to me about having her in a booster in their car, says she's old enough. In my can she rides in the rear with the NBB. It's just this one week that I'll have all 4 kids and need to use the front. I will be putting the NBB in the front, thanks :)

Aurezalia

I would harness the 3yo FF, put the 9yo in a booster in the back, and harness the five year old in the front seat. A good rule of thumb to go by is to put the oldest FF harnessed child in the front seat. Are you sure that a car seat can not go there under ANY circumstances? I don't know the legalities of the situation in Australia, but having the 5yo sitting up there harnessed really would be the safest option.

Joddle

Aurezalia, see above posts as to why this isn't an option. If it was it would solve all my problems! Gotta love Aus road laws :p

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
She does not have a FF seat that will fit the 5yo. The 3yo could go harnessed in the front seat, the 5yo in the back RF.

I think I'd do the 9yo boostered in the front.
Can you fit all 3 seats in your car?

For the 5yo I would try a short trip with them boostered. Tell child how they have to sit, how important it is, etc before hand. Let child know if they cannot remember to sit properly, they will have to sit in the only other seat you have which is Rear-facing (show them the seat). Maybe that would be enough for the child to sit and not be all over. At age 5, I'd be open to giving them one chance first (but only one).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC