Question - carseat during flight

DallasMommies

In regard to some other posts I've read, why would you put a carseat RF in an airplane?

Turbulence will be up & down motion, so it technically shouldn't matter if it's RF/FF. And it's not likely you'll have a front-impact or side-impact crash, which is what carseats are tested for, right? And if a plane crashes, the chance of the carseat saving the baby/child is slim to none. Seems like the only reason to use a carseat in a plane is to keep the little one restrained.

Not trying to be a smart alec, honestly wondering :)

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The big reason is that most "crashes" involving airplanes actually happen on the runway. The other common scenario is survivable landings, which are rather violent, but not particularly lethal--as long as you're properly restrained.

Studies have actually shown that we'd all be safer rear facing in airplanes, but that many people find it disorienting, and so rear facing made evacuation afterward more difficult.

There's some great info here: Airline Travel and Child Safety.

o_mom

I would say that turbulance wouldn't matter much. However, any survivable plane crash is going to be a frontal collision since that's the way they go. Think runway slide-offs, like the one at Midway recently. No, in a TWA 800 or WTC it isn't going to make a bit of difference, but in the ones that could be survived by someone, I'm betting on RF being safer.

lovinwaves

I am thinking though there could be a hard landing, or the plane could nose dive to the ground. People have been known to survive plane crashes (my dad included). The forces are what concerns me. Also, I would think rear-facing the baby might be able to sleep better, and might be more comfortable.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Yes, and a child who is used to sitting rear facing in the car is probably going to do better rear facing on an airplane as well. I know the first few times my kids rode front facing, they complained about not knowing where to put their feet.

groovymom2000

Not to mention, they can't kick the seat in front of them, which spares you from the wrath of the person in front! :rolleyes: I actually found it MUCH easier to deal with and entertain my children when they were RF on the airplane. My almost 3 yr. old can be challenging FF....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC