07 Pontiac Torrent

kickrz22

I may be getting one of these in the next couple of weeks and want to be prepared. Since we are trading in our vehicle I will need to install the car seats on the spot. I am just looking for any tips or pointers so things go smoothly.

I have my oldest ( 6 yr old) in a Nautilus behind the driver and my youngest ( 18 months old) RF'ing in a Marathon behind the passenger. My vehicle now is not equipped with Latch so they are belted and tethered.

The torrent has latch. Is latch the better option and what are the rules for tethering? Anything you can provide would be awesome :) I plan to still have them double checked at a clinic because it is a new vehicle but in the meantime I want them to be correct and safe.

TIA :)

ADS

amyd

LATCH/UAS isn't necessarily a better option in that it's safer, but it may give you an easier install. Or it may not. If you are comfortable installing your seats with the seatbelt and want to continue, by all means do so. One is not safer than the other.

As far as tethering, the Nautilus must be tethered. The Marathon can be RF tethered if you wish and you can find a suitable location for the d-ring.

Congrats on your upcoming new vehicle:)

kickrz22

Thanks so much for the help. I really like how the marathon installs so I may use the seatbelt for that one but can't seem to get a tight enough install on the nautilus without the locking clip so I will probably use the latch for her.

She asked this morning if she could sit in the middle. I don't know if there is enough room to do a side by side but if there is would that be ok? If I latch the nautilus in the middle and belt the marathon behind the passenger? Is there a better safer way?

amyd

Both GM & the Nautilus have 48lb LATCH/UAS limits, so if your DD is not over 48lbs, you can LATCH it. The Torrent does have center LATCH/UAS but they are overlapping with the outboard ones so I think you could use it in the center but perhaps not right beside the center seat, depending on which outboard position you choose.

kickrz22

Ok so if the we only use 1 latch we should be ok. She would be latched in the center and the other one would be belted so overlapping isn't an issue.

She isn't 48lbs but now I am curious if she was, I didn't realize the uas/latch had a weight limit. Once she is over that is she just suppose to be belted? I have no problem belting it because we do have a spare that we can move if needed.

I imagine they would be smooshed but they want to be close :)

amyd

Yes, once she is over 48 lbs you must install the seat with the seatbelt instead of the UAS. And of course, it needs to be tethered as well, regardless of whether you're using the belt or UAS.

ninejr

I don't know if there is enough room to do a side by side but if there is would that be ok? If I latch the nautilus in the middle and belt the marathon behind the passenger?

I would guess that the fit of these seats is somewhat vehicle dependent, but in our car the Nautilus and a RFing Marathon do not fit next to each other at all. The hit at really weird spots and although I can get the Nautilus in tight I can't get the Marathon in tight next to it. So at least in our car we have to put them both outboard.

kickrz22

Thanks :) I think we will just leave it all alone. I may just belt them both since I don't plan on taking either out and if so it is easy enough.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC