Native Mass Peoples, Traveling to Boston Help?

Jonah Baby

What do you think is the easiest way, and safest way, to do this?
We want/need to travel to Chelsea, MA from Westfield on Saturday to (presumably) get our van.
Chances are good that we would have J to tow along with us, finding a sitter for the little.
We don't have a vehicle, making this somewhat challenging.

I looked into Amtrak, which we can pick up close to home and ride right close to the destination, but its REALLY expensive.
I looked up picking up the T in/near? Framingham (having FIL drive us that far) but I don't understand the schedule and routing and everything, so never even figured out cost. Someone here must know how to understand this, right?
The last option (truly not as fun, J and I would LOVE to take a train ride and FIL drives a bit...odd) is pay FIL the gas money to drive us all the way in.

With any of these options, I don't know what to do about a restraint for J. No longer having a usable Radian, all my other seats for J are BIG bulky convertibles. I THOUGHT I knew how to put a seat in MIL's van for J, but I'm really second-guessing myself. I haven't a clue how to get one for that baby in there at all.

Any suggestions from the experienced?

ADS

TerisBoys

What sort of van are you getting first?

Though it'll be bulky, does he still fit in either the WZ or MA? Those are usually the best bets for installing, even moreso than the Frontier.

If not, does he fit in the MR, and will one of the Britax seats work for the sitter?

The only other real option I'd see would be something like a RSTV or Maestro, and I know that isn't in your budget.

Murphy's Law

I'm in MA and I have an RSTV you can borrow. I'm not near the city though. Not sure if you'd have a way to get it or meet up. I don't use it often, so you could mail it back once you reach your final destination.

Jonah Baby

We expect to be the proud owners of a 2005 Mazda MPV for the trip home and there after. I did get the opportunity to try my MA and FR85 in one and they fit NICE.

J just barely still fits in the MR, so possible. He seems to only still barely fit in the WZ as well (aren't these supposed to have 17" top slots? Seems lower on him than 17"...)
The goal is to get him into the FR85 I bought months ago when we get the van. I'll have to meet with a Tech to get that in...I give up on it myself.:eek:
The baby can use any of our seats (except the FR85 of course) so the baby's seat option to leave with the sitter isn't an issue.

If we use MIL's van to get any part of the trip there...we have no top tethers. Lovely Dodge latch plates and non-locking belts. I THINK I could use the WZ or MA tethered to a 3rd row belt, correct? I thought I could do this, but for some reason now I don't think so...someone must know, right? I think I heard this from KQ? I'll ask her. I'm a locking clip failure.

I think the RSTV would be the best bet, but I don't have time to order one!
Where are you located Murphy? I'd really appreciate borrowing it.
The top tether would not be required while using the seat belt, correct? But don't I need a locking belt for that? Erg, stupid Dodge.

amyd

How old is that Dodge van? It doesn't have locking latchplates? Or are they slippy? Did you try flipping the latchplate over before you buckle? Yes, you can tether to the 3rd row belt.

Jonah Baby

It's a '99 Caravan, bench middle.
I think the latch plates are considered "light weight locking" plates. When I've tried flipping the belt itself in the Caravan, I can't get the seat in tight enough.

BananaBoat

What do you think is the easiest way, and safest way, to do this?
We want/need to travel to Chelsea, MA from Westfield on Saturday to (presumably) get our van.

I looked up picking up the T in/near? Framingham (having FIL drive us that far) but I don't understand the schedule and routing and everything, so never even figured out cost. Someone here must know how to understand this, right?

Depending on where in Chelsea you are going, there are a couple different options:

1. Commuter Rail - Take the Framingham/Worcester line from whatever station you can get FIL to drive you to.
PDF schedule here. This will take you to either Back Bay Station or South Station. From Back Bay you can take the Orange T (subway) to State St. & switch to the Blue T to the Chelsea, MA station of your choice...there are a few.
T map here.
Price will depend on where you get on the Commuter Rail. The price is based on Zones.
Chart of Zones here.
For example, if you get on at Worcester Station & travel to South Station the fare is $7.75 per person over 11 years old. The T (subway) is $2 per ride which includes underground transfers (i.e. Orange T to Blue T).

2. Meet Up - Can you see if the sellers would meet you at the Airport? Chelsea is right next to the airport & you can hop off the Commuter Rail onto the Silver Line (technically a bus, but it is referred to as part of the T subway system & transfers are regarded as the same) at South Station without having to transfer lines again.

3. Chelsea Station - there is a Commuter Rail stop in Chelsea, BUT it will be a total PITA for you from the Worcester/Framingham line. You would have to take the Commuter Rail to South Station; get on the Orange T to North Station; get on the Newburyport/Rockport Commuter Rail to Chelsea Station. You could take a cab from there to wherever you need to meet the sellers.

Hope that helps!

capeKO71

What I'd probably do? I'd probably book an Enterprise rental car... have them pick you up (you know the ads!) and I believe they will even come pick the car up... or you can have one of you drive the rental and the other drive the new van to drop it off.

Trains just stink outside of the main hub-bub of boston.

Jonah Baby

This was just so confusing...J is staying with a sitter as well.

We're taking a Peter Pan in, lol.
Cheaper by hundreds, too.

Cross your fingers we come home with a van and don't have to figure out a bus home.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC