LO is growing too fast! In need of a good seat.

jillmaree

My son is 4 months old right now and he is 20lbs. He is not obese, he's just a big boy (born 8lbs 8oz 21.5inches). Anyway, his current car seat goes up to 22lbs so we are going to have to buy another car seat soon. The only problem is, all of the car seats I've seen have a rear-facing weight limit of 40lbs and at the rate he's growing, he very well may hit 40lbs before he's a year old. I know and agree with the current car seat standards that say babies have to be at least a year and 20lbs to move to a forward facing car seat. So I need a car seat that has a high rear facing weight limit so I can keep him rf as long as possible and at the very least up until his first birthday.

Thanks for your time.
:)

ADS

crunchierthanthou

He is a big boy. The good news is that most kids slow down quite a bit when they become mobile. According to the CDC, fewer than 3% of boys reach 40 lbs by their 3rd birthday. To get there by age 1 is really quite rare (even for the heaviest babies).

What vehicle do you drive? Are there any other kids in the car?

jillmaree

Currently we have a Ford Taurus with no other LOs in the car. I've been looking into the Evenflo Momentum and Triumph LX. Have you heard anything about either of them? Because I'm looking for a seat to last for a while. I'm willing to spend a little bit more if it means I don't have to buy another seat in a year or so.

Thanks.

jillmaree

He is a big boy. The good news is that most kids slow down quite a bit when they become mobile. According to the CDC, fewer than 3% of boys reach 40 lbs by their 3rd birthday. To get there by age 1 is really quite rare (even for the heaviest babies).

Also, that is great news because he is growing like a weed! And as much as I'd love a linebacker for a famous team in the family, he doesn't need to be that size just yet. :)

mrswh

My son is 4 months old right now and he is 20lbs. He is not obese, he's just a big boy (born 8lbs 8oz 21.5inches). Anyway, his current car seat goes up to 22lbs so we are going to have to buy another car seat soon. The only problem is, all of the car seats I've seen have a rear-facing weight limit of 40lbs and at the rate he's growing, he very well may hit 40lbs before he's a year old. I know and agree with the current car seat standards that say babies have to be at least a year and 20lbs to move to a forward facing car seat. So I need a car seat that has a high rear facing weight limit so I can keep him rf as long as possible and at the very least up until his first birthday.

Thanks for your time.
:)

I think a seat with a high RF weight limit is fantastic - but I agree with the PP that your little guy won't likely continue to grow at this rate! My DD (now 6) was a huge baby - 95th% her entire first year. From age 1-2 she gained zero pounds . . . there was nothing wrong, she was just finding her curve and has been a peanut ever since! They say you really can't tell anything about future height/weight by their first year stats.

I love Britax seats for ease of installation and their customer service is fantastic. Check out the Marathon - RF limit is 40 I believe, and FF 70, so it will last you a good long while. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty certain that you cannot get a higher RF weight limit seat in the US. You can get a European seat that RFs to 50 lbs., but those seats do not necessarily meet US safety standards.

If you are able, go to a store and try out different seats to see what you like (esp. as far as installing, and whether it fits in your car), and what your DS is comfortable in.

Good luck! :)

kidnurse

The Radians - specifically the 80SL and the XTSL go to 45lbs rearfacing and 80lbs forward facing. I have a fairly big boy too, 90% for height and weight and I find the Britax seats to be a bit small for his size.

krasota

Yes. The rate doesn't stay the same. It's not that kind of curve. ;)

A quote from my husband's journal three years ago:
If my son continues to gain weight at the same rate at which he has been putting on pounds in the first 5 months of his life, by the time he is ten years old he should weigh approximately 7,516,192,768 pounds.

Mommy2Marcus

Just another vote for he will slow down. My son was 20ishlbs at 4-5 months old & right about 28lbs at a year. Now at 4 he is just bearly 35lbs & even that is fully dressed! So, he will slow down ALOT.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
yes, another one here who had a kid outgrow a 22 seat by weight at 4 months old....she was only 31-32 pounds at a year.....it really does plateau.
I think a 40-45 lb seat is probably sufficient to get you to the recomended 2 years, and hopefully maybe even a little bit beyond that towards the optimal recommendation of 4 years rearfacing. :) have fun shopping.

Aurezalia

I'm going to agree with everyone else - his growth will slow down! Don't worry yourself at this point! :)

I love Britax seats for ease of installation and their customer service is fantastic. Check out the Marathon - RF limit is 40 I believe, and FF 70, so it will last you a good long while. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty certain that you cannot get a higher RF weight limit seat in the US. You can get a European seat that RFs to 50 lbs., but those seats do not necessarily meet US safety standards.

In this situation, I think I would have to disagree with the recommendation of the new Britax seats. They have very short shells, and there are many seats that RF to 40 or 45 lbs and have taller shells that in this particular case, with a large baby, that would last him longer. Something like the Radians (Recommended by a PP) that RF to 40 or 45 lbs, or the Complete Air, which RF to 40 lbs, both have particularly tall shells and will last bigger children far longer.

mrswh

I'm going to agree with everyone else - his growth will slow down! Don't worry yourself at this point! :)

In this situation, I think I would have to disagree with the recommendation of the new Britax seats. They have very short shells, and there are many seats that RF to 40 or 45 lbs and have taller shells that in this particular case, with a large baby, that would last him longer. Something like the Radians (Recommended by a PP) that RF to 40 or 45 lbs, or the Complete Air, which RF to 40 lbs, both have particularly tall shells and will last bigger children far longer.

Sorry, I didn't see that he is tall as well. Mine were both short and fat. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC