Radian help

U

Unregistered

I am looking to buy a second car seat for our 2007 SUV.

I currently have an older model Radian from Canadian Tire (2006) that only goes to 30lbs RF & 48 lbs FF. My son is 6 mo. old and a big boy at 21 lbs/27 inches. My daughter is 3 years old and 34 lbs/39 inches, so tall for her age.

My goal is to put my son rear facing in the centre spot as long as possible and daughter in a 5 point harness next to him forward facing as long as possible.

I like Radians because they are narrow and a 3rd person can join them in the back seat. The Britax Frontier was too big ...my son would have to ride by the door in our Radian rather than in the centre.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me that doesn't involve buying 2 new car seats? Even if I buy the Radian XT for my daughter, my son will outgrow the old Radian rear facing at about 1 years old.

Thanks in advance.

ADS

featherhead

If you get a Radian XT (or even the Premier, or regular versions would be good) for your son, then you could put your daughter in your older Radian forward-facing. Once she hits 48 lbs you can evaluate if she is ready for a booster or not. By that time there may be other narrow seats available that are not as costly.

U

Unregistered

That's a good idea. Thanks. So much can change in a few years.

The Radian XT has the wings for side impact protection, but my older Radian doesn't. Do 3 year olds and/or infants really need those wings? What are their function?

amyd

I agree with featherhead. I'd expect your daughter has another 2 years at least weight wise in the 48lb Radian. How is she fitting heightwise?

featherhead

That's a good idea. Thanks. So much can change in a few years.

The Radian XT has the wings for side impact protection, but my older Radian doesn't. Do 3 year olds and/or infants really need those wings? What are their function?

They are for "side impact protection". There is no standard for side impact protection. A 5 point harness and rear-facing provide plenty of side impact protection. If it is not in your budget to get the XT for both kids, I wouldn't sweat it. I used the regular Radian for 2 years before I bought an XT. I mostly bought the XT because I liked the pattern:)

amyd

If you're concerned about side impact protection, I'd suggest you put your DD in the center in the older Radian and your DS outboard in the new one. We generally recommend putting the least protected passenger (in this case your DD because she's forward facing) in the most protected position (the center). That is, of course, if her seat installs well in the center and you have a tether anchor in that position.

U

Unregistered

All helpful suggestions, thanks. I thought since baby was youngest he should be in the centre. Never thought about it the other way round.

Of course I promised DD a new car seat so if DS gets one....

She is on the second from the top hole shoulder-wise on the old Radian. I forget the height limit on it.

butterfly_mommy

What about a Radian XT for your son RF and the older Radian for your daughter FF?

This is the set up I have in my car, my DS 32 mons 37.5 lbs 38.5" RF in the XT and my daycare girl almost 4 30 lbs 36.5" FF in the 2008 Radian Premier (30 lb RF limit and 65 lb FF).

dogmelissa

Just to throw a monkey wrench in this, you could get a new RN (flora pattern or the girly pink whatever its called?) for DD, re-RF her (if she fits by height), and continue using the old RN for DS. RF is 5x safer than FF in any crash but also reduces the need for SIP because even in a side crash the child is contained in the shell, wings or not (you could get the lower cost RN without the wings).
When DS outgrows the old RN by weight, which might be longer than you expect, you could either put DD back in it FF or buy him a new RN. Yes, 2 RNs are expensive, but you don't have to buy them both right now. I believe Sears has the XT in the pink on sale right now, too.

ETA - or you could just get DD a new RN now for FF & decide what to do when DS reaches the limits on the old RN. You could even consider selling it at that time to recover some of the cost of a new one.

Good luck,
Melissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC