Got the strangest looks today!

dragonfly8

I was in the parking lot in a strip mall, and had K with me. Someone was standing there watching as I put him in his RF TF. He's now 31 months old............she gave me a look, not sure if it was curiosity or confusion..........I just smiled and strapped him in.

I wonder what she thought as she watched me drive away!!!:p

ADS

cdncasper

I get some of the same looks but than again I normally strap in 2 one yr olds and a 2 yr old all in RF seats in a Civic so I understand.

simplychels

I actually purposely dawdle when strapping my DD in when there are lots of potential looky loo's around. In my mind I figure if they see it, and question it thats one step in the right direction because if you don't ever see it you can never question it thus you can never learn it. Have I lost ya yet?? :whistle:

Shanora

LOL...I often wonder if people think anything of me putting Cordelia into the Van RFing, because she is still so tiny, most people are shocked to hear she is almost 2. lol

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I actually purposely dawdle when strapping my DD in when there are lots of potential looky loo's around. In my mind I figure if they see it, and question it thats one step in the right direction because if you don't ever see it you can never question it thus you can never learn it. Have I lost ya yet?? :whistle:

I kinda do the same when I have the 4 yr old, 2 yr old, and 4 m old, all RFing.

urchin_grey

Same thing happened to me a while back. There was a car full of kids next to me and there was a teenager in the front seat with them. Not one of the kids had a seat and they were probably all 2-6 years old. The teenager was starting me down the whole time I was getting DS and my nephew buckled in. It was probably more because I was putting them in a seat at all though. :eek:

C

Coral

how long can i have my daughter rear facing ? i have the britax marathon, she was two oct 11 this year??

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
how long can i have my daughter rear facing ? i have the britax marathon, she was two oct 11 this year??

As long as she is within the limits of your seat. There's more than 1" of shell above her head, and she's under the rear facing weight limit (35 or 33 pounds, depending on if your Marathon is made before 2/08).

Wendy

Twinklefae

As long as she is within the limits of your seat. There's more than 1" of shell above her head, and she's under the rear facing weight limit (35 or 33 pounds, depending on if your Marathon is made before 2/08).

Wendy

Actually this is the Canadian forum, so it's very likely 30lbs.

tam_shops

We had 33#RF MA until 2008-2009. My 2006 was 33#, then in 2009 it was replaced w/ a 30# one, I was NOT impressed! Idiots, who decreases a RF limit in one country & increases it in another!?

And, speaking of International issues, I went through the border today w/ ODS 4 1/2 RF in a Radian YDS RF in a MA. They are 3 1/2 Years a part. The border guard asked if they were twins. :confused: I'll give it to the guy that ODS is small & YDS is big, but seriously, you can't tell a 1yo from a 4YO? :rolleyes:

tam

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We had 33#RF MA until 2008-2009. My 2006 was 33#, then in 2009 it was replaced w/ a 30# one, I was NOT impressed! Idiots, who decreases a RF limit in one country & increases it in another!?

And, speaking of International issues, I went through the border today w/ ODS 4 1/2 RF in a Radian YDS RF in a MA. They are 3 1/2 Years a part. The border guard asked if they were twins. :confused: I'll give it to the guy that ODS is small & YDS is big, but seriously, you can't tell a 1yo from a 4YO? :rolleyes:

tam

The MA has had a max 30lb rf'ing limit since before 2006 - I believe it was late 2004, but somebody else here will know the more precise date. My june 2006 DOM seat was most definitely 30lbs rf'ing though, and my Sept 2004 3in1 was 30lb rf'ing - I got a seat that was just after the company's started dropping limits to 30lbs.

(Note that I'm talking about the old MA and not the Marathon 65 - the Marathon 65 has a 40lb rf'ing limit.)

tam_shops

snowbird25ca, can't speak to your seats, before or after, but am 100% sure that my summer made 2006 MA was 33#RF & 47-48#FF. Also know that when the seats went from 47-48#s FF to 65#s FF, they went from 33#s RF to 30#s, here in BC, Canada.

At that same time, the Radian was 30#RF. I debated long & hard if I should get that for my d/c seat b/c it was #3 less than the MA I used in my car.

Summer 2008, my car was hit, I replaced it w/ the Frontier, broke the cup holder & then dealt w/ replacement for the next few months, before I was shipped my current MA 2009, that has the 30#RF limit, which was why I didn't bother buying the MA in the first place b/c ds was already 32#s & would have to be FF anyway, but I hated the Frontier so didn't bother...

tam

Thought I was going crazy, but, found a URL w/ a 2007 MA w/ 33#RF/48#FF

snowbird25ca

snowbird25ca, can't speak to your seats, before or after, but am 100% sure that my summer made 2006 MA was 33#RF & 47-48#FF. Also know that when the seats went from 47-48#s FF to 65#s FF, they went from 33#s RF to 30#s, here in BC, Canada.

At that same time, the Radian was 30#RF. I debated long & hard if I should get that for my d/c seat b/c it was #3 less than the MA I used in my car.

Summer 2008, my car was hit, I replaced it w/ the Frontier, broke the cup holder & then dealt w/ replacement for the next few months, before I was shipped my current MA 2009, that has the 30#RF limit, which was why I didn't bother buying the MA in the first place b/c ds was already 32#s & would have to be FF anyway, but I hated the Frontier so didn't bother...

tam

tam

The manuals were mass produced for Canada. All Canadian seats manufactured at a certain period would've had identical manuals at the point they came off the assembly line.

The MA had a 33lb rf'ing limit when it first came to Canada, and I haven't been able to pin down the exact DOM when it dropped to 30lbs rf'ing, but I did find a thread..

From the Britax Marathon User's Guide, R4:02/05 (From my 2005 Marathon)

P2 says "This child restraint is designed for use rearfacing by children whose weight is between 2.3 and 14kg (5 and 30lbs) and whose height is between 46 and 81 cm (18 and 32 inches) and forward facing by children whose weights is between 9 and 22 kg (20 and 48lbs) and whose height is between 74 and 120 cm (29 and 47 inches)."

The 02/05 would've signified a Febuary 2005 revision of the manual, so it's possible that that was when the rf'ing limit dropped to 30lbs. The MA rf'ing weight limit never went up again after it dropped - though it had a 33lb limit in the US at that time period.

So I'm not really sure what the deal is with the seat you had because the US seats were always 65lbs for ff'ing - otherwise I'd think it was a US seat... but the CDN seats were 48lbs ff'ing limit until Sept 07 when they went to 65lbs.

Was it possible that you bought it summer of 06 but it had an older DOM?

snowbird25ca

I'm on the Canadian Forum, right? Because I know the American ones had different weight limits than us...

tam

Yes, Canadian forum. :thumbsup:

The US Marathon never had a 48lb max ff'ing limit, and it was always 33lbs rf'ing until it went to 35 - it was never 30.

QuassEE

Absolutely.

The first MAs arrived either at the end of 03 or with end of 03 dates on them (potentially in January of 04).. I remember that because I had a US MA from Feb 03. I also remember that the MA was out for about a year, maybe 15-16 months, before it was lowered to 30lbs RF. Which would've been around Feb-March of 05..?

Are you sure you don't have an American one?

-Nicole.

tam_shops

Me? Yep, I'm sure. CSA approved. I'm neurotic, I checked.

48#FF only in Canada w/ 33#RF Mine's not the only one! I have 3 friends that still own that seat, will triple check next time I see one! Maybe even get you a picture since you think I'm crazy! :whistle:

Now, 30#RF, also Canadian.

Maybe the went back up after being away & then back down again? Someone must know?

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC