W.H.A.L.E. Program Question

NebraskaMom

Hello Everyone. Are any of you involved with a WHALE program in your area? Has anyone ever started one?

Currently the state of Nebraska doesn't have one at all (according to the website) and I am contemplating applying for a grant to get this started in my area. Any insight you are able to offer is much appreciated.

Thank you.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've seen the WHALE tags (or similar) at a few seat check events run by different entities. I can see it being a good idea for many families. It would not work for ours (we switch out what kid is in what seat too often...)

NebraskaMom

I know at the check I received my sticker at several years ago, they told me if I didn't put it on the car seat for whatever reason, to put it in my glove compartment and put the sticker on my window (the little whale). This way the paramedics had a way to get info on my kids if ever they needed to.

It's definitely something a lot of parents don't think about. If the driver is incapacitated in a crash, who can speak for the children in the car?

Wiggles

Maybe a stupid question, but adding onto Ketchupqueen's reason it doesn't work for her family...

What if you could make WHALE stickers that had a velcro spot on them so that you could stick a velcro circle on each seat and velcro the WHALE 'sticker' to that, so you could swap out for each child?

NebraskaMom

Wiggles--I like that idea.

Even if she (or anyone) were to add velcro to the back of the sticker (without exposing the sticky stuff) so it's just modified enough to suit the needs of each family, while still keeping the W.H.A.L.E. that EMS workers are trained to look for.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We do keep an envelope with their info in the car-- but haven't found a better place than the glove compartment for it (which is not a great place, since they are often un-openable after a crash.)

Also, we are considering adding the kids' photos to it so they could identify which kid is which, after having this come up in a carseatblog post on the subject...

monstah

I believe my local Safe Kids coalition hands a bunch out at every check event. It's included with whatever handout or brochure suits their needs. I have never actually seen a WHALE sticker on anyones car though.

I don't even have one on my car because we switch around car seats so often but thanks to this thread, I just pasted my siggy pic (the current one below) into a word document, added names, DOB's and a couple important phone numbers. Then I printed it and "laminated" it with packing tape. Now to figure out where to put it...

NebraskaMom

I've only seen them on a few cars myself, which is why I'd like to implement the program in (atleast) my area (Omaha metro) if not the whole state. Again, it's just one of those things you don't really think about unless you've been in the situation, I suppose...

ownedbyhorses

They only gave me 1 sticker and I have 3 children in carseats! I was disapointed in that. Not to mention the seat switch. We will be doing that also.
So what? I should pick 1 child to save? hum....Wrong!
ok, sorry for the vent...I just thought they should of given me 3 of them.

menfusse

What the heck is the W.H.A.L.E. program?

:yeahthat:

ETA: I looked it up. Stands for "We Have A Little Emergency" It's medical info for emergency personnel attached to the car seat.

E has a medic alert bracelet, so it would be kind of redundant for us, but I can see it's a neat idea for those that don't want to go the medic alert route.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It's for more than just medical info, though. It's so emergency responders can have the information to contact someone about a child who may be uninjured or mildly injured in case the adults in the car are all incapacitated or even killed.

Think of this way - if you get a crash and die, do you want your severely traumatized kids waiting for six hours while strangers (granted, very nice strangers) figure out who they are and who to call to come get them, or would you prefer that their Gramma (or Auntie, or whoever) show up in an hour? It's also very useful to have them on the carseats that Nanny or Grandparents use for your kids. If Grandma has a couple of boosters that she uses for five grandkids, you can still fill out the info in a generic way and be assured that one of the parents would be called, yk?

I agree it's not a perfect system, though. I transport my friend's kids in my car with my seats once or twice a month, and since my seats have my kids' info on them, if we got in that kind of crash, there would be some confusion.

Still, now that I think about it, if they called my mom and told her they had her grandkids, and she showed up and it was actually my friends' kids, she would still be a familiar face, plus she'd be able to provide contact info for their family, so still a positive result. And I'm sure emergency responders are aware that the system isn't fool-proof.

asch884

Is there anyway to get this for myself. I have never been to a carseat check I dont even know where teh closest one to me would be. My 3 year old wears a medical alert bracklet but he is nonverbal (among other things) so he can t answer any questions they ask.

I would like to have these on there carseats. Any ideas????

menfusse

It's for more than just medical info, though. It's so emergency responders can have the information to contact someone about a child who may be uninjured or mildly injured in case the adults in the car are all incapacitated or even killed.

Think of this way - if you get a crash and die, do you want your severely traumatized kids waiting for six hours while strangers (granted, very nice strangers) figure out who they are and who to call to come get them, or would you prefer that their Gramma (or Auntie, or whoever) show up in an hour? It's also very useful to have them on the carseats that Nanny or Grandparents use for your kids. If Grandma has a couple of boosters that she uses for five grandkids, you can still fill out the info in a generic way and be assured that one of the parents would be called, yk?

I agree it's not a perfect system, though. I transport my friend's kids in my car with my seats once or twice a month, and since my seats have my kids' info on them, if we got in that kind of crash, there would be some confusion.

Still, now that I think about it, if they called my mom and told her they had her grandkids, and she showed up and it was actually my friends' kids, she would still be a familiar face, plus she'd be able to provide contact info for their family, so still a positive result. And I'm sure emergency responders are aware that the system isn't fool-proof.
Yea, it is a good idea. I was just saying for us, it's not necessary. All that info. is also registered with Medic Alert for us. Contacts and such. It would give those with kids that don't have medical issues peace of mind though, knowing somebody can be contacted quickly if something were to happen to them.

Is it something the state as a whole has to participate in?

NebraskaMom

ownedbyhorses-too bad the people who gave you only one weren't informed that they are to give (within reason) as many as the parent requests. This is part of the program.

menfusse[/COLOR-you're right it would be redundant for you to have it right now.

I FULLY understand that this is not something EACH and EVERY family would need at this point in time. I get that. Of the hundreds of thousands of kids who ride in car seats every single day, I'd be willing to bet 90% of those would be too traumatized after a crash involving a serious injury to their parent to respond to a "stranger" (police, fire, medic) pertinent information about them...including phone numbers, etc. Just because the 3 year old is a genius and knows their name, address, phone number, blood type, etc..doesn't mean crap after a crash and when someone unfamiliar to them is in their face.

Cell phones...yes I understand a lot of people have "ICE" in their cell phones now. Unfortunately cell phones, like anything else, become projectiles in a crash. If your phone is bolted down and not going anywhere in a crash, good for you...you're lucky.

This board is full of non-typical parents. We know and strive to know more information regarding child passenger safety, as well as "ideal" situations in the car (info for each child, multiple car-seats being swapped on a daily basis, etc) However, the vast majority of this country isn't like us. This program adds just a little more assurance in the event of a horrible crash.

Thanks for those of you who posted. Congrats if your kids are already among the idealistic vehicle situation.

Cryssy Jane

We have one hospital I believe that participates in the WHALE program. It use to be pretty popular 5-6 years ago, but I rarely see the stickers now. In fact, our fire station had it's open house last weekend, so I kinda quized them and used it as an opportunity to ask if there were techs and such. One fire fighter told me he didn't know what a tech was but that they install carseats :facepalm: I handed him a bunch of cards and further talked to the head honcho in charge who said he would have no problem referring families to me since they don't have a program, nor do the local police stations. We were talking about emergency cards and such, and the gentleman I was talking to said biggest concern is making sure everyone's ok and that they rarely look for anything like that.

emtb79

I actually do that sort of thing already but all the info is in my cell phone. I have each daycare parents contact info in there. Also their contact info has a picture of the kid.

This is actually how it looks:

contact name "J"(hudson)
phone# and where it says insert picture I take a picture of Hudson and put it in there. In notes I put in any allergies.

mommy-medic

I think having contact info on carseats is a good idea. You don't have to have the whale sticker- you can just write it on a label or tape a notecard to the seat.

I might get flamed for saying this, but in all honesty- if a wreck is minor and the caregiver is able to ambulate/talk then we aren't worried about identifying the child (and don't "need" the card). If a wreck is severe and the adults with any child are incapacitated or critical, our priority is getting them taken care of and to an appropriate facility, as well as the children and other occupants of the vehicle(s). Even the few responders trained on the WHALE stickers forget to look for them. The child is entered as john/jane/juan doe and transported, to be sorted out later. I see the identifying information as being more helpful to hospital staff- who have the time to spend with the patient and can look over the car seat (IF it is transported with the child- in BAD wrecks bystanders OFTEN yank kids out of seats and as a responder, if parents/adults are critical and kid has been yanked from seat already, getting that seat out to go with the child is my last concern)- but often times even with identifying information on carseats, hospital wait for law enforcement to run the vehicle tags/VIN and make identification before attempting to contact any of the contact information attached to the car seat for the reasons listed in the above responses- they don't want to notify the wrong family that they have a child from a wreck if it is a different child riding in that seat. (This is where a picture of said child on info sheet may help).

I guess what I am saying is in theory it is a good idea. It does help once in a while, but it's often overlooked/discredited even by those trained on it until positive identification can take place.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I have seen one on one infant bucket... I had NO clue what it was for, but I can assure you from the age/condition of the sticker, it isn't for the current child...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC