Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Moving to Australia

A friend of mine is moving from Canada to Australia in two months and wanted me to ask about seats for her. Right now she has a 2.5yo ds ff in a truefit and a 10mo dd in a bucket seat that will expire in december. Her plan is to take the TF on the plane and use it for the first bit when they get there for her dd. Is this allowed? Her SIL will pick them up from the airport and has older kids so the 2yo will have a seat until she buys one.

Which seats should she buy there? Do they even have seats to RF her dd who is 9 months right now and 17lb?

Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks!
    Alice, May 2009, riding in a Frontier
    Astrid, May 2015, riding in a Snugride 30

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Moving to Australia

Hi, I don't know how she'll go with the TF - if she can get it through the airport without being questioned, I doubt she'd be caught after that. As for the 17lb 9 month old, there are seats that will RF until 12kg (23lbs?). After that we only have FF seats that go to 18kg (33lbs?) then it's onto a booster. Hope that helps
    Aussie CPST, nanny, midwifery student, and Godmother to Rhylan & Tymerah!
    RHYLAN ~ 9/3/10, ERFing Aussie-style at 22 months and 13kg, in a Babylove Prelude
    TYMERAH ~ 29/9/11, RF in a Safety First One Safe at 12 weeks

I'm sorry (lol just kidding, its an Aussie/Kiwi thing).

I would tell her to bring seats from home, but that they will be illegal to use. I think most seats in Australia rf to 12 kg/26lbs, the forward face to 18kg/40lbs.

We recently spent a week in Australia and brought our Radian xtsl with us, no-one blinked an eye at it.
    Chrissy Mum to : Ds Isaac(6) & dd Annabelle(2)

Carseat Crazy

Agree with the prev posters. (incl. Finn's apology tehehe...)

It's pretty simple. If she wants to be legal in Australia, she can only use australian seats. Whilst they have really good seats, the downside is that they are small, with low limits. RF maximum of 12 kg, FF maximum of 18 kg, and boosters maximum of 26 kg. My DS outgrew the tallest shoulder slots in an Australian seat at 2yrs2mo, when he also exceeded 18kgs. That was when I started importing seats...

You'll find several posters here who are in Australia and using "illegal" seats, whether swedish or american. Whilst it's not legal, I haven't actually heard of anyone being prosecuted for using a non-australian seat. As your friend will see, there will be more than enough NON-use to keep enforcement officers busy...
    DS Dec 05, 24.5kg and 122cm - RF in a Britax Multi Tech until 3yrs8mos, now FF in a Britax Frontier and Frontier85
    DD Jan 08, 18 kg and 100cm - RF til 3yrs6mos, now FF in a Britax Frontier