how does new recaro prosport toddler seat compare to the britax frontier or the sunshine kids xl? (posted by Peter)

U

Unregistered

How does the new recaro prosport toddler seat compare to the britax frontier or the sunshine kids xl seat?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The ProSport has 18" top slots, a 90 pound harness limit. Then it becomes a high back booster to 120 pounds or 18.75" top belt guide height.

The Frontier 85 has 20" top slots, an 85 pound harness limit, a 120 pound booster limit, and 23" top belt guide height.

The Radian XTSL rear faces to 45 pounds, forward faces to 80 with 17.5" top slots. It is not a booster.

How old and heavy is the child for which you're shopping?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

My son is 16 months old and 26 pounds and 32.5" tall. We have a maxi cozi convertible seat that he is now close to the top of and the tall strap setting is now at it's highest height. So we need something larger. He is in the 97 percent height, so a bit tall for his age.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok, at 16 months a rear facing seat is the ideal by about 500%. So I'd look at the Radians and the Safety 1st Complete Air.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

We switched him to front facing last month because he will not do anything but scream when he is rear facing, he doesn't like his knees pushed up against him or not seeing us. Would you still recommend that seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What seat was he in? I'd recommend anything rear facing, but given his height and weight, I'd look at those seats first since they have higher rear facing weight limits (40-45 pounds) and tall shells.

Wendy

emandbri

The britax frontier is not an option since it has a minimum age of 2. Britax did this because they know children under 2 should be rear-facing.

Your child would be much, much safer rear-facing. It is very possible that he would do fine in a new seat with more leg room.

Here is a video about the importance of rear-facing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE"]YouTube - Rear facing is safer[/ame]

U

Unregistered

Thank you our doctor told us that at 1 years old he is fine to be front facing and this is at childrens hospital in Boston, ma. In fact they told us that over 32" he is likely to have a broken leg in a minor accident if he remains rear facing. So I guess I should go with the radian from sunshine or does the recaro also rear face, he sealed most comfortable in that seat do to the extra width and padding.

Jennifer mom to my 7

The prosport does not rear face.
What vehicle make model year is it?

You can look at the radians (rear face to 40 or 45 pounds), the safety first complete air (rf to 40), the graco myride 65 (rear face to 40), and the evenflo triumph 65 (also rf to 40).

Please, read this article from Pediatrics magazine. One your pedi should have already read.

http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/u...ar-Safety-Seats-Getting-the-Message-Right.pdf

and aap policy

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/550

Make sure you read past the at least 1 year and 20 pounds, but to the limit of the seat.

And watch this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]YouTube - Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car[/ame]

A child under 2 (the age our US study goes up to ) is 5 times more likely to suffer serious injury forward facing than rear facing. While forward facing their limbs fly forward, usually into the seat in front of them.

And the carseatblog post with all the links.

http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

cookie123

I really like the Radian for rear facing older kids. It's got good leg room, and the low profile makes it easy to get in and out of. It's got a nice tall back for lots of growing room. The harness adjuster is a bit of a pain. I finally gave in and stopped trying to adjust it each time. Matthew does well getting the harness on and buckling the chest clip himself.:)

Please check out the rear facing links. Unfortunately, many pediatricians are not up to date on car seat safety.

Here's a pic of my grandson rearfacing at about 2 1/2 in the radian. He's very comfy. Maybe a mirror would help?

IMG_0313.jpg

Last edited:

Alynys

Please please put your son back to rear facing. I was just in a very bad accident that totaled my vehicle 8 days ago. My 17 mos old was still RF and had not one mark on him or any injuries or even soreness. I unfortunately was injured and all of the ER doctors,paramedics and police said the only reason he wasn't injured was because he was RF. You just never know when an accident will occur. I have always faced my older kids forward facing shortly after 1. I am so glad I didn't with Finn.

krasota

Doctors aren't always up to date in best practice in all areas, especially stuff like carseats. You're getting (free!) advice here from trained technicians! Look at the sidebar and see how many of them are green (or red--Wendy is also a mod, so she's a different color). They have far more training in this area than most pediatricians (unless those peds have attended the training courses and obtained certification).

In addition to reviewing the rear facing information here, I'd ask your doctors for statistics on the number of rear-facing toddlers who have broken legs. There probably aren't any. Children are more likely to break legs while forward facing. Watch the crash test videos.

I feel for you on the car screaming. My child screamed until he was between two and three. Once he was tall enough to see out the side window, he was much happier. We took the bus a lot, instead. And walked. He's still rearfacing and now that he's older, he understands that it's safer and he requests to stay in his "recliner seat".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC