Vent Insurance not paying full replacement value

Laurette

So we were in an accident two weeks ago and I finally heard back from the insurance company (progressive) about replacing the carseats. They are taking depreciation into account when determing how much they will pay for the seats that were ruined in a wreck that was not my fault. It was the fault of the other driver who has insurance through Progressive. AND they said that my seats were only good for 5 years, which I KNOW is not correct. I had a Uptown(expiary of 8 years) and a Nautilus(expiary of 6 years with highback, and 9 years with no back).

This makes no sence to me! I will not be able to replace my seats with the amount they are offering. What can I do? Do I have to accept their offer or should I ask for a supervisor? And I wrong to expect them to PAY for the complete replacement of my seats?

ADS

Mags462

I am no car insurance pro by any means so take this for what it's worth but i find it a little unreasonable to assume they WOULD pay full value. It isn't worth that anymore. If you sold it in swap then you would get the depreciated value. I understand that it wasn't your fault and i completely understand the frustration ((((hugs)))) but that's how insurance works - you aren't getting full "new" value for your car. Your getting your current value for the car.

Obviously you have EVERY right to correct the misinformation about the lifespan of the seats. For SURE ask for a supervisor and demand your reimbursement reflects the correct lifespan, but other than that i can see where insurance is coming from. :eek:

mommyx4

See what your insurance will pay and if they will give you full replacement cost, then accept it and let them fight the other company. That is what I did with my accident. The other insurance company was giving me the run around so I went to mine. Statefarm told me to get new seats and send them the receipt. They never even asked to see the crashed ones.

Mags462

See what your insurance will pay and if they will give you full replacement cost, then accept it and let them fight the other company. That is what I did with my accident. The other insurance company was giving me the run around so I went to mine. Statefarm told me to get new seats and send them the receipt. They never even asked to see the crashed ones.

She can't play that game.... they both have the same insurance carrier :rolleyes: It stinks for her that if she DID have a different insurance carrier than the other driver she probably WOULD get full value. :thumbsdown:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I have had my seats replaced by insurance twice and both times they paid full value(Geico both times).

Even if the seats are not worth the price of new ones unfortunately you have to pay full price to replace them. You can't go out and find seats that are 2-3 years old.:rolleyes:

I would fight them tooth and nail until they replace them at full value. I think some people here have dealt with this before and hopefully they'll pop in and let us know how it turned out for them.

Mags462

We don't have the same insurance company, actually. Maybe I will ask ours... Thanks for the tip.

Ah sorry, i misunderstood your post! Then i completely agree - go fight!! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately when both parties are represented by the same insurance it's always harder :mad:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Even if the seats are not worth the price of new ones unfortunately you have to pay full price to replace them. You can't go out and find seats that are 2-3 years old.:rolleyes:

Absolutely. For most items, it's fair to expect a depreciated replacement value. However, you shouldn't buy used car seats. They're a critical piece of safety equipment. Just like you can't replace airbags with used ones.

I would write a letter (or get a CPST to write one) stating the dangers of purchasing used seats. You have NO option but to buy new seats for your children, and the at-fault driver (or his/her insurance) should bear the cost.

Laurette

And it's not like these were $300 carseats!

Another problem I'm having is that I allready surrendered the seats to the company. I now know I shouldn't have done that but we didn't have a car and I didn't have anywhere to put them while I waited. I also wasn't sure if I'd be able to get them there becaues we were all riding in DH's tiny two door 94 Sentra.

I know the seats say on them about the life but I have no proof because I don't have the seats here with me. :-/

amyd

And it's not like these were $300 carseats!

Another problem I'm having is that I allready surrendered the seats to the company. I now know I shouldn't have done that but we didn't have a car and I didn't have anywhere to put them while I waited. I also wasn't sure if I'd be able to get them there becaues we were all riding in DH's tiny two door 94 Sentra.

I know the seats say on them about the life but I have no proof because I don't have the seats here with me. :-/

You should be able to download the manuals. If you need model #'s, you can post here and someone with the same seats should be able to help you out.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have had my seats replaced by insurance twice and both times they paid full value(Geico both times).

I would fight them tooth and nail until they replace them at full value. I think some people here have dealt with this before and hopefully they'll pop in and let us know how it turned out for them.

Absolutely. My car was totaled and the insurance adjuster (I have Geico) didn't want to replace since the seats were not occupied. I brought him the manuals from all 3 seats stating the rules for replacement (Britax, which follows the NHTSA guidelines, Safety 1st/Dorel and Combi which both say to replace after any crash) and they had me order new seats and reimbursed me. My total was $781 and they didn't blink at the total. They recoup their expenses from the at-fault girl's insurance anyway ;) My seats were under a month old, but there is no reason for them to only give you partial payment for the seats. Like Dani said, you can't go buy some used seats off craigslist to replace your crashed ones. :confused:

skitle1802

In CA, the insurance has to fund new seats or reimburse the purchase of replacement seats, if they were occupied in the collision. CA insurance code

I would fight it and check your state's insurance code.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Absolutely. My car was totaled and the insurance adjuster (I have Geico) didn't want to replace since the seats were not occupied. I brought him the manuals from all 3 seats stating the rules for replacement (Britax, which follows the NHTSA guidelines, Safety 1st/Dorel and Combi which both say to replace after any crash) and they had me order new seats and reimbursed me. My total was $781 and they didn't blink at the total. They recoup their expenses from the at-fault girl's insurance anyway ;) My seats were under a month old, but there is no reason for them to only give you partial payment for the seats. Like Dani said, you can't go buy some used seats off craigslist to replace your crashed ones. :confused:

In both our "accidents" Geico was really good about replacing our carseats. In our latest it was an "at fault" accident between my husband and a concrete block in the middle of a car lot. Haha!!:D It was one of those big, yellow round concrete blocks that they have the big pole lights mounted in...but they light pole was removed so it was just a block in the middle of the parking area. Anyway he parked next to it and was in the car with the kids while I was filling out paperwork inside and when we went to leave he forgot he parked next to it (couldn't see it as it was only 2-3 ft tall) and just ripped his truck all down the side on it. But even it being such a stupid, at-fault accident they still happily gave me $680 to replace my seats. And that is why I stay with them.:thumbsup:

This was about an hour after my husband said "I don't know if you can handle driving a car this big (while on our test drive)" to which I got all offended and said "yeah right...I have had plenty big cars never having an issue and I have been driving your truck for the past two months and haven't had any issues!" Gotta love a little KARMA!
wrech.jpg

pepsicola

They absolutely should pay you 100% of what they cost you, or reimburse you for the new seats you buy.

The other driver took your car seats away when they wrecked your car. It is up to their insurance to put your kids back in those same exact seats in order to make you 'whole'. That is an insurance company's legal duty. That is only possible by buying brand new ones.

Paying "market value" for your "used" seats makes no sense, especially since when you buy a used car seat one of the guidelines is you need to buy from a trusted person to know it's history. That would mean you would have to have friends with the same exact car seats that would sell you theirs!

I hope it works out for you. You've got plenty of reinforcements here on c-s!:)

NannyMom

If you go through your insurance, you'll have to pay your deductible. But your insurance will make sure the at fault reimburses you for it. Not sure how that would work if your deductible is higher than the carseats value.

I was in a crash and all I had on the other driver was tag number. I went through my insurance, while they tracked down the at fault.

I just got rid of geico last week (our insurance went through the roof after DH was in an accident last xmas, the police report was done incorrectly and he was found at fault.. he really should not have been cause the other driver was in the WRONG LANE) Everyone is making me regret it lol, anyways We got Esurance after that people say they are good.. and our premium is a lot better now, but augh.. I am worried for our car seats lol I might britax out my sorento since I have blind spots.. then I don't have to worry unless the carsh is serious.:whistle:

In both our "accidents" Geico was really good about replacing our carseats. In our latest it was an "at fault" accident between my husband and a concrete block in the middle of a car lot. Haha!!:D It was one of those big, yellow round concrete blocks that they have the big pole lights mounted in...but they light pole was removed so it was just a block in the middle of the parking area. Anyway he parked next to it and was in the car with the kids while I was filling out paperwork inside and when we went to leave he forgot he parked next to it (couldn't see it as it was only 2-3 ft tall) and just ripped his truck all down the side on it. But even it being such a stupid, at-fault accident they still happily gave me $680 to replace my seats. And that is why I stay with them.:thumbsup:

This was about an hour after my husband said "I don't know if you can handle driving a car this big (while on our test drive)" to which I got all offended and said "yeah right...I have had plenty big cars never having an issue and I have been driving your truck for the past two months and haven't had any issues!" Gotta love a little KARMA!

Last edited by a moderator:

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor

See I wouldn't think that a slow moving "scuff" would qualify as a crash... Correct me if I am wrong. I hit a dog at 30mph, cracked my headlight, didn't replace those seats...never crossed my mind.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
See I wouldn't think that a slow moving "scuff" would qualify as a crash... Correct me if I am wrong. I hit a dog at 30mph, cracked my headlight, didn't replace those seats...never crossed my mind.

Well according to the NHTSA criteria since the door closest to the car seat was damaged (it also would no longer open) that one needed to be replaced. I had the other one replaced as well because insurance expected to replace both and I was fine with that and didn't mention it not *needing* to be replaced.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I just got rid of geico last week (our insurance went through the roof after DH was in an accident last xmas, the police report was done incorrectly and he was found at fault.. he really should not have been cause the other driver was in the WRONG LANE) Everyone is making me regret it lol, anyways We got Esurance after that people say they are good.. and our premium is a lot better now, but augh.. I am worried for our car seats lol I might britax out my sorento since I have blind spots.. then I don't have to worry unless the carsh is serious.:whistle:

We are getting rid of Geico as soon as our policy is up next month. They have been a huge, horrible nightmare. :thumbsdown:

Kobain's Mommy

We had Geico but got rid of it when we bought out house. It was cheaper for us to go with the company that was doing our home owners insurance. We tried Geico for home insurance and they wanted so much that we' have paid $200 more a month now on our escrowed morgage.

Anyways, the seats should be replaced at full value. We got a base replaced since the seat wasn't in the car at the time. But there was no issues fighting insurance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC