Complete Air 65

Ninetales

So we stopped in BRU today and I got a look at the CA 65. We didn't have time for me to really get into looking at it but what I did see looked awesome.

I did have one question though. It looked to me like the harness height is adjusted by moving the headwings up and down. Do I have that right? If so I love that.

And I've seen that the manufacturer says that there is a 40" height limit. Do I have to stop using it Rfing when my daughter is 40" really, or can I follow the 1 inch rule?

How easy is it to install? I'm still pretty much a noob at this. And, if we have a SR 35 installed, then a CA65 should fit in the same place, right?

She's not on the top slots of the infant seat yet, but I'm kind of jonesing for a new seat. But I've been thinking I can install the CA65 and keep the infant seat for when my husband has the car and we have to ride with someone else. I suppose this is just the start of the addiction, huh?

ADS

ericarizo

Yes the harness adjusts by moving the headrest up and down. You can use the seat RF till there is 1 inch of headrest above their head.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
Yep the harness is adjusted by moving the head wings up and down. It's really easy. I'm comfortable using the 1" rule for rf. It should fit in the same place as the SR35. It can also more up right than 45 degrees.

I have the CA LX which has a base. I find it easy to install. You probably have to pull the cover off of one side to pull the latch strap or seat belt to get it tight. I've also installed one without the base and you may need a rolled towel or a noodle to get the correct recline.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
40" vs 1" is parental decision. As a tech, I need to tell you that you should always follow your manufacturer's instructions. But I will also add that Cosco has said that shell above head is more important than overall height.

Many techs will tell you to follow the 1" rule; others will insist you need to stick to the 40". As I tech, I need to tell you that if you choose to continue to RF your daughter after she's 40", you are exercising parental judgement in disregarding the manual (even if I would opt to disregard it myself... :whistle:)

Sarah62008

Senior Community Member
Yep the harness is adjusted by moving the head wings up and down. It's really easy. I'm comfortable using the 1" rule for rf. It should fit in the same place as the SR35. It can also more up right than 45 degrees.

I have the CA LX which has a base. I find it easy to install. You probably have to pull the cover off of one side to pull the latch strap or seat belt to get it tight. I've also installed one without the base and you may need a rolled towel or a noodle to get the correct recline.

:yeahthat:

I LOVE my CALX. The 65lbs version has the same harness height as the original. The only difference is seat covers, weight limit(FF), and strap covers.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My unresolved question is why they give a 40" standing height limit, when competitive seats of similar type do not have such a low limit. Personally, I would not consider it an arbitrary limit, otherwise they could revise the owners manual or issue an official addendum of some type in writing. I hope this would eventually be changed unless it is a design issue, considering the potential safety benefits it would give this seat in terms of extended rear-facing. I wish I had remembered to ask about the wording in the manual for the revised 65 pound version at ABC Kids expo.

Jocey'sMommy

:yeahthat:

I LOVE my CALX. The 65lbs version has the same harness height as the original. The only difference is seat covers, weight limit(FF), and strap covers.

I don't see any pics with strap covers??? I would def sell my Britax seat to buy a CA65 if it strap covers cause DD requires them lol :whistle:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't see any pics with strap covers??? I would def sell my Britax seat to buy a CA65 if it strap covers cause DD requires them lol :whistle:

These covers are a little bit more like HUGS on Britax seats, plus they extend all the way up. I think there was a picture in Heather's blog.

I'm also thinking they made a change to the base to provide a flatter, more friendly surface to contact the vehicle seat. Might have been on the 3-in-1, can't remember!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You're right, Darren... HUGS are attached like the old-school attached Britax HUGS used to be years ago (or the Nania things, remember those on the Airway? lol), with a strap on the back that keeps them right there at the slots all the time. They are very small and very black and very hard to see. And the base has some smooth things to make it possibly a nicer install... here's my thread on it... http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1431423

To the OP, the seat is virtually the same as the Complete Air with the 50lb limit, which is virtually the same as the Alpha Omega Elite (but missing the base and the booster functions, though the LX that people are mentioning does have a recline base).
This is just the latest incarnation of the Alpha Omega that's been out for 10+ years, it has it's lovers and it's haters like any other seat that's been out for so long :)

Ninetales

Yeah, the one I looked at had covers on the straps.

I love the height on this carseat but it is a really hard decision because of the 40" limit. With some techs (and possibly Dorel, if I'm understanding correctly) saying it's ok, it makes it hard to understand why they have the arbitrary limit.

Of course, with my daughter being so tall and heavy I don't have really any other option than a Radian, which I can't really afford. At least I have awhile before her height is an issue, and maybe she'll slow down. :)

Louisa

CPST Instructor
I just tried one in our nannys car this morning! i was prepared for it not to work because an old 3 in 1 i had in the closet did not install well at all! but it was great, i was thirlled, it is deffinately a different instal, there are these weird little ski looking things on the bottom

pepsicola

My unresolved question is why they give a 40" standing height limit, when competitive seats of similar type do not have such a low limit. Personally, I would not consider it an arbitrary limit, otherwise they could revise the owners manual or issue an official addendum of some type in writing. I hope this would eventually be changed unless it is a design issue, considering the potential safety benefits it would give this seat in terms of extended rear-facing. I wish I had remembered to ask about the wording in the manual for the revised 65 pound version at ABC Kids expo.

Darren, would you, as parent/tech, not use a seat rf past its stated limit? Maybe a taller child could throw off the center of gravity of the seat & make it over recline (whats the right word?) in an accident? At least, that's my guess. Just throwing it out there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC