I hate my current setup

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yet again, I'm opting to think this out here rather than on paper. Figure if anyone has any feedback that might be helpful, I'll take it... right now I'm just going 'round in circles.

Seven kids:

Full-time:
CT, 6.7y, 65lb, 49"
J, 3y8m, 43-44lb, 42".
S, 20mos, 29lb, ?"
K, 3mos, 14.5lb.

AM-only:
N, 5.5y, 52lb, 46"

PM-only:
CC, 4.5y, 33lb, 40"
CS, 2.5y, 23lb, ?"

Current setup (driver to pass):
Third row - Radian80SL (J), MyRide (S), Avenue (CS)
Second row - Monterey (C), SR35 baseless(K), Nautilus (N/CC)

Other available seats: FPSVB, CCO (which I would like to sell,) Scenera, Cosco HBB and Pronto.

The problem, ironicly, is the second row. The best setup I've found for N&CC to share a seat is to LATCH the Nautilus, have CC use it in harnessed mode, and have N use it as a booster. I'm aware that I can just set the straps to the highest strap setting and have them both use it that way, but I tried that (center) and really really hate it. CC is so petite it just looks like the seat is eating her alive. I have trouble deciding whether or not the straps are tight enough, and she doesn't look comfortable. Plus I feel like it gives her too much latitude in leaning over the baby.

The Monterey goes outboard, in the other LATCH position. It must be LATCHed. Not optional.

I tried the SR35 baseless in the center. It was the worst thing EVER. (Yes, I'm being melodramatic. ;)) Seriously, I couldn't tell if I'd gotten it installed tightly enough, and even if I put the base in there

If I let go of my requirement that the Monterey be LATCHed, I could put it center, the SR35 outboard passenger, and the Nautilus outboard driver. But then I have to untether the Radian, which I'm not crazy about with a 44lb child in it. The SR35 won't fit behind the driver.

My newest plan is to sell both the CCO and the Nautilus, and get a CA65. Install it center, adjust the harness height as needed. Then the Monterey can stay LATCHed and the SR35 can stay outboard. (I can get a base for it if I'm going to be using it long-term, although I haven't minded the baseless install. It doesn't take me long.) But I have to sell the seats first, I can't buy a new seat without funding one. I could *maybe* sell just the CCO, and then pay the rest for a CA65 OOP.

The other option would be to switch out the FPSVB and Scenera, but that's switching them four days a week and I'm not crazy about that. I would put the Scenera in RF, because she fits (or put her in the Avenue and CS in the Scenera.) But I'd like to avoid the frequent reinstalls. The upside is that with the SR35 baseless, I'd at least have a clear path to install the seat.

Dream option is to import a dang MT, which would satisfy N's want to RF and not require a reinstall... ;)

I'd like to move K to a convertible -- in fact I had planned on using one from the start -- but the darned bucket is so convenient. I think N moved out of one at 4mos (outgrew a SR20) and I felt that was a little early; J was like 6 or 8 mos IIRC. That was ok. I think she just needs a bit more tone, so that I'm not trying to snuggle a newborn while wrangling a ton of kids and their stuff.

Down the road, I'd move S to the Radian and K to the MyRide; this turns J FF but I'd like to use the Nautilus, which I'd have to sell to fund a CA. If I could put it off 'til summer, I would just put N in a booster and let J use the CA (I don't have CC/CS in the summer) but I don't think he's going to make it that long before he hits 45lbs.

Option #612 is to put the N/CC seat in the third row, but I think I'm still stuck with a CA65; I don't think anything else will easily adjust for both of them. And I don't know if the CA65 will fit there. Every time I borrow a seat from BRU, they make a comment upon its return about how long it's taken -- so I'm hesitant to do that. I'm also not sure that really helps me.

The Radian/MR combo must stay where it is. Only other option for that space is MR/FPSVB, but N is the only kid who can ride in that seat.

Help?!? Am I missing something obvious, and easy?

ADS

emtb79

Can you post pics of seats with kids iun them or at least seats installed if you cant post pics of the kids. I'm a visual person. All the words just make my brain go nutty.

Oh and tell BRU to go stuff it. You need to try it out if they want you to buy it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC