More ABC Kids: Kiddy and Evenflo - Automated Feed from the Official Car-Seat.Org Blog!

ADS

Sarah62008

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure how I feel about a booster with a shield. I always was told they weren't as safe. So how is this one differant? BTW they look awesome.

Evolily

I'm not sure how I feel about a booster with a shield. I always was told they weren't as safe. So how is this one differant? BTW they look awesome.

American shield booster generally aren't safe. These boosters, though, are very different. First they are made of energy absorbing material- like EPS or EPP I believe. Second they hug the body snugly. The american style boosters were hard plastic and did not fit snugly on the body, causing kids to fly forward and hit them, and in some cases just eject from them.

Potentially, these are safer than harnesses as they spread crash forces more evenly and allow the head and shoulders to ride down together. Britax use to sell one under the name "Britax Laptop" which was very popular here (they are now all expired) and a really good solution in lap only positions where a tether cannot be retrofitted (it went to 60 lbs IIRC).

Pixels

The old shield boosters had two main problems: kids were getting ejected in side impacts and rollovers (though the seats passed testing with our federal frontal test requirement), and the head excursion was too high. When the old shield boosters were being made, they didn't have the 6yo or 10yo dummies yet. The biggest dummy was the 3yo, and if the seat passed with the 3yo, then it passed. When they introduced the 6yo dummy and required passing with that as well, all those shield boosters couldn't pass the head excursion requirements.

This shield booster is designed differently than the shield boosters of the 80s and 90s. It passes testing with the 6yo dummy (it will have to in order to be sold) and it hugs the body much more snugly so ejection isn't a problem.

AtTheSouthDam

I want one of the booster! I have an aweful feeling DD2 is going to be a bit too close to 40# in May to justify it though. :crying:

fyrfightermomma

I want one of the booster! I have an aweful feeling DD2 is going to be a bit too close to 40# in May to justify it though. :crying:

Me too. I still have my Recaro Start with Shield but Evelyn can't use it because of her button and Sophia's getting mighty close to the limit. Not to mention I think the Start has expired by now :( By the time this comes out Sophia will easily be 40 lbs. :(

Laurette

Why the 40# limit. My 40# child would not be riding full time in a booster so that does me no good. My DS is 44# at just 5 years old anyway...

christineka

It looks neat to me, but not justifiable for my family. My dd is 35 pounds. I'm sure she'd be safer in the shield, but I think she's reasonably safe in her 5 point harness. I doubt a shield seat would work as well in my two- three acrosses, even if I could justify spending that much money on a different seat.

Evolily

We're really into upping weight limits on harnesses in this country, what will be interesting is if they start making and selling shields that go up to higher weight limits. I would be interested if they went to 60 lbs or higher.

Shanora

From my understanding they are safers than harnesses, due to the way your child can ride down a collision better (I read a study a while back...I'll have to see if I can find it).

But I highly doubt that this seat would hit canadian market. Although very cute!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC