difference between US and Canadian seats?

amelia222

I know imported seats aren't legal to use and each country has their own testing criteria. But what is the difference between the seats? Are they any different structurally, or is it just the stickers?

Nt questioning the legality of it, just one of those things I lie awake wondering about. Especially after seeing all the pretty covers the Americans get...

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends on the seat. Some are exactly the same but have different labeling (and have passed the tests separately), some have modifications from one country to another (extra foam, slight structural modifications, etc.) to pass the different standard.

The Orbit Infant seat is cross-border approved. It's the only one that is so far.

shauburg

But what is the difference between the seats? Are they any different structurally, or is it just the stickers?

Some brands/models are the same in Canada & the US and some are different. For example, a seat may need to have more cushioning added to the head area to meet Canadian standards. It's not always easy or possible to tell if the seats are the same or different just by looking at them.

Have you seen this before? Cross Border Shopping Is Not the Best Deal for Your Child's Safety

If it's just a special cover that you want, some seat manufacturers have okayed using American covers on Canadian seats, if you can order one from them or find one on swap, etc...

babyherder

As far as I can tell, price and weight limits. :shrug-shoulders: I don't think seats from either country are safer or more dangerous as long as they are used as recommended. Or better than recommended (like no three year olds in boosters no matter what country the booster is from). I buy US seats cause they're cheaper and they're legal where I live.

selinajean

As far as I can tell, price and weight limits. :shrug-shoulders: I don't think seats from either country are safer or more dangerous as long as they are used as recommended. Or better than recommended (like no three year olds in boosters no matter what country the booster is from). I buy US seats cause they're cheaper and they're legal where I live.

Where is that?

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I assume you are in Canada. Can you elaborate on where you are located and how is it legal to use US seats? I might mis-read something from your post though.

And for the records, there are some differences in some seats to meet safety testing standards and often not visible. These differences often only known on places like c-s.org where we would compare our Canadian seats to US seats. No one out there is listing the differences (other than prices, limits and covers) for us to know but they are known here because we have enough members with pictures and knowledge to know what to look for or what to compare :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Both the Nautilus and MyRide are different in Canada. They both have foam pieces that the U.S. models do not. Those are just 2 examples I know off the top of my head, I am sure there are others.

AllieCanada

Both the Nautilus and MyRide are different in Canada. They both have foam pieces that the U.S. models do not. Those are just 2 examples I know off the top of my head, I am sure there are others.

Exactly. This is the headrest area of a Canadian Nautilus. The ones in the US do not have that extra piece of foam in the centre of the headrest
009-3.jpg

selinajean

When the FrontierXT was first released in Canada this year, there was a recall/advisory (can't remember which) very shortly after. I remember reading that it was due to the seats not having enough padding in the headrest. It met US standards but was not upgraded to meet the Canadian standards. Do I have that right? I'm just thinking that is a perfect example of how seats can vary.

babyherder

I'm in the U.S. New York more specifically, if anyone wants to know. Sorry, no idea how to use US seats legally in Canada! Its just a subject I've been interested in since I had a really cheap evenflo chase but could only use it to 40lbs. I contemplated the Canadian version until I found the price difference. Grrr. But I did stop at 40lb. Good to know about the padding differences in some seats.

amelia222

Thanks for the info! I'd read the transport canada article, but it's not specific on why we shouldn't use US seats here, just says not to.

hipmaman

Thanks for the info! I'd read the transport canada article, but it's not specific on why we shouldn't use US seats here, just says not to.

As mentioned... these differences often only known on places like c-s.org where we would compare our Canadian seats to US seats. No one out there is listing the differences (other than prices, limits and covers) for us to know but they are known here because we have enough members with pictures and knowledge to know what to look for or what to compare :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

It's quite common for manufacturers to put something extra in Canadian seats that isn't present in US seats in order for it to pass a standard we have called compression-deflection testing. Basically, any area that a child's head could contact in the seat, has to give a certain amount, and bounce back a certain amount, when a device is pressed against it.

The very base level of the Radian in Canada has extra comfort foam that the radian 65 doesn't have. I know there are other seats in Canada - such as the My Ride, Nautilus, and Frontier XT that also have additional material in the head area. I believe the original MA had something different about the foam as well.

Sometimes it may be something as simple as density of foam being used, or the foam being slightly thicker.

There are also some actual dynamic testing differences between countries as well. The differences will be less once manufacturers have to comply to the new standards starting January 1, 2011, but they will still remain. For example, CMVSS 213 will require that all harnessed seats be tested with a lap belt, UAS, and a lap/shoulder belt. The US FMVSS 213 standard does not require the lap/shoulder test. And that is actually a pretty significant thing when you consider most vehicles in use have a lap/shoulder belts in the position a car seat is installed in...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
So why does a change in foam density cost $150 more?

That's not the whole story. Distribution is more difficult in many parts of Canada. In addition less units are sold, and certification tests are expensive, so to bring seats to a market where less units will be sold always requires a higher unit price to make the same profit margin.

I try to remember that all of Canada has about as many people as California, last I checked. That helps me understand the economy of scale implications. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
That's not the whole story. Distribution is more difficult in many parts of Canada. In addition less units are sold, and certification tests are expensive, so to bring seats to a market where less units will be sold always requires a higher unit price to make the same profit margin.

I try to remember that all of Canada has about as many people as California, last I checked. That helps me understand the economy of scale implications. :)

And not to mention that producing pieces of extra foam in a smaller quantity isn't cheap. If it was super cheap for the company to do so, they'd likely just add it to all their seats. But they aren't doing that. The difference isn't always foam anyway from what I have seen. It is literally extra pieces. Extra foam in the head area, extra foam on the sides to create bolsters for rebound tests which then require different covers to fit...

This thread is 6.5 years old. The differences between Canadian and U.S. seats has only increased in that time period due to changing standards.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC