What to do in an accident...

MommytoJAM

So I'm brand new to this forum, and hopefully I'm posting this question in the right section.:eek:

My question is: I've been thinking, God forbid I get in an accident with my LO in the car, but if it happens, what do I do? Do I leave him in the car seat until an ambulance arrives? Even if the accident is not that severe, should I call for an ambulance anyway, to make sure my LO is okay? And what if it's a fender bender that doesn't require medical treatment, car being towed, etc. - would the car seat technically be unsafe at that point? Would it be safe to drive home with him in that car seat? I've only been in one car accident in my life, long before DS was born. The car was totaled and had to be towed, but I was perfectly fine. I just got to thinking, what on earth would I have done if I'd had a LO with me!:confused:

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

If he requires medical attention, then yes, leave him in the seat if you can. They'll just strap him into it and it'll help hold his spine. Now if somehow he's bleeding out his back and you need to take him out to stop the bleeding, then do that, but if you can, leave him in.

The seat is unsafe to use after any collision (unless it's a Britax, which allows for minor collisions. There are one or two other seats that allow for minor, but I can't remember what they are now). If your car is drivable, you drive home, then replace the seat before you go out again. Or if you're near a store, you can stop and buy a new seat right away. If it's someone else's fault, their insurance will pay for a new seat.

If it's SO minor that it's really a question of if it's a crash at all, then the seat is likely just fine. Like you're backing out and you hit a signpost at 3 mph. Technically yes, it's a crash, but is it really?

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC