Question Best position for FF'ing carseat

U

Unregistered

Many apologies as I'm sure this has been asked before. DD is 25.5 months, currently RF'ing in a Marathon and a Boulevard (30lb RF limit, purchased Sept. 2009). She weighed 28lbs early last month, need to get her back on the scale now, and with the 30lb RF'ing limit on her seats we have to turn her FF'ing soon. Buying 2 new seats to keep her RF'ing longer is probably not an option. She is currently behind the passenger seat in both vehicles ('08 Saab 9-3 sedan and '10 Ford Flex), both have side curtain airbags, LATCH outboard only. When we flip her seats around, what is the best position to put them in? Would the centre position be safest because of the side airbags? The Saab doesn't have the greatest rear legroom either and I can just envision her if behind the passenger seat bracing her feet on the back of the seat when it's finally pushed back to a comfortable spot. Thanks!!

ADS

myliljunebugs

You just bought them a year ago? It's been a LONG time since they only had a 30lb RF'ing limit. The one I bought when DD was born (so June 2005, would almost be expired) had a 33lb. You might check the dates on them and make sure they aren't expired. And double check the stickers for the weight limit also. :)

Pixels

MLJB, this is the Canadian forum. :)

The center is the safest position, regardless of side airbags. LATCH isn't any safer than seatbelt, it's just supposed to be easier, though it's not always.

Pixels

Sometimes threads get moved, and sometimes mistakes happen. I've crossed the border a time or two without realizing it.

U

Unregistered

Thanks! Sorry, should have put I was in Canada, duh! So annoying that our seats had the lower RF'ing limit. Love the seats and so does DD just wish they had a higher limit.

TIA

dogmelissa

Pixels is, of course, correct about position. However, if you can't get a good install in the centre, then obviously it needs to go outboard.
FWIW, you could consider selling one or both of your seats to recover some of the cost of buying longer RF seats if you wanted to. The Truefit RF to 35 lbs (it may take a long time for her to reach that point now), for example, and regularly goes on sale for about $150 (or is it $179 on sale?) at Zellers. I could be wrong but I think the general formula for calculating how much to resell your seat for is to take the original price divided by lifespan in months then subtract the 'price per month' based on number of months past.
There are also a couple other higher-weight seats you could look at if you wanted to stay RF, but you've done a great job already so don't feel bad if you decide to turn her. Might just want to keep the seats out of kickable range. :)

Melissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC