Tell me about your MyRide....

Chila88

So I have my 8 month old, 22ish pound daughter rf in a BV. I just got a brand new cover for it which I :love: but (and here comes the crappy part) I forgot how much I HATE the BV harness when rearfacing. Its so tough, and there is so much yanking, tugging and a tiny bit of swearing now and again. :eek: Yesterday DH asked me 'how much longer do we have to rf her for??' and this is when I decided I needed a better seat for rf, cuz I'm obviously not stopping any time soon! I can use the BV as our spare seat in DH car, which will actually come in very very handy. So all is not lost!!!! I am deciding between getting a Marathon65 (I'm in Canada...so that's the same as your MA70) or a MyRide. Opinions? I've tried DD in the MA and like it....but didn't feel overwhelming love. I think its the $. It's $299 and I can get a MR for $150 on sale right now. But, I know I like the quality of Britax seats, as well as how easily I can pop them in and out of my van. So I'm torn! Can you guys answer a few questions about the MR for me? And if you have any pics of your kids in one, that would be fantastic too!

1. The top slots are the same on both the MR and the MA right? Does the MR require rethreading?
2. The MR cover feels a lot thinner and less durable....will it hold up?
3. The latch clips look kind of cheap and flimsy, (I'm used to the alligator style)....do these work as well? Are they as easy to use?
4. Since I'm used to head wings....what do young kids heads do while sleeping? Are the edges close enough that their heads can rest on them, or do they tend to slump to the side?
5. I drive an 04 Sienna, can anyone comment on a MR install in there?
6. The straps seem pretty flimsy in comparison to Britax straps. Are they known for being fairly twisty?

I think that's it.....thanks in advance for your help!

ADS

Mom2FiveGirls

I love ours...so do DD#4 and DD#5. Some people don't like is forward facing, but I like it and its DD#4's seat of choice (she outgrew it RFing a few months ago...she turned 5 last month).

1. The top slots are the same on both the MR and the MA right? Does the MR require rethreading? I'm not sure about the top slots, but I'm pretty sure the shell height is similar to the MA. Yes, the MR requires rethreading.

2. The MR cover feels a lot thinner and less durable....will it hold up? We haven't had any problems with the covers on the MR.

3. The latch clips look kind of cheap and flimsy, (I'm used to the alligator style)....do these work as well? Are they as easy to use? I've only installed it using latch once in my sister's car (neither of our vehicles have latch) and it was easy enough to install. No experience with the alligator style though).

4. Since I'm used to head wings....what do young kids heads do while sleeping? Are the edges close enough that their heads can rest on them, or do they tend to slump to the side? Both my girls sleep very comfortably in it. No head slump at all. :)

6. The straps seem pretty flimsy in comparison to Britax straps. Are they known for being fairly twisty? We haven't had any problems with the straps twisting.

Here are some pics!

DD#4 a couple weeks ago. She looks squished to me, but says its "super comfy" and doesn't complain at all.
DSC_0043.jpg

DD#4 about 9 or so months ago
IMG_1024.jpg

P1030149.jpg
DD#5 October 2009

Chila88

Thanks!!! Do you find the harness (and harness strap itself) easy to adjust while RF? I've read some reviews that have said it can be tough rf....which is why I am swapping out the BV, so that's obviously not what I want!!!!!

msg221

1. The top slots are the same on both the MR and the MA right? Does the MR require rethreading? Yes, you will have to rethread the straps.

2. The MR cover feels a lot thinner and less durable....will it hold up? I don't think the cover is that bad. It seems like it would hold up just fine.

3. The latch clips look kind of cheap and flimsy, (I'm used to the alligator style)....do these work as well? Are they as easy to use? I am not a fan of the LATCH connectors, but then I've been spoiled with the ones on the TF and the Britax seats

4. Since I'm used to head wings....what do young kids heads do while sleeping? Are the edges close enough that their heads can rest on them, or do they tend to slump to the side? The kids that rode in mine never had a problem with head slump.

5. I drive an 04 Sienna, can anyone comment on a MR install in there?

6. The straps seem pretty flimsy in comparison to Britax straps. Are they known for being fairly twisty? I didn't have problems with the straps twisting.

I think that's it.....thanks in advance for your help!

I'm no longer using the MR in my car. I prefer the TF and MA that I have. I didn't have any problems with the harness adjuster when used RF.

Mom2FiveGirls

I haven't had any trouble adjusting the harness when RFing. Right now DD#2 buckles DD#5 into her seat (I check behind her) and she can adjust the harness without and trouble. She's 8 and has low tone and fine motor skills delays and still doesn't have any problem with it.

Chila88

I'm no longer using the MR in my car. I prefer the TF and MA that I have. I didn't have any problems with the harness adjuster when used RF.

You have the MA70 in Allison right? That is the other one I am choosing between!!! Yeah...I was hoping there would be someone one here who has owned both!!! :) Do you find the MA70 takes up less room front to back? (this would be a big bonus for my 6'2" dh) I've heard...but please confirm for me one more time that the new Britax harness adjuster is a nicer smooth tighten than the old one while rf??? Do you have to pull the straps from behind the seat to get them tight enough, or are you able to get them nice and tight by just pulling the adjuster strap?

What specifically is it that you like better about your MA than your old MR?

3acorns4Christy

I love that the latch you don't have to rethread. Love it!
Joel is at the age, he's 4y 7m, that he goes either way. He still fits well under height/weight limit RF but only likes it for long drives or during naptime. So having two sets of latch has been awesome, flip him when we go far or when he's tired and FF short drives. The seat installs fast with latch either way.

ETA:
We had two MA's, I hate both of them. They have very little leg room and sit really high so in our truck it's hard to get him in and out without hitting his head each time.

msg221

You have the MA70 in Allison right? That is the other one I am choosing between!!! Yeah...I was hoping there would be someone one here who has owned both!!! :) Do you find the MA70 takes up less room front to back? (this would be a big bonus for my 6'2" dh) I've heard...but please confirm for me one more time that the new Britax harness adjuster is a nicer smooth tighten than the old one while rf??? Do you have to pull the straps from behind the seat to get them tight enough, or are you able to get them nice and tight by just pulling the adjuster strap?

What specifically is it that you like better about your MA than your old MR?

Yes, I have the MA70 in Allison as well. You know, I still have the MR and could install it and take a pic of both and measure so you can see the comparison. I am amazed at how much room there is behind the MA70, even with it reclined fully for RF. I haven't measured, but am sure there's at least 4 inches behind the passenger side. Thankfully neither DH or I need to push the seat all the way back (I am 5'7", and he's 5'10") so we can install it behind either seat comfortably.

As for the harness adjuster, yes, it is sooooo smooth. I love it!

What I like better, and this is just because of my situation with different size kids in it, is the easily adjustable harness (no rethreading!), the amount of room behind the seats, kids are comfy and since Nour, who rides in it most of the time, is such a peanut, she has plenty of room height-wise and in rear facing leg room, the ease of installation (with LATCH, I can do it in about 2 minutes), and finally, that cute Allison cover!

DahliaRW

I have a MR rfing in my '09 Sienna (Captain's chair) and LOVE it. Dd just puts her head to the side to sleep. She seems fine and doesn't complain. You do have to rethread the harness, but rfing you can do it without uninstalling. And it's easy to loosen and tighten the harness too!

Chila88

Yes, I have the MA70 in Allison as well. You know, I still have the MR and could install it and take a pic of both and measure so you can see the comparison. I am amazed at how much room there is behind the MA70, even with it reclined fully for RF. I haven't measured, but am sure there's at least 4 inches behind the passenger side. Thankfully neither DH or I need to push the seat all the way back (I am 5'7", and he's 5'10") so we can install it behind either seat comfortably.

As for the harness adjuster, yes, it is sooooo smooth. I love it!

What I like better, and this is just because of my situation with different size kids in it, is the easily adjustable harness (no rethreading!), the amount of room behind the seats, kids are comfy and since Nour, who rides in it most of the time, is such a peanut, she has plenty of room height-wise and in rear facing leg room, the ease of installation (with LATCH, I can do it in about 2 minutes), and finally, that cute Allison cover!

Would you mind? I have yet to find them both on the shelf in the same store at the same time....so can't ever see them side by side. That would be helpful! I think down the road this seat could be tossed back and forth between my 2 dd's...so the no-rethread harness is really appealing to me as well. But that detail also makes the 2 seperate latch straps on the MR appealing too...argh! Do you happen to know if the new Britax latch clips have to be flipped when switching between rf and ff, or did they change that?

Chila88

I have a MR rfing in my '09 Sienna (Captain's chair) and LOVE it. Dd just puts her head to the side to sleep. She seems fine and doesn't complain. You do have to rethread the harness, but rfing you can do it without uninstalling. And it's easy to loosen and tighten the harness too!

Ahhhh you guys are killing me!!!! They both really seem like good seats....how am I supposed to choose!!!!! :confused:

jujumum

Hi there! :happy-wavehello:

I had an old BV & MA and actually replaced them with the MR. The BV is a little easier to use rf without the Huggs (they are only required for ff), but I found my son very cramped in it regardless. There isn't a lot of leg room, and the design seems to curl the kid's head forward, KWIM, which I think results in the BV headslump.

The MR has a very simple design and is really easy to use (similar to the old MA). I love the high sides (no head slump here) and narrow interior (similar to the interior of a BV). I thought that the fabric wouldn't hold up as well as the plush Britax seats, but mine held up beautifully. I've used the Flair & Deco (plush & suedecloth in the center) and they look great after months of use and a few washes. My kids love the cupholders, too.

I didn't like the buckle at first (seemed hollow), but am fine with it now. I haven't had any issues with the straps, although the Britax ones are nicer. There isn't any comfort foam (the grey 1/2" thick foam) in the MR - there is only the polyfill padding in the cover (thin foam on the sides), so I was worried that my kids would notice a difference. But, they've had no issues or complaints at all.

My dh has a bit of a hard time getting the straps out of around my son when placing him in the MR, and preferred the MA with the velcro for the straps & the lower sides. He didn't like the BV rf either, though, because of the wings in the way.

I have several pics in my album if you'd like to check them out.:)

msg221

Would you mind? I have yet to find them both on the shelf in the same store at the same time....so can't ever see them side by side. That would be helpful! I think down the road this seat could be tossed back and forth between my 2 dd's...so the no-rethread harness is really appealing to me as well. But that detail also makes the 2 seperate latch straps on the MR appealing too...argh! Do you happen to know if the new Britax latch clips have to be flipped when switching between rf and ff, or did they change that?

There are two separate LATCH connectors on the MA70 and I actually prefer them because they have an adjustment strap on each side, not just one.

I haven't had to use the seat FF, but if I remember correctly, I think one of the things Britax was going to change was not having to switch the connectors, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone else knows for sure. I just looked at the installation manual and could not find anything about having to switch the connectors.

I will try to take pictures when I get home from work.

Blondie87

Just to add another pic.. I took these of a kiddo I babysit who is 20 months and 26 lbs. You can see he was very comfy sleeping in it.. :love:

sleep2.jpg
sleep1.jpg

gsdguenter

DD1 now rides in a MR in my car (Elantra) cause it was so easy to install, she still fits, and she loves it.

So, overall, we love it even though I wanted to hate it when they first came out for some reason :confused:

Maybe because it seems flimsier than the MA and RN which is what I was used to, but I have learned that flimsy seeming doesn't necessarily mean good or bad, just different.

So, a long-winded way to say we :love: our MR

simplychels

I own a MR. It's my least fav of the 4 we currently have in use right now for DD.

My cons:
Flimsy at the top
Not as well padded
Hard to get DD's shoulders into the harness straps, for some odd reason
It's the only seat that has given me difficulty in a vehicle. The rest have been a breeze in any vehicle I've had them in.
The straps are a bit twisty. We never have major issues with that, but it's the only seat I own that gives me any grief in that regard.

My likes:
Deep sides
easy latch and seat belt installation (for the most part, minus a certain vehicle that I still curse at thinking about that failed install)
Cup holders. Honestly how silly right? But we do love the cup holders lol.
Light weight so its easily portable.

At the end of the day I really only use it when I have to. I wouldn't ever use it as a main seat. Mainly because it has no anti-rebound and I am a huge fan of that. But also because I just love my other seats, and I only Like this one. It is on my list of recommended seats though :)

Chila88

I'm glad that some of you mentioned it feeling flimsy cuz I just got home from Walmart and my overall impression was that it felt kind of cheap. Although it is cheaper....so, maybe that's ok? :confused: Jujumum I'm so glad you mentioned the buckle....cuz I agree the light buckle really threw me off. The Britax ones feel so solid and substantial. Even the metal tongues of the buckle are tiny and insignificant compared to Britax ones. I have a couple of TF's and I never noticed the 'flimsy' feeling with them like I did with the MR.

It will be my everyday use seat while DD is RF so I need to decide if I'm okay with the flimsier feel or not. I believe you guys when you say that it really is okay for it to feel this way...it's just so different from what I am used to. I need to wrap my brain around it cuz I love the big open feel of it (and the nice little price!!!) Oh decisions decisions.....

msg221

As requested, here are pics of the MA70 and the MR showing the amount of room behind the seat. In this case, behind the passenger seat of an '03 Toyota Highlander. I forgot to take a tape measure with me. I needed a shady spot to uninstall the MA70 and install the MR, so I took my car to the car wash, got my car washed then parked under the shade canopies so I could vacuum the interior and switch the seats! Instead of a tape measure, I used the cord on my iPod headphones, marked the distance between the MR, then measured the iPod cord when I got back to work! I measured 5 1/8". I thought it had less room than the MA70, but I would have to say that the two seats have pretty close to the same amount of room between them and the vehicle seat. Definitely more room than there is between my TFP and the driver's seat, which is pushed back the same distance as the passenger seat.

First up, the MA70:

P1020598.jpg

P1020599.jpg

P1020600.jpg

and the MR:

P1020603.jpg

You can definitely see how little room is left between the TFP and the driver's seat in comparison to how much room there is with the MA70 and the MR.

P1020602.jpg

P1020601.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC