Great article in our Sunday paper re: restraining kids on airplanes

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Fantastic article. Sadly, most people will agree with the nay-sayers, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.

aeormsby

Good article. Also interesting that Southwest still does infant fares, when DD was little almost all the airlines still did 1/2 price fares for infants. I saw a great Q&A about purchasing seats for babies in the latest Parents Magazine also (small write up that's kind of hard to find, but it was there! And written by a Dr).

DahliaRW

Honestly, citing 2 deaths and stating that over 7 million unrestrained children fly a year. That's a very very very very small number of deaths from kids that might have survived had they been in a seat. And even on the flight where the 23 month old died, the 3 other lap children didn't. Statistically flying is soooooooo safe. I'm all in support of it being a parental decision.

aeormsby

Honestly, citing 2 deaths and stating that over 7 million unrestrained children fly a year. That's a very very very very small number of deaths from kids that might have survived had they been in a seat. And even on the flight where the 23 month old died, the 3 other lap children didn't. Statistically flying is soooooooo safe. I'm all in support of it being a parental decision.

I wouldn't be as concerned about lap babies if all those seats weren't being checked as luggage and gate checked. But I also feel better with my DD in a Cares harness than just the lap belt when we're flying (we carry on her GO but can't use it on the plane).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

Flying is extremely safe, I'll give you that. Statistically, given the number of people who fly every year, the death rate is practically zero. So why do any of us bother buckling up? Because you never know.

Remember that's it's not as black-and-white as life and death, either. There are injuries, too. People can and do get hurt on rough landings and in turbulence. Even mild turbulence that doesn't seem too bad when you're not holding another human being on your lap could cause injuries to a kid whose parents weren't holding on when it hit.

I don't understand why an adult's life matters so much that we have to buckle up, yet a baby's life or well-being isn't given the same regard.

Eclipsepearl

Sorry I saw this late (computer problems + visitors!)

Great article but the only issue they should have addressed was the fact that it's allowed only because air travel itself is so safe. Holding them in your lap is not, but rarely does anything go wrong just because overall, very few incidents happen in commercial aviation. This is not true on the road.

I also wish they had addressed the checking car seat issue. It's far more likely that a car seat would get lost or broken by being checked than anything unthinkable happen to the little one in the aircraft. Having parents arrive at an airport with no car seat is more of an issue (and it can take days to get your luggage back to you-experience speaking!)

A lot of us are a little miffed that the government pays for a seat for each member of the family when flying on gov't business (often they were diplomats relocating or similar). I'm thinking, okay, their children are worth strapping in but ours' aren't!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC