Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Jeep Patriot (2010) - 3 across - HELP!

DH currently owns an '09 Jeep Liberty. We currently have 2 Montereys, LATCH'ed outboard, and a RF CCO in the center. It is *tight*. The CCO will not fit FF once it's time to switch. I don't think the RN will, either. He's been looking at larger vehicles for a few months and I thought he had decided on a Ford F150 or Toyota Tundra CrewMax. Wrong.

He's come across a new Jeep Patriot that will basically be an even trade with no out of pocket $$ involved (we own the Liberty outright) and he thinks it's a great deal. 1). I don't like the Patriot in general. 2) The headrests are ridiculous. 3) I don't know how in the world we will do 3 across safely since it's smaller than the Liberty (he says the specs have the backseat measurements more generous than the Liberty - I don't see how).

I think it's a stupid idea. In fact, I *know* it's a stupid idea, but I can't quite convince him.

Also, if anyone has any pros/cons to this vehicle, I'd appreciate.

TIA.

So...is it even possible to do 3 across in the Patriot? Keeping the Montereys outboard because I am not interested in replacing them (I love the fit on my big kids)?
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Jeep Patriot (2010) - 3 across - HELP!

I have no idea how you would fit 3 across in the Patriot. We have an '08 Patriot and I've never been able to fit three across. We tried to fit two TB's outboard and a RF marathon in the middle, no go. When the regent and rf marathon are in the back there is maybe 6" of space in the middle. Not to mention there is NO leg room in the front for us with those seats back there. It's a PITA. We can't wait to get out of this vehicle.
    DD1 ~ 7 years old ~ Cybex Solution X Fi/Turbobooster/Regent
    DD2~2 years 9 months~ Marathon

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I've talked him out of it.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

Good call talking him out of it!!!

Rachel, mom to an army of Ts

It worked. He ended up with a Ford F150 SuperCab. And the best part is I replaced the CCO with a MA 70 in Cowmoo (love the CCO, it just wasn't going to last long with my gigantor kid)!
    CPST & Mom to: