Question 2010 Honda Odyssey Plus One Seat

markandlisa

Hello,

My wife and I have just bought a Britax Boulevard 70 CS seat and would like to install it in the second row on top of the plus one seat. I assume I would use a LATCH connector from both the rigth and left side captain chairs. Is this something that can be done? If so, where's a good place for the Tether?

Thank you very much.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi and welcome. :) Honda only allows lower LATCH anchor installations in seating positions with a dedicated set of lower LATCH anchors and doesn't allow you to "borrow" a lower LATCH anchor from each captain's chair to do a center LATCH installation on the Plus One seat. The Plus One seat also lacks a top tether anchor for forward facing installations, but every other rear seating position in the '10 Odyssey is equipped with a top tether anchor to my knowledge. You'll need to install with the vehicle seatbelt in the Plus One seat, or install on a captain's chair if you wish to use LATCH in the van's second row. If you prefer a LATCH installation in the second row center, I believe the '10 Ody has the option of moving the second row passenger side captain's chair over to the second row center. A lower LATCH anchor installation isn't technically safer than a seatbelt installation or vice versa, for what it's worth - what matters most is achieving a proper installation with less than 1" of movement at the carseat's belt path using an allowed installation method. :)

If you're installing the Blvd. rear facing (the optimal, safest way to travel for children until they reach the maximum rear facing capacity of the convertible carseat, and we can provide more info. on the benefits of doing so if you like :)) and looking for guidance on where to tether the Blvd. rear facing using its included rear facing D-ring tether connector strap to create a rear facing tether anchor point in the Odyssey, there's a helpful article with Odyssey specific suggestions at: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9902

There are a couple more points to be aware of with installations in the '10 Ody that you might already know about, but I'm going to mention just in case and because we have lurkers/google searchers who might benefit from viewing this thread. :) In models equipped with advanced airbags, such as your '10 Ody, Honda doesn't allowing a rear facing carseat to touch the front passenger seatback due to potential interference with the sensors for the advanced front airbags. Also, all Honda vehicles have a 40 lb. child weight limit for lower LATCH anchor installations.

markandlisa

Thank you so much for your prompt and informative reply! I am curious why Honda does not let you "borrow" lower LATCH anchor. In any event, I've read in other posts that putting a seat as large as a Boulevard in the Plus One will potentially cause difficulty in moving the second row captain chairs forward to allow passengers into the third row. We currently have the Plus One removed and have slid the passenger captain chair over as far as possible with a Graco Infant seat there. It still does not go as far to the middle as the Plus one is, so, I worry she is not as safe as she can be. Plus, we thought having her in the plus one seat would allow an adult to sit on each side of her in the second row (assuming we don't lose th easyaccess to the third row!)

Such decisions. Any recommendations/thoughts?

Thank you so much again! :)

Pixels

Since you already have the Boulevard, try it on the plus one seat and see if it suits your needs. See if it allows access to the third row, and if adults could comfortably sit on either side of it.

As for why Honda doesn't allow borrowing, we don't know if Honda hasn't tested it that way, or if they did test it and it failed somehow.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi again, and you're very welcome. :) Honda and other vehicle manufacturers that don't allow borrowing lower anchors from each side to install in a center seating position haven't provided us with specific explanations as to why it's not allowed. Presumably "borrowing" was either untested by the vehicle manufacturer and an unknown in terms of how it could perform in a crash situation, or it was tested and found to adversely affect crash performance in some way such that the car manufacturer disallows it. Either way, I'd advise against borrowing and go with a seatbelt installation in the Plus One seat if you opt to install on it.

I wouldn't fret much about the distance of the captain's chair from the side of the van compared to the positioning of the Plus One seat, particularly for a rear facing kiddo who has the added benefit of the physics of rear facing for crash protection, and in a van such as yours with pretty stellar crash test ratings (and I'm someone who is particularly sensitive to concerns about side impact crashes as my family and I have been in several side impact collisions :eek:).

I don't have specific install or arrangement suggestions for the Ody to preserve your second row's three across options and/or third row access, though. I drive an '05 Sienna and haven't installed seats in Odysseys newer than '03 or '04 models sans the newer Plus One feature to provide much in the way of specific hands on advice for your Ody version. :eek: We do have oodles of newer Ody owners who ideally would chime in here for more specific seating arrangement guidance on that for you, and you might find some pointers if you do a search for the Odyssey using the search thread feature in the forum's Successful 3 Across Thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226. :)

lovinwaves

How old is your child? Are they rear-facing or forward-facing?

Is this your only child in the van? I wouldn't worry about her in that captain's chair slid over. She is pretty much in the middle of the van. Plus, your van is extremely safe and got very high safety ratings. If you put anything in the plus one seat, you will lose the ability to slide that 2nd row captain's chair forward. You will find installation with the LATCH in that Captain's chair will be much easier than with seatbelt in the plus one seat :)

markandlisa

Our daughter is 11 months old. So, she will be rear facing at first. (I'd like to put her front facing as soon as possible since it's easier to see how she's doing, but, everything I'm reading says it's so much safer to have her rear facing). She will also be the only child in the van. Since it appears I'll lose functionality of the 2nd row captain chairs sliding forward if I put her in the Plus one, it looks like I'll keep her in the 2nd row passenger captain chair slid to the middle of the car.

This is such a great site for information! You people are wonderful!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC