15min to teach parents about car seat safety. HELP!

mykidsmylife

So I got the word, I have 15min to get info out to expecting parents at a pregnancy workshop.

I obviously cannot cover everything and I think even the basics will take too long.

So I was thinking of just taking the USAA books, with my business cards attached, and taking an appointment book. They can make an appt with me. I also was going to make sure they knew to have a car seat or convertible that fits baby well, know not to buy one used (unless they know the history)...

What do you think?

Most of these parents I will see again once baby is born as I plan on setting up a 2nd appt to make sure they are using the seats properly with baby, answer any questions they may have etc...

Also I will be doing a car seat basics class and teaching a section in the newborn class.

ADS

MomToEliEm

I think you have the right idea about not overloading the parents right now. Give them info about how to select the right seat for their newborn and some quick basics on how to strap in a newborn for a good fit. Also, it might be good to talk about some of the issues associated with installing an infant seat or rearfacing seat. It is surprising how many people don't realize that most seatbelts lock in some way so going over that might be helpful (at least they do in the US, not sure about other countries though).

Give them more detailed info as handouts so that they can look at it later. With your contact info, notice of future classes, and check events, hopefully they will get back with you if they need more help or info.

mrswh

I'm not a tech but I'd think that this would be a great time to mention ERF. They will be hearing that the law is 1 yr & 20 lbs., but if you start them off now knowing that staying RF to the limits of the seat is the safest practice, that's what they will plan on doing and it will just seem natural. I think it's hard to convince people to change once they have it in their head that they'll be turning baby FF at 1 yr. - so why not get it in their head now that they'll be staying RF for much longer? Then it won't sound like something weird to stay RF - it will just be "what you do." Maybe they will even tell some friends. :)

monstah

Your plan sounds good and what they said. :D

But maybe I'm mean because I'd start off by scaring them. Maybe saying something about collisions being the #1 cause of death for children and up to age 34 but I bet most of you believe it wont happen to you or something similar. :whistle:
Not sure what the statistics are where you are.

mykidsmylife

Thanks for the help. :)
I need to add a flier on how to use a locking clip. Most of the German cars will require them. I never even thought of that.
Also a flier on rear-facing. Now to locate them and email them to someone to have them printed off.

Thanks...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC