Another field trip WWYD?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My dd's preschool is going to a pumpkin patch tomorrow. They have between the 2 teachers (this is an in-home preschool with a mother/daughter teacher team) a 15 passenger van and a VW Jetta. There are 15 kids in the class (or less). I know there are no headrests in the van. I've tried in the past to get them to let me come install ALL the seats for them which they declined. I'm going to try again tomorrow though. They will let me install my own child's seat.
As for my own dd, she's 3 1/2, 30 pounds, and in my car, RF in an Avenue. Now I KNOW they have never taken a RF preschooler before. I do not know if there are any tethers in the van.
Should I RF her so I know she's as safe as possible? Or would you let her ride FF for the field trip? Even with the possibility of no tether?
I cannot go with them as I have to pick up my Kindergartner before they get back.
Available seats for my dd to use would be: Avenue, EFTA, Nautilus. The problem I see with the EFTA or Nautilus is the need to get 3 across in order to fit all the kids in the van.
All the kids have to bring a seat but many will come with backless boosters. Should I say something to them about how unsafe that is? I have 4 extra HBB seats in my garage they could borrow but that may not be enough.
Any suggestions?

ADS

Pixels

I'm not sure on details of your laws, but it's possible that a child in a backless booster without head support is illegal (proper use clause, and then if the booster requires support from the vehicle to the level of the child's ears).

If your daughter is rear facing, then rear face her.

christineka

We do have a proper use clause, but I bet many 3 year olds in backless boosters aren't too tall for bench seats. (Or maybe I just have short kids...)

I'd be tempted to put your dd rfing because I wouldn't be very trusting that the teachers could properly do up a harness. On the other hand, I'd be tempted to forward face so as not to overwhelm the teachers. And in the end, I'd be tempted to hang it all and keep my kid home that day. Sorry for not being very helpful.

babyherder

Bring the Avenue and if there's no tethers, rf her and if there are tethers ff her. Or just rf her and if anyone questions say she's safer and she can see the kid sitting next to her so its way more fun!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC