anyone had USAA replace seats after a crash?

Louisa

CPST Instructor
How did it work, did they give you replacement value?
someone told me that they have a perseat max of 150, that is not going to cover my seats at all:thumbsdown:

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a friend who did, they gave her original retail value of the seats she had. All of which were more than $150.

NVMBR02

The replaced both of our Radians with no problems. I just had to take a picture of the seat to prove that I had it and send them a link to the seat at a store because I didn't have the receipt. They gave us an electronic deposit into our account (it was there within 48 hours, maybe sooner). They gave us the full replacement value, plus tax. :thumbsup: (ended up being around $560 for 2 seats)

brightredmtn

They have replaced a crashed seat for me and one that was in my car when it was stolen. I can say that they reimbursed me for WAY more than $150 each time. More than double for the crashed seat.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
did you you have to buy them first, or did they send you money to buy them with?
and did you have to buy the exact same things?

brightredmtn

did you you have to buy them first, or did they send you money to buy them with?
and did you have to buy the exact same things?

I did not have to buy them first and also did not have to buy the same thing. They replaced what was lost, what I chose to do with that money was my business.

NVMBR02

The sent the money to us first and we could buy whatever we wanted. :thumbsup: We do almost all of our banking with USAA too so they just did an electronic transfer/deposit to one of our checking accts. through them.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, my friend was given the money up-front too, to do what she wanted as far as buying new seats. :)

pepsicola

My experience with USAA was not quite as nice.
A few months ago, someone pulled out in front of me trying to turn left and my car got totaled. His had to be towed away. He was at fault and had USAA. They were really nasty to me every step of the way (and I was the victim!). My daughter was in the car with me in her brand new Ra50 (rearfacing) but I never asked for a replacement b/c it didn't meet guidelines. She still uses that seat now.

NVMBR02

My experience with USAA was not quite as nice.
A few months ago, someone pulled out in front of me trying to turn left and my car got totaled. His had to be towed away. He was at fault and had USAA. They were really nasty to me every step of the way (and I was the victim!). My daughter was in the car with me in her brand new Ra50 (rearfacing) but I never asked for a replacement b/c it didn't meet guidelines. She still uses that seat now.

If the crash was big enough that your car was totaled it is very likely your seat should be replaced. I would not consider that a "minor crash". :twocents:

Louisa

CPST Instructor
oh my! yes if your car was totaled i would think the seat needs to be replaced.
I spoke to the actual ajuster this am, she was very nice, asked for the info on all my seats. so we'll see

pepsicola

Britax refers to the NHTSA guidelines, which are--

■Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:

◦The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

◦The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

◦There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

◦The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

◦There is no visible damage to the safety seat

It met all requirements. My car was driveable, damage was front end only, everyone was ok, airbags did not go off, and I checked her seat out thoroughly.

Plus she was drinking a cup of milk at the time and immeditely after, I turned around to see if she was ok and she was still drinking it, completely unfazed. (I'm sure rearfacing was to thank!)

If it wasn't such an old car I'm sure USAA would have repaired it. It was just cheaper for them to cut me a check for it.

I'm 100% positive her car seat was not damaged. I am obessed with cps and would never ever knowingly put my child in danger!

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, totaling a car technically isn't a requirement or part of the criteria for crashed carseat replacement as noted above for the carseat manufacturers like Britax that follow the NHTSA criteria for a minor crash instead of specifying replacement after any crash. A car can be deemed totaled even after a minor crash if the damage repair cost is beyond a certain percentage of the car's remaining/depreciated value. Totaling is more likely to happen if it's an older car whose value has greatly depreciated and/or if it's a car with very spendy replacement parts, and replacement parts and labor for repairs can add up quickly cost-wise. It was almost $5K just for the parts and labor to replace the radiator assembly on our then 1.5 year old crashed Saturn Vue 6 years ago, yikes, with a total overall repair estimate of $10K to fix everything damaged in our crash, not enough for the insurance company to total the Vue, but an eye opener in terms of how much just a radiator replacement and repair cost. :eek: P.S. We had AAA, not USAA, and had to bring up the subject of crashed seat replacement with AAA (no-fault so we had to use our insurance), and were told by the AAA claims rep. to buy the replacement carseat and submit the receipt for it to the body shop handling the car repairs. We received a check in the mail from AAA to reimburse the carseat purchase shortly thereafter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC