Figured I'd talk this out here instead of in my head.

menfusse

So I've been telling myself that I was going to get a FN85 in Moo. October 15th seems to be the latest release date. It's a lot of money. :eek:

Emily is almost 5. She is small. Regardless of size she must have a harnessed seat for a very long time. She sleeps a lot. Almost always in the car if we drive for more than a half hour, or at certain times of the day not matter how long we are in the car. Her tone is low, and she gets floppy. She love the GN except for the floppiness and it makes her feel like a big girl even though she hears how tiny she is for what seems like a thousand times a day.

But, it's a lot of money.

I want moo.

Target as the RA50 in moo for half the price. Would it be kind of dumb to buy a convertible for a 5 year old, even if the kid would fit for a very long time? She's only 37 inches tall. Teetering between 30 and 33lbs for now with getting sick then getting better, then getting sick then getting better. Thanks so much for that pre-k:rolleyes:.

Then there's the whole "booster" thing. E thinks she's riding in a booster with the GN and I've shown her the FN85 and she says that's a booster too. I think she'd think the RA was a "baby seat", but haven't showed it to her yet to see.

We do need another seat. GN is going to MIL's car to replace the Avenue that my BIL borrowed and I don't trust that they treated it properly. Besides, their kid is over 40lbs and they use it every.single.time as a booster, or they use the harness on occasion with the straps behind her. So taking it out would actually probably save the kid.

There will also not be another kid to pass it along to.

On that token, at E's size the FN85 is a lot of seat, lol. I mean at her age and size, she'll never get anywhere near a high enough weight to need it. I would think by the 50lbs of the RA, and given her age, she could go to a booster and by then who knows what booster will be out.

She'd probably sleep better in the RA, even though I know a lot of people have said their kids don't have any flop issues with the FN85.

But then, there is a very real possibility that her health issues are related to something unifying and progressive and she may very well need a harnessed seat well past what her maturity would dictate simply for support on long drives. Some of her dr's are 5 hours away.

It's a lot of money.

I don't know what to dooooo!!!!!!

ADS

glockchick

I'd get the Frontier. It should last seat you need. It doesn't expire for 9 years and fits most kids well as a booster. She could use it until she outgrows it and fits a regular seat belt.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
OMG...ok, well, if I can get it for that price, I'm good with that.

I didn't know it had a 9 year expiry? That helps too.

It's not showing on their site at $223, still a good deal :thumbsup:

eta: it's free shipping too

Holly

I'd get the Frontier. I think it would seem cooler and more like a grown up seat than the RA would. I also like that it has cup holders. She could use it as a booster when she's ready for that too.
Even if she doesn't need the full weight limit of the FN it, is it possible her torso would grow too tall for the RA before you want her to be in a booster?

abigaylebelle

I've been debating the same thing since ds's cowmoo roundabout was ruined. I promised him another cowmoo so now we're trying to figure out which one. On the one hand I can do another convertible and follow with a booster that might fit a more petite child well (he is similar in size to your E but age 3.5). Or I can go with the frontier and hope that he likes it as well as the convertible and that it will make a good booster for him.
I think in your situation if you want to be able to harness for more than a couple of years I would get the frontier. If you think she will be booster ready in 2ish years then I might go with the ra50 and follow with a dedicated booster. Good luck deciding!

menfusse

I think in your situation if you want to be able to harness for more than a couple of years I would get the frontier. If you think she will be booster ready in 2ish years then I might go with the ra50 and follow with a dedicated booster. Good luck deciding!

I guess that's the part I just don't know. She'll be 7 in two years and would be mature enough to booster. I can tell now that she'll be a better booster rider than A ever was. BUT, with her health...I just don't know. Will she be able to maintain a good position while sleeping in a booster in two years? I guess with the frontier, it will give me the option of either. Can it be latched and used in booster mode?

I have the money now. I've been saving for MONTHS. I've scraped and sold, then we had to dip into it, and I've scraped and sold some more. Things are pretty tight and I'm feeling some pangs of guilt, even though it's money I had dedicated to the seat and saved for and it's not actually coming out of our regular budget. But, like somebody said it will be the last seat she'll need.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yep, it can be LATCHed in booster mode. And though my skinny kids (the older ones--my youngest trends way bigger, lol) never got close to the weight limits, the height limits were awesome (harnessed in the older, shorter model till 8, booster till 12). We absolutely adore our Frontier :)

melniemi

I'd get the Frontier. In fact, I probably will. S just turned 6 a couple months ago and is almost at the height limits of the harness of our FR80 so I'll probably get her a Moo FR85 and keep the FR80 for B when she goes ffing. I don't want S in a booster full time yet, she's a wiggler, and I just don't think the impulse control is there yet.

all together ooky

I'd get the Frontier. (yeah, maybe it's because I want one too)
We have the old Frontier and it's Gwen's favorite seat. Good leg support and she sleeps well in it. You'll get lots of use out of it and hey, it's Moo! So jealous....

christineka

Well, my dd is about the same size and age as yours. She rode around in a regent for awhile and loved it, but it's more seat than she would ever need. I would never have bought one. It happened to come to us.

I have a few kids who are floppy car sleepers. I find the recaro vivo to be very supportive. My kids are short and skinny, so they fit the vivo great. The vivo is a really nice seat.

I love cowmoo too, but we don't need any seats that come in cowmoo.

Dd3 has no love for cows.

She loves pink, pink, and more pink.

She's very happy in a princess radian with lots and lots of room to grow. I let her ride in the parkway when her older sister isn't in the van. (Short trips.) She has always sat properly. I have no concerns with her in a booster, except her weight. I think she'll likely remain in a harness for her regular seat just for buckling ease.

The frontier is a great seat. It's good for 9 years and makes a great booster. I think I'd have the same dilemma if I needed a new seat for dd.

vonfirmath

I would NOT get a RA50 at 5 years of life -- no cupholder. Now that my son is FF in the Marathon, we are having all sorts of problems with no cupholder!

christineka

I would NOT get a RA50 at 5 years of life -- no cupholder. Now that my son is FF in the Marathon, we are having all sorts of problems with no cupholder!

If you have a vehicle cupholder, it is not a big deal. None of my kids' seats have cupholders. (except the parkway and that cupholder is too flimsy to actually use.)

The kids on the sides have cup holders and cubbyholes built into the van. They don't complain. My ds1 originally loved the nautilus and its cupholders, but he's fine sitting next to two cupholders and a cubby.

menfusse

Yeah, a cupholder wouldn't be an issue. Our Jeep has a flipdown armrest in the center and the cupholders come out of that. They are at a good level for a car seat, so that's not a deciding factor for me.

Mainly, I was looking at the money. Even thought I've saved for it, now that it's time to pull the trigger, I was having second thoughts. But I think after working it all out here, and reading the responses, I'm going with the Frontier as planned.

It will last her until she doesn't need a seat and we have the option to harness her if she needs the support for a very long time.

Thanks guys for listening to me ramble.

vonfirmath

If you have a vehicle cupholder, it is not a big deal. None of my kids' seats have cupholders. (except the parkway and that cupholder is too flimsy to actually use.) .

We have a vehicle cupholder, but it is not at a place that a kid in a car seat in the Captain's row can reach. I guess I could move him back to the third row to reach the cupholder. But I have a feeling then we'd have different problems!

Mommy0608

Sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind but I wanted to chime in anyway. I agree with the masses... I'd get a Frontier 85. Yeah, it's likely more seat than she'll ever need, but that's not really a problem. It's better to be on the safe side if you're unsure how long she'll need to be harnessed. I bought one for DD for similar reasons... as long as she hasn't outgrown her epilepsy, I want her harnessed. I have no idea when (or if) she will outgrow it, so I went with the highest harnessing seat I could get. Maybe she won't need it, but at least you wouldn't have to buy yet another seat in a couple of years if she does. Also, I've read your previous posts where you've said she likes the look of a booster. She might really be upset with a convertible seat... she's definitely old enough to have an opinion, and I'm sure in two years or so, it's likely she'll be really unhappy in a convertible, even if she does still fit. Just my :twocents:.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC