WWYD?

doriansmummy

We are headed to Australia in November and I am not sure what to do about this situation. I already decided I am not bringing the Radian because we will not be renting a car, we are just using public transport while we are there. BUT, we will need to get a cab or shuttle from the airport to the flat we rented. I really do not want to pack or buy a booster just for 1 ride, I possibly could borrow one. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do in a situation like this.

FYI- My DS is 8 years old and around 60lbs and alittle over 4ft tall.

ADS

doriansmummy

If it's a shuttle it probably wouldn't have seatbelts anyway, right? I'd make sure to get a bus and leave it at that.

Wendy

The bus would be hard as we have 6 people and at least 6 piece of luggage so a public transport bus would not work, plus we would have to transfer etc.

As for the shuttle I think it would be basically a large van? Not really sure, but not like a huge bus from my understanding. I am guessing it would have regular seat belts.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Are you flying into Sydney? If so, the airport is pretty far from downtown, so cabs are more likely than shuttles. In fact, I don't recall seeing a shuttle at all. Perhaps I just didn't see them, though.

doriansmummy

The shuttles we rode in didn't have seat belts. So I wouldn't worry about it.
Neither have the ones we have here in the US, but online on the shuttle service sites they look like a van.

Are you flying into Sydney? If so, the airport is pretty far from downtown, so cabs are more likely than shuttles. In fact, I don't recall seeing a shuttle at all. Perhaps I just didn't see them, though.
Yes, into Sydney. The drive is about 30 mins. They do not just sit out at the airport, you have to rent a shuttle service. We could take 2 taxis, but then I am still without a seat for DS.

amyd

I'd probably bring along a cheap backless like a Harmony one or similar. Inexpensive, easy to pack and then you've got it if you need it on the shuttle or in a cab. Plus even if you're not planning to be in a private vehicle, you have that option should a situation arise where you need to. You can just carry it on the plane and stow it in the overhead bin.

doriansmummy

I'd probably bring along a cheap backless like a Harmony one or similar. Inexpensive, easy to pack and then you've got it if you need it on the shuttle or in a cab. Plus even if you're not planning to be in a private vehicle, you have that option should a situation arise where you need to. You can just carry it on the plane and stow it in the overhead bin.
Does that count as a carry on?
We really do not have room to put it in our suitcase.

amyd

Does that count as a carry on?
We really do not have room to put it in our suitcase.

I think Dorian could take it as his personal item. Like he could probably have a backpack and his booster. Or they'll gate check it for you. Bring a canvas bag or similar for it so it doesnt get dirty.

sirrahn

I think Dorian could take it as his personal item. Like he could probably have a backpack and his booster.

:thumbsup:We've flown with the kids, and they were able to carry on their backpack and a backless booster with no problem. One time we did have a flight attendant point out to us that they couldn't use them on the plane, but we told her we knew, and they were just going to put it in the overhead bin. We never had a problem with it.

The Harmony Literider would be nice and lightweight, and positions the seatbelt very well. If you think you'll use it later long-term, the Clek Olli has a handy shoulder strap. It's heavier and of course much more expensive though. HTH!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It doesn't count as a carry on, and I wouldn't put it in the suitcase. Bungee it to the outside (we're going to do this on Thursday).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC