CPS Certification class

Kipani4jc

CPS Technician
What can you tell me about it? How hard is it etc?
Im pretty knowledgeable on car seat safety from reading posts here and doing research on my own. It just so happens theres a class next week here in my town. DH also has the week off that week so Id have childcare taken care of too.

Its definitely something Ive been wanting to do. I guess im just nervous though. Ill be gone 9-5 for 4 days and DH will be in charge. That right there can be terrifying...haha!

(I hope this post is in the right spot. It didnt really seem to fit anywhere else.)

Tiffany

ADS

msg221

I just finished my class about 3 weeks ago. It wasn't hard at all, especially if you already have knowledge from the boards here.

Usually I have a hard time being in all day classes, but I really enjoyed this one and it always held my attention (guess it helps to have good instructors as well).

The written tests weren't overly hard and they were open book and not timed or anything, so that was nice. I didn't even need to refer to the book most of the time. I got 100% on all three tests.

The skills tests had me a little more nervous at first, but once you are actually doing them, it is much easier. Learning all of the different types of seat belts was confusing at first since it felt like information overload. I found that once I was actually able to get in a vehicle and see what they were talking about and examine the seat belts, it made a lot more sense and was easier to understand. The only thing that I found that made the one skills test where we had to identify misuse difficult was the fact that the vehicles we were using were parked in a parking garage so it was sometimes hard to see what you were looking at since it was dark in some spots. If you know this is where yours will be, I would recommend bringing a small flashlight so you can see everything on the seat!

I think you should go for it. I think it was definitely worth the time and expense, especially since it's something I am passionate about.

mykidsmylife

Go for it for sure.
I was really bored in class because I knew everything they were teaching. I only missed one on my test and that was b/c I didn't read the full answer.
The skills test was easy and I was done in 15min and about 30min before anyone else.

Yeah it was hard leaving the kids, but it was totally worth it.

Go for it. You will not regret doing it....

Kipani4jc

CPS Technician
Thanks! Im pretty sure the cars will be out in an open lot. I know where the class is held at, and there are no parking garages anywhere near! Whew!

I hope the instructor is a good one. Im pretty sure Ive got A.D.D....lol. This is something Im very passionate about as well, so that helps.

Was the class 9-5 every day? Did you get out early or late?

I just finished my class about 3 weeks ago. It wasn't hard at all, especially if you already have knowledge from the boards here.

Usually I have a hard time being in all day classes, but I really enjoyed this one and it always held my attention (guess it helps to have good instructors as well).

The written tests weren't overly hard and they were open book and not timed or anything, so that was nice. I didn't even need to refer to the book most of the time. I got 100% on all three tests.

The skills tests had me a little more nervous at first, but once you are actually doing them, it is much easier. Learning all of the different types of seat belts was confusing at first since it felt like information overload. I found that once I was actually able to get in a vehicle and see what they were talking about and examine the seat belts, it made a lot more sense and was easier to understand. The only thing that I found that made the one skills test where we had to identify misuse difficult was the fact that the vehicles we were using were parked in a parking garage so it was sometimes hard to see what you were looking at since it was dark in some spots. If you know this is where yours will be, I would recommend bringing a small flashlight so you can see everything on the seat!

I think you should go for it. I think it was definitely worth the time and expense, especially since it's something I am passionate about.

Kipani4jc

CPS Technician
Thanks! I need to talk to DH when he gets up for work. He said before that he didn't mind me going.

Go for it for sure.
I was really bored in class because I knew everything they were teaching. I only missed one on my test and that was b/c I didn't read the full answer.
The skills test was easy and I was done in 15min and about 30min before anyone else.

Yeah it was hard leaving the kids, but it was totally worth it.

Go for it. You will not regret doing it....

msg221

I actually found a class that was held on Friday and Saturday, two weeks in a row. The first 3 classes were 8-5 and the last class was 8-12 because it was a seat check event. If we did get done earlier, it was only by an hour. It will probably depend on how many are in your class as well. We had about 16 people and on the last skills and written tests, they had us split up so half of us were doing the skills test while the other half took the written test, then we switched.

I am really glad that they did a Fri/Sat class over a 2 week perioid because it would have been really hard for me to take off 4 days of work on my own. I mean, I could have between using my vacation time and taking my required furlough days, but I really didn't want to use that much vacation time or have to use more than 1 furlough day in a single pay period (I couldn't afford to do that!)

Aurezalia

Mine starts tomorrow (As evidenced by my siggy, haha)
Mine runs from 8 - 5 M-W, and then we have our seat check Thurs morning. I'm a little nervous but quite excited, especially as I'm being assured that after hanging out here I pretty much know everything being presented in the class anyway. :thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We got out early almost every day at mine; the people who were struggling stayed behind for extra help. The tests were a breeze for me, since I hang out on car seat boards online. :) The hardest part was keeping my mouth shut and if I had a question above the basic level the class was on, waiting until a break to ask it personally-- since, um, most of the class was struggling with the basic stuff.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Do it. If you have childcare taken care of and can afford the class fee, and they still have spots, I think you'll be really glad to have done it. :)

ETA: My class was only three days, and we got out a bit early almost every day. I didn't find it too difficult, and if you know the basics, you probably won't, either. :)

Kipani4jc

CPS Technician
Im glad it worked out like that for you! It worked out for me since DH took that week as a vacation week. We didn't plan on going anywhere either.

So far there are 10 signed up for the class. Id make 11. That would be awesome if its that small.

I actually found a class that was held on Friday and Saturday, two weeks in a row. The first 3 classes were 8-5 and the last class was 8-12 because it was a seat check event. If we did get done earlier, it was only by an hour. It will probably depend on how many are in your class as well. We had about 16 people and on the last skills and written tests, they had us split up so half of us were doing the skills test while the other half took the written test, then we switched.

I am really glad that they did a Fri/Sat class over a 2 week perioid because it would have been really hard for me to take off 4 days of work on my own. I mean, I could have between using my vacation time and taking my required furlough days, but I really didn't want to use that much vacation time or have to use more than 1 furlough day in a single pay period (I couldn't afford to do that!)

Kipani4jc

CPS Technician
GL! I hope it goes well!

Mine starts tomorrow (As evidenced by my siggy, haha)
Mine runs from 8 - 5 M-W, and then we have our seat check Thurs morning. I'm a little nervous but quite excited, especially as I'm being assured that after hanging out here I pretty much know everything being presented in the class anyway. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC