2010/2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen

lanwenyi

What's the consensus on the Jetta SportWagen?

We're looking to replace our 2001 Honda CR-V (200,000 mi, 2 airbags, no lower anchors) w/ a new wagon/4dr hatchback. The leading contender right now is the Sportwagen.

What do people think of it?

How safe is it?

We'll need to put 2 rfing Radians in it (or 1 radian and an old style blvd). Will it work? (B4 we drive 40 min to the closest dealership to try the seats in it, it'd be nice to know if it's even possible :D )

TIA :thumbsup:

ADS

dmpmercury

I have a 2004 Jetta Wagon. They redesigned it but I don't think they would make them less roomy. I can't do two rear facing radians but I can do a radian in the center rear facing and a old style boulevard on the passenger side. I actually have 3 rear facing seats right now but one had to be a baseless infant seat which is a little annoying.

lanwenyi

Thanks for the reply. What was the issue with 2 radians?

I've put one rfing behind the passenger in a passat sedan (circa 2000) and I know the jetta is smaller, but I'm hoping. It was tight for the front passenger, but doable, and that was w/o fighting the install to get it more upright.

Does it install decently upright or will it be very reclined? (DD is 3)

How does the Radian install ffing?

lanwenyi

On a semi-related note - what about rear side airbags?

All cars I'm looking at come w/ 6 airbags (driver, passenger, 2 front side, 2 side curtain), but some come with, or have the option of 8. Are the rear side impact airbags helpful or more harm than good for small passengers still in carseats? still rfing? Does this affect the install of carseats in the back?

dmpmercury

Does it install decently upright or will it be very reclined? (DD is 3)

The radian installs very upright in the Jetta with no problem using the tricks but it would really push the seat foward if not in the center. It takes up a lot of room when behind a seat in my wagon. I never tried it foward facing yet.

dmpmercury

I don't know if this helps at all to see fit but here is recent pictures of the seats in my wagon

238.jpg

066-1.jpg

lanwenyi

Thanks for the pic, that does help. Your LOs are very CUTE! Congrats on the new baby.

Is the passenger seat all the way back, or does the rfing blvd force it to be farther fwd?

Anyone know more abt those rear seat mounted side impact airbags?

dmpmercury

Is the passenger seat all the way back, or does the rfing blvd force it to be farther fwd?

The seat is far back in the same position for my 5'11' dh but it pushes the headrest foward a little bit so it didn't work behind the driver seat.

Mach Knockers

This is an old thread for the OP, but someone searching the forum might find this useful.

I'm considering one myself, a 2011. I put a RF Radian behind the passenger seat. My 6'2" DH is comfortable in the passenger seat with that set-up.

Mach Knockers

Does anyone have input on the safety factor??? I'm just reading this page: http://www.informedforlife.org/demos/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/MasterSCORERORDERJUNE9.pdf

The Jetta Sportwagen is on Page six, third car down the list. It gets a "medium risk" rating, but I'm having trouble deciphering what that means for my family's safety. We do 30,000 highway miles a year...I want us well protected. We're not driving around subdivisions, we're on the expressway. :(

In contrast to the above link, I read this: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Volkswagen_Jetta-SportWagen/Safety/
And safercar.gov: http://tinyurl.com/3pxtx5x (no ratings for 2011, but the 2010 is the same when discussing the wagon only.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC