2011 Honda Odyssey

tl01

Would you buy this van before seeing the IIHS crash test data? I know the chassis is similar to the 2010 and they appear to have improved the structural integrity of this van but I'm wondering if I should wait until the data is available. Who know how long that will be!

ADS

amyd

Yes, I would. I'm extremely impatient for this vehicle to arrive in Canada so I can got test drive one (and hopefully convince DH to buy one).

Naww, we're looking into it already. I'm comfortable enough with Honda's reputation for safety.

By the way, have you seen it? Trying to find a dealer who has one in stock so we can see it. We're particularly interested in how the rear dvd entertainment system is like.

tl01

Naww, we're looking into it already. I'm comfortable enough with Honda's reputation for safety.

By the way, have you seen it? Trying to find a dealer who has one in stock so we can see it. We're particularly interested in how the rear dvd entertainment system is like.

I've seen and driven a few. Our dealer has a demo unit. Are you interested in the regular RES or the split screen. The split screen is only available on the touring elite. I haven't seen an elite yet.

Toyota is in serious trouble. The new Sienna is markedly inferior to the new Odyssey.

I haven't seen an Elite either, but the regular screen is big enough. The dual screen on the Sienna is too small so I'd rather have the regular screen.

I love how the beige isn't too light. I wanna see the truffle interior (looks dark brown online but dark grey in the brochure), but the beige should work. Has a dark grey carpet regardless which is great for hiding dirt.

The Ody just feels more luxurious. The Sienna feels cheap. Like a Dodge, Chevy, or Kia. Even the Limited Sienna, which reviewers claim is like a Lexus, isn't. I drive a Lexus. It's not even close. Just came back from a trip borrowing my BIL's 2006 Limited. That one isn't Lexus-like and that version feels much better than the new one.

Plus, I love how Honda let's you get the rear DVD without having to get the navi, but still get the backup camera. Toyota's nav unit isn't that good. The new Sienna is supposed to have an updated unit like my Lexus, but even my Lexus unit isn't as good as our $150 Garmin that's in the truck. The old Sienna's nav is horrid.

Plus, the Ody drives a lot better. The "cool" features on the new Sienna (lounge chair, double moonroof) is useless while the Ody has cool stuff (trash ring, cool box). Between all the big stuff and small stuff, unless the Sienna sells for a lot less, there's no reason to pick it over the Ody. Even the seats are more comfortable and roomy feeling.

Oh, and more relevant for this board, but when I opened the side door, I was shocked at how assessable the lower LATCH hooks were. I don't remember being so pleasantly surprised with the Toyota, altho I don't remember being super annoyed either.

kaleigh71

I was at one of our local dealerships yesterday for an oil change and they had one out in front of the building. If I hadn't had a screaming thrashing 2 year old I would have asked someone to open it up. Just speaking for the outside...it LOOKS smaller but I understand it isn't. It doesn't scream "minivan" nearly as much as the new Sienna, it is sleek and I am in love! I think maybe the goal is to appeal more to those who are choosing crossovers, and this could be the van that does just that. Honda did this one right, IMO.:thumbsup:

tl01

Codex, while I am sold on the ody... I agree with your comments that the sienna seems inferior, I am bummed you can't get Bluetooth without the nav. I want the rear entertainment and Bluetooth so I have to get the touring.

The truffle interior is grey with a hint of brown in the carpet...at least from the lighting where I saw it. The door sills are a little lighter which is a bummer for scuff marks but they should show too much.

Actually, bluetooth is available on the EX-L. Don't need navi. Just get the EX-L with rear entertainment and it'll come with bluetooth AND backup camera. Totally awesome. Plus, the cool box. The radio comes with 2GB storage as well. Slap on a Garmin (the one we have is currently $150 at Costco and comes with lifetime traffic) and you're good to go.

I'm trying to figure out if the non-navi EX-L screen allows you to put personalized wallpapers. Or if it's just the Navi one that allows it.

Went to both dealers today. Pretty much confirmed that the Ody is much better.

Sienna's wood is horrible looking. The materials, particularly on the dash, feel super cheap. The center console is bigger, but the Ody's is decently sized. I do love the two gloveboxes on the Sienna, particularly the two level top one. Otherwise, the leather is weird (3rd row is this sticky vinyl crap that is used on the sides of the 2nd/1st row seats), shoulder room is more cramped in the 2nd row, and the seats just aren't as comfortable as the Ody. Seems to have noticeably more cargo room tho. Impressively big trunk area actually whereas the Ody feels barely adequate for a modern minivan. Oh, and I love how the Ody has buttons to open the two sliding doors and the trunk up on the dashboard. Totally missing in the Sienna. But yeah, the Ody has oddly wide sills on the floor. I can totally see that getting scuffed/dirty quickly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC