Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Talking So *that's* what installing a car seat should be like..

No two hour odyssey? No tools necessary? No crying? Huh. I could get used to this!

For those of you who don't remember, I originally bought a Mico for my daughter, and had no luck installing it myself, and went through three teams of techs at the local St. John's. We should have returned it, but I loved (and still love) my Foray. When we replaced it in May with her convertible, we went with a TrueFit Premier, and I took it to the Car Seat Safety Installation Workshop at the Mississauga St. Johns. They were awesome and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Today (on the day she hits 11 months), I needed to install the upper seatback, which meant uninstalling and reinstalling at a more upright angle. I'd been really hoping that we could hold off until I go back to work in 3 weeks and we can buy the new car, but I weighed her at 21.6 pounds this morning and I'd rather go .4 pounds too early than find out sometime next week that she went over when I wasn't looking.

It went brilliantly. In less than 15 minutes, we got a solid (enough to rock the car, though my sense is it's just slightly less rock-solid than I got with the guy at MSJ) install, got the upper seat back on, and got the front seat adjusted to a reasonably workable configuration for my husband.

Happy hel is happy!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Re: So *that's* what installing a car seat should be like..

Glad to hear it!

Awesome

I just got a frontier, its like it was purpose built for my car, 3 seconds and it was in, easy, after 4 years of struggling with car seats I never knew it could be so easy
    Chrissy Mum to : Ds Isaac(6) & dd Annabelle(2)

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Awesome I'll let the team know that you love them at Mississauga SJA
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

6. Thank You from:

hel

I haven't used the premier, but the basic TF is an awesome seat to install too. It's actually enjoyable!
    Selina - Canadian Mom. BC CPST
    James (04/12/02) 84# In a SK Monterey
    Nicholas (09/02/07) 34.5# FF in a Britax FrontierXT and giving me anxiety over the switch forward

Quote Originally Posted by selinajean View Post
    I haven't used the premier, but the basic TF is an awesome seat to install too. It's actually enjoyable!
    Yeah it's alright. The lockoffs take some getting used to (I'm refraining from any puns on "learning curve" here ). I think I got a good "system" with my last install. My fastest installing seat so far is the FF MR65. Stuff seatbelt through nice big belt path. Shove knee into seat and pull belt tight. Clip tether anchor & pull tight. Done.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra