Is this Illegal? or even safe?

mrscoffield

I posted a question about this in the special needs board but have a separate question for carseat techs while I'm waiting for our local car seat tech to contact me next week. As briefly as possible:
I have a 3 month old daugher that was RF in a companion carseat. She was diagnosed with congential hip dysplasia that they have decided to treat with a rhino hip abductor, essentially it has a hard plastic back and two foam rings that go around each leg. It prevents her from bending at the waist and she is required to wear it 24/7. So she cannot fit in the companion, I called my doctor's office to ask if they have any suggestions. She said she has never heard of the problem before and just to put a pillow under her bum and lengthen the straps. So I tried that and it does not look safe. The leg straps go over her knees not her thighs and her neck is like slumped weird because of the pillow. She said no other parents have complained before and I wanted to tell her, yeah because they probably don't realize how unsafe this is.

I'm trying to force my insurance to help pay for a Hippo carseat for adaptive children...

So is a altering a carseat with a pillow illegal or safe? If it helps I'm in California.

I will try to post a picture of her in the carseat with the brace and without. Any other info appreciated. I've tried contacting charities out here to look for a loaner seat but can't find one.

EDIT: I'm in southern california and she's in a marathon now but because she cannot bend at the waist it doesn't work unless I use a pillow or take her out of the brace.

Last edited:
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not sure how to answer this, beyond thinking you may need a convertible seat for the duration of the treatment. It's still 'special needsy' enough that I think you'll get better answers in this section rather than the general section, so I put it here. Hope everything goes well with her treatment and you find a workable solution!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you're near L.A., Children's Hospital Los Angeles has techs and may have resources for special-needs seats to help you. I'd call them first. If you have access to a Radian, that often works, with some rolled receiving blankets as needed for padding/support.

Technically California is a "proper use" state. But in the case of special medical needs... you do what you have to to make what resources you have work. If you can't immediately get a Hippo, or if you can't get one at all, look at SAFE ways to alter a standard car seat to make it work (at least as safe as possible) and go from there. Basically, keep her as safe as you can, within the means you have, at all times.

I also have a few contacts in the San Diego area, including one woman who works at a hospital there, if that's closer to you, I could try to contact her and see if she knows of resources in that area.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There are also a few excellent special needs techs at CHOC in Orange County, and they deal with things like this on a regular basis.

California has a medical exemption for car seats use, so it's probably legal, but there might be a better way to do it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
(A Radian doesn't fit rear-facing in an Accord? What if it was in the middle? It fit in my Corolla behind the passenger for a newborn, with me in front of it... I'm thinking we need more information.)

mrscoffield

We are 3 across in the accord. FF Marathon behind the driver, FF Radian in the middle and RF Marathon behind the passenger.
I haven't tried the radian RF in the middle at this point because my 5 yo in the FF radian can do his own buckle so I don't have to reach over.

She fits in the marathon between the edges, but because she can't bend at the waist she can't use the seat without being laid in the seat with pillows under her as opposed to sitting it in.

I guess I need to just wait to hear from the charity in our area or from the hospital. I just find it crazy that for so common a situation that our hospital, Kaiser, doesn't have a loaner seat program. It's really unfortunate, maybe I can harass someone there about starting one.

Just wondered specifically if anyone knew how safe it is to have a 3 month old in an altered seat like that...I'm interested in the legal part, but more importantly the safety issue of transporting my little on on roads safely.

Christina

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not sure what Kaiser you go to, but I don't think the ones in OC have any technicians on staff, let alone seats to lend out.

It was SafeKids you contacted? They're not likely to have special needs seats, but they can probably get you in touch with a tech who can help.

I know the SafeKids coordinators for Orange County and the Inland Empire. Both of them are also special needs techs at hospitals in their respective areas. If you're in those areas I can try getting you in touch with them/getting more info for you.

mrscoffield

I know the SafeKids coordinators for Orange County and the Inland Empire.

I've actually been told that sometimes Kaiser will pay for/provide anything that is necessary for a member. I met another woman whose child had CPHD and needed a brace Kaiser doesn't have/cover. She was able to get them to provide it eventually.

I am in Inland Empire, specifically Redlands. If you have someone you know of please let me know. My mom offered over and over to have us buy it and she will pay for it and then if Kaiser does ever reimburse us than we would pay them back. My dad didn't seem quite so keen on that idea and I hate asking for stuff.

Thanks for the info.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My mother works at Kaiser. She's been told they don't have a loaner seat program for liability reasons (which is understandable.) They SHOULD have the resources to refer you elsewhere for help, though.

My experience has been that when Kaiser decides not to cover something you're in for a long fight if you want it. We ended up paying for my daugther's dental anesthesia out of pocket, even though Kaiser was required by law to pay for it (due to her age.) We fought them for 8 months and ended up reporting them to the state medical insurance board, who opened a case, before they folded. (They reimbursed us without admitting fault in order to have it dropped rather than have it be adjucated against them, because if they had let it go on, it would have set precedent that they're required to pay for it every time, and they didn't want that precedent on the record. :rolleyes: )

Eclipsepearl

I and two of my kids had hip dysplasias. Mine had soft braces which fit fine in car seats. They were like the top one;

http://www.rhinopod.com/kicker.htm

I just had an idea; would they be willing to give you an alternate soft brace, just for car travel? You would have to adjust both at the same time, each time. You'd also have to change it when you're in and out of the car. It's just an idea so scrap it if it wont work.

Definitely don't do what my mom did. I was in a full body cast (mine was bad). In the Days Before Car seat Laws, she put a playpen in the back of a station wagon and just threw me in there. Don't worry, I wont tell you that I'm alright and alive today!

I can't turn my right leg out all the way but I wold have never known if I hadn't have done yoga and dance. Otherwise, the arthritis and hip replacements predicted have not materialized. I was supposed to have both around age 40 and am past that and have been told I will "die with these hips" since.

My ODD does competitive gymnastics so the hip dysplasia didn't hurt her in the long run!

mrscoffield

You'd also have to change it when you're in and out of the car.

That is sort of what I'm trying to avoid. I pick up kiddos at school and the in and out and in and out all day is a bit of irritation. We currently have a request in at the hospital for them to provide the Hippo seat. The CHP car seat tech told me that a pillow under her is not a safe way to transport a 3 month old. While laws may be allowed to be bent in the case of adaptive care, safety is my #1 concern. So they said we should hear something in 5 -15 business days. Here's hoping...

arthritis and hip replacements predicted have not materialized

That is really great to hear. She's such a sweet baby with an excellent temperment and it is sad to think of her being in pain from this. Thank you again!

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I was wondering if you were able to get Kaiser to cover the spica cast car seat for your child. If not, what did you end up doing? Were you able to find a loaner program in southern California? I am in San Diego. Thank you,

April

(A Radian doesn't fit rear-facing in an Accord? What if it was in the middle? It fit in my Corolla behind the passenger for a newborn, with me in front of it... I'm thinking we need more information.)

I've had RF Radians in my 09 Accord sans-angle adjuster and it has worked just fine, it's especially easy in the center.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
This thread is three-and-a-half (pushing four!) years old. It would probably be best to start a new thread, as I doubt the OP is still reading this thread. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC