MANLY vehicles..

P1ally

Dh is buying a used truck or car in the next month or so. He insists on getting a 2005 or newer Dodge Ram 1500. I'd be ok with that if it weren't for the price or gas mileage. He "needs" a truck so he can haul things or tow something for work (maybe once a year, tops.) Oy. Of course there's the macho factor. I'm trying to convince him to get a much more sensible sedan, or anything else lol..

Are there any other quad cab trucks we should consider? Our budget is about $15k, and we need to be able to put DS in the back FF. Oh yes, safety is key. OR, better yet, are there any MANLY sedans or SUV's we should look at? Dh is 6'3, and needs a ton of room.

Sorry this post was so disorganized :eek:

ADS

cookie123

Sorry I can't help. My man has a Mustang. He also has a Jetta he absolutely adores. He used to be in love with his PT Cruiser, too. He actually had it for 9 years, which was unheard of! Good luck changing his mind.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, my DH "needed" a truck, too. I kept putting my foot down, and he would borrow our neighbor's truck for the two times a year he actually did need to haul something.

Then we wound up actually NEEDING a truck, so we got a Ram. I do have to say that I love it, although it's the ginormous version, so not very practical for day-to-day stuff.

P1ally

Yeah, my DH "needed" a truck, too. I kept putting my foot down, and he would borrow our neighbor's truck for the two times a year he actually did need to haul something.

Then we wound up actually NEEDING a truck, so we got a Ram. I do have to say that I love it, although it's the ginormous version, so not very practical for day-to-day stuff.

Nice.. Yeah it looks like you certainly need one! :) My dh literally drives to work (up a huge mountain, yay awful gas mileage) and home. I told him he could have my car and he could buy me a used Odyssey :whistle: (Which I actually DO need for work as a nanny!)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My hubby has a Toyota Tundra crewmax and it is nice and manly...while still being a really nice family ride when we all have to go somewhere.

The current bodystyle started in 2007. Gas mileage isn't *good* with the 5.7 motor he has but it is a lot better than my Yukon gets.:confused: He averages 17.1 mpg and drives 99% freeway on his commute. It would be a lot better (and cheaper) if you got the smaller V8.

And the best thing is the backseat is HUGE and awesome for seat installs.

npauli

Random comments in no particular order:

- Dodge cabs are different. While GM and Ford have had reg, extended & crew cabs forever, Dodge has evolved over the years. "quad" cab has been around a long time and doesn't give you much room in the back. You won't want the car seat behind your husband, for example. They started offering a Mega cab in 2006 IIRC, which is still the largest cab anybody offers. It's huge, but only available with short beds. Then they started offering a normal crew cab in the last year or two.

- Safety wise, I thought the last F150 revision pulled a bit ahead of the pack. I don't remember details, but it's worth looking into.

- A crew cab pickup can actually be a pretty practical family vehicle. We use mine all the time for family outings because it can haul so much stuff and its nice to be able to really sit 3 across. It's not quite as practical as a minivan for hauling people, but not terribly far off.

- Suggest a diesel. It'll cost more, but last longer, resale higher, and get much better fuel economy. He'll brag about what an awesome wife you are for bringing it up. Any GM or Dodge before 2007 emissions would be worth looking into. There are a number of model/year combinations that can get 20+ mpg. I get about 23.

beeman

Get the biggest cab. The crew cab or mega cab are not much more expensive, and the extra space is much nicer for both child restraint installs and adult passengers. Plus, IMHO, if you can't afford the extra for the big cab, you can't afford the truck ;) . As npauli said, diesels are an excellent option, however diesels need to run for long periods at full operating temperature. Short commutes do not allow ideal performance and can cause premature engine problems. As for emissions systems, none of the big three have figured out how to get them working flawlessly yet and they seem to really hinder fuel economy.

IMHO, if he's going to get an SUV, he is better off to get the pickup truck, as they don't really get much worse economy and are much more practical.

I have yet to meet someone with this era (2005+) of dodge pickup that hates it :whistle: .

P1ally

Get the biggest cab. The crew cab or mega cab are not much more expensive, and the extra space is much nicer for both child restraint installs and adult passengers. Plus, IMHO, if you can't afford the extra for the big cab, you can't afford the truck ;) . As npauli said, diesels are an excellent option, however diesels need to run for long periods at full operating temperature. Short commutes do not allow ideal performance and can cause premature engine problems. As for emissions systems, none of the big three have figured out how to get them working flawlessly yet and they seem to really hinder fuel economy.

IMHO, if he's going to get an SUV, he is better off to get the pickup truck, as they don't really get much worse economy and are much more practical.

I have yet to meet someone with this era (2005+) of dodge pickup that hates it :whistle: .

We have zero need for a mega cab, and idk your statement kind of bothered me. It's not about being able to afford it, it's doing it comfortably. Dh wants his truck payment to be no more than $250 a month. It won't put a strain on us, he just doesn't feel the need to dump a TON of money into a used truck.

We are looking at the crew cab (w/e it's called, the 4 door version made after 2005.) No one else will ever be transported in this truck except me, dh, and ds. No need for massive amounts of space.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We got the MegaCab because we're going to be on long trips with two kids and won't be able to carry stuff in the bed. We figured it would be great to throw a couple backpacks or whatever back there for easy access to coloring books and whatnot.

However, the space is really narrow and hard to access unless you put a seat down. That wouldn't be a problem except that I have two car seats installed in both outboard positions. I could easily move a kid to the middle (the back seat is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE), but then they'd drive me nuts.

So we haven't really used the MegaCab option yet and are starting to feel that it wasn't really necessary. (Ordinarily I'd like the idea of having a barrier between the back seat and the glass, but with headrests in all backseat positions, that problem is taken care of.)

I want to love the Mega option, and probably will (we have only used the truck on one big trip so far, and it was a disorganized venture).

So I guess I'm saying that if you don't feel that you NEED the MegaCab, you probably really don't need the MegaCab. And even if you feel that you do need it you probably don't. :p

Lisa in WV

The Dodge Megacab is wonderful! My husband has one, and we love the space. There are three complete sets of LATCH in the backseat. There are also headrests/lap shoulder belts in all three back positions.

P1ally

The Dodge Megacab is wonderful! My husband has one, and we love the space. There are three complete sets of LATCH in the backseat. There are also headrests/lap shoulder belts in all three back positions.

We don't have a need for the mega cab. It would be great if it was the primary family vehicle, but it won't. Honestly, if I can convince him to just buy a car, and keep the truck he already has, I'd be super happy.

That's cool about the latch :)

cookie123

If he already has a truck why get another? Especially if you NEED it once a year. Seems silly to me! Although I do understand about just wanting a cooler vehicle.

Also, just making conversation.:) (In case I seem in any way otherwise!)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

There's actually some debate about whether or not there are three sets of LATCH. It certainly appears that there are, because if there aren't, I don't know what the heck those bars spaced 11" apart in the center seat are.

However, the manual claims that there is not LATCH in the center. It says not to use anchors in the center. I fully believe that's just an oversight, and that it actually refers to a time when there wasn't LATCH in the center and they didn't want you to borrow outboard anchors.

The people at Safe Ride News, who compile info for the LATCH Manual, are working on getting an answer.

I, personally, would have no qualms using center LATCH, but I'd also like a definitive answer.

beeman

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be offensive, but sometimes I come off a little rough (especially on the topic of trucks ;) ). On the Canadian pricing scheme of new trucks the largest "crew cab" option is about $1500 more than the "quad cab", so not that significant compared to the total cost of the new vehicle. Now that being said I realize that the gap on used vehicles may be larger in your region, and it may be near impossible to find one in good condition without other extra options you don't need or want that is appropriately priced. However if you can find one that is appropriately priced, the extra space will be greatly appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of truck is he replacing?

P1ally

They've changed the names of the 4 door like 8 times. Crew, quad, etc etc. Depends on the year.

He's replacing a 94 ford ranger. This thing is way past it's expiration date lol. :rolleyes:

dogmelissa

Would he consider something like the 4 door Chev Canyon? Its still a truck, for those twice-yearly hauls, would be big enough for DS in the back, but has a smaller engine (better fuel efficiency) and also has a lower price. Or if you could convince him to go for an SUV, theres quite a lot of options in the small to midsize SUVs, though none is as manly as even a small truck, imo.
We're needing a new family vehicle and as a result, I'm driving our large pickup around the city instead. It sucks gas like nothing else and I hate parking it, but the little trucks are great! (The ford ranger is not manly, but the canyon is much better)

Good luck,
Melissa

Canyon is manly looking, but it's pretty regarded as one of the crappiest vehicles on the market.

If you're gonna go small, the Tacoma and Frontier are pretty widely regarded as the best of the compact cars. The Ridgeline actually gets good reviews, but there are conflicting opinions on what size it is, the gas mileage isn't really better than the big ones, and I don't think it's manly enough.

Those two aren't too roomy so I'd either stick with the full sized trucks or go with a SUV.

3acorns4Christy

We have a 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with extended bed, V8 and 4WD. We tow a small bass boat with it a lot. It's very manly and add in a whole back bed door (cannot think of the name) full of fishing stickers adds even more manly-ness.
I have never had a problem fitting a seat RF in there. But DH and I are small so for a larger recline on the seats we've needed to pull our seats up.
The only thing I don't like about this truck is the rear headrests are very firm and are very hard to get a good FF install with some seats. You can do it with most, but I cannot install a MA in there. And the center seat isn't a complete seat so that does make it hard.
Three across isn't too hard if you have the right seats and have a time to install.
Other then those things, we love our truck. It's perfect for us and will be around for a very long time.

luckyclov

DH just, last weekend, bought a 2010 Ford F150 SuperCab. This thing is a beast...femininity is the last thing from my mind when I look at it or sit in it. It's got a lot of options on it, and one was a the hard bedcover thingie (tannou?) with a lock, which makes it a pretty practical family vehicle. The backseat is ginormous. The legroom is immense (though, admittedly, we are not a tall family - DH is 5'10" and I'm 5'2"). Gas mileage isn't awesome, but I don't think it's bad for a huge vehicle (he's averaging 16 MPG city) and it actually gets better MPG than my year old Grand Caravan.

It was between the F150 and Tundra for him (after a brief moment of insanity wanting a Jeep Patriot) and he went with the F150 because Ford gave more $ for his trade-in.

ETA: Definitely take a look at the Nissan Frontiers. DH has owned 3 of them - a 2002, 2004, and 2006 - good gas mileage and no complaints from us. And I *think* they may even still make them in manual transmissions (all of DH's were), which automatically ups the man factor. ;) I miss the Frontier, actually. Very fun to drive.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC