3 kids in a coupe car. Who would you put upfront?

lovinwaves

Let's say you have a 7mth old, a 5 year old (36lbs), and a 6 1/2 year old (36lbs, and sits well in a booster) to put in a small "sports" coupe car.

Your car seat choices are:

Safety 1st Complete Air
Britax RA50
Recaro Probooster
Recaro Prosport (2)

You can't do 3-across in the back. So someone has to be upfront.

ADS

lovinwaves

Does the front seat have an airbag?

Are there tether anchors available in the back?

Front seat has an airbag, not sure how it will "turn off" or if it can be turned off. Maybe by the pressure of the seat since it's a Toyota vehicle.

Tether anchors for sure outboard, not sure about center.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay.

I'd put the 6 year old in the Prosport as far back as possible in the front, but I don't know if I'd put the 7 month old or the 5 year old behind that seat; it would depend on whether the 7 month old fit there with the seat all the way back (CA maybe, as upright as possible?) and which seating position gave teh 5 year old more head clearance (this would depend on driver's height too.) Even with a tether, remember that the 5 year old needs clearance too, and moving the front seat ALL the way back might not give the 5 year old as much clearance.

Oh, and if the RA50 would fit with the necessary configuration for the 7 month old, and the CA was lower-profile for the 6 year old, I'd use that instead of the ProSport to keep him/her further back.

If tethering to the center seatbelt or tether anchor wouldn't put the tether more than 20 degrees off, and didn't interfere with the seat behind the passenger seat, I might do it for the front seat, even though it's not an approved solution, I'm aware.

IF the airbag turned off WITH A SWITCH OR KEY I would put the rear-facer there instead, braced if possible, and the other 2 in back in tethered seats. But if it uses a sensor, no way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC