Opinions on the Subaru Forrester?

groovymom2000

We're starting to look for a new car, and I am probably going to need to get a wagon or something, at least for the next few years. I test-drove a used Saab wagon...that was a lot of fun, but probably more than I want to spend. I really don't want a minivan, and I am looking for something smaller than what I drive now(Honda Passport), and fun to drive. My husband suggested the Subaru Forrester...does anyone have any opinions on that one? We looked at the 2004 XT model, but haven't driven it yet. Edmunds lists its IIHS off-set and bumper crash tests as good, not tested by NHTSA yet. If I get a chance I'm going to run by there and take one out to see how it handles, just wondered if anyone had any input!
Thanks,
Beth

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Forester is nice-

It's probably one of the safer SUVs. For about the same cost, also consider the Legacy/Outback wagon. We are happy with our 2000, which is the same design as the current model. It also does well in all the crash results. Inside, it's just as roomy as Forester if not a hair bigger, as it is built on a larger chassis.

Good luck!

M

mdsvc89

Forrester

We have a 1999 Forrester, and really like it. It gets good safety ratings, and drives well in bad weather.

HOWEVER, the back seat has very little leg room. Depending on how tall you are, and how leggy your kids are, this may or may not be an issue for you. DH and I are both about 5'6". When I sit behind DH in the forrester (to hang out with DD in the back -- she sometimes asks me to) my knees touch the back of his seat.

The outback is much roomier.

-Michelle

groovymom2000

Thanks for your input Darren and Michelle...

I have heard that there wasn't much room in the back seat. I test drove the XT today :D and it was a lot of fun! I put DS's Husky in the back and got a nice fit, although I can see where there wasn't much room. As for an adult riding back there, well....there will be another one in a seat by next year, so there won't be room for an adult anyway! :eek:
Thanks again!
Beth

A

absolutsundance

My parents, and now grandparents of my baby have a 2003 Forester. They LOVE it. However...I was interested in an Outback (I just posted the 2004 4Runner thread) and when at Lake Tahoe recently, we rented one for a week. I was the main driver of the car.
The Outback has a much larger cargo area in back than the Forester. I have a Maclaren Techno stroller, and while it is not a large stroller, it has to be laid sideways in the Forester while in the Outback I could fit it lengthwise along one side of the cargo area. The rear seat also has much more legroom than the Forester.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my parents' Forester, but if you are looking for that extra bit of room, the Outback delivers.
I would also recommend (and this will depend on your altitude as well) taking a look at the 3.0L (6 cylinder) engine. The Forester and base models of the Outback have 2.5L (4 cylinder) engines which seemed to be lacking the horsepower to really climb the hills in Tahoe. They do just fine here in the Central Valley.
The Outback handles very well and my 12 mo. old (I don't know all the "dd" lingo around here :confused: maybe someone can help) loved being about to look out the rear window without getting too much sun on her.
Hope this helps, sorry to ramble on!
-Laura

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC