Expiry Dates

sparkyd

Ok, so I'm sure this had been discussed in the past, but not that I've seen.

Something came up about an expiry date in another thread and it lead to me taking a closer look at the expiry table on the TC website (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-2007c10-menu-355.htm). I've used that table before as reference, but I never clued in to the fact that manufacturer's that make both 3-in-1 or combination seats will give these seats a longer life than their other seats, like so:

Dorel 3-in-1: 8 years
All other Dorel: 6 years (including dedicated boosters)

Britax Frontier: 9 years
All other Britax: 6 years (including dedicated boosters)

How is it that a seat that can be used both harnessed and as a booster can have a longer useful life than a seat made by the same company that can only be used harnessed? I would get it if it was just booster mode that was longer (like the Graco Nautilus - extra 3 years of life for LBB only). Do they use a different kind of plastic for the shell that lasts longer even if the seat is being used in harnessed mode for the life of the seat?

But then even the Graco Nautilus example of the seat being good for 9 years as a LBB begs the question of why other boosters aren't good for longer than 6 years. Even the Monteray is only good for 6 years while the Radians are all good for 8.

I had always figured Radians had the 8 year useful life because they aren't only made of plastic, and I'm only now realising :)o) that there are other harnessed seats that are good for 8 or 9 years. But I don't understand why those ones are.

And in all likelihood someone will answer in 5 minutes with a perfectly obvious explanation that I've totally missed. :p

Last edited:
ADS

amyd

My assumption has always been that the manufacturer makes the assumption that a 3-in-1 or combo seat will not be used for its entire life in harnessed mode. A booster just boosts the child up. It doesn't restrain the child and has no harness to degrade or slot strength to be concerned about. I know that we always tell parents not to use Dorel 3-in-1s in booster mode, but of course, parents do anyway. I think it would be rather rare for a 3-in-1 or a Frontier to be used for all 8 or 9 years in harnessed mode and manufacturers know this.

MomToEliEm

With the newer Britax seats, the info I saw said that they increased the expiration from 6 years to 7 years due to the following

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=131578
New black plastic shell will extend the expiration on the car seat from 6 years to 7 years as the UV rays of the sun do not affect it.

I guess changes to various things such as different plastic or an incorporated metal frame can affect the expiration. I don't know why each manufacturer chooses the expiration date. They may prefer to put shorter expiration dates even though the seat might last much longer since they are wanting older seats out of the market due to changing safety features. We may never know the full reason.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have to admit that I could care less about plastics breakdown. I do care about missing parts, unknown histories, abuse, and advancing technologies. For those reasons, and not plastics, I encourage people to replace their restraints at or before expiry.

-Nicole.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My assumption has always been that the manufacturer makes the assumption that a 3-in-1 or combo seat will not be used for its entire life in harnessed mode.

Its a poor assumption for them to make. :thumbsdown: I know of many a seat that has been passed down to be used with its harness near the end of its life. If the Scenera's not safe at that age, how is the Alpha-Omega? (I seriously doubt they're using a different formulation of plastic between the two.)

sparkyd

Its a poor assumption for them to make. :thumbsdown: I know of many a seat that has been passed down to be used with its harness near the end of its life. If the Scenera's not safe at that age, how is the Alpha-Omega? (I seriously doubt they're using a different formulation of plastic between the two.)

That's what I was thinking. Unless you say it can only be used in booster mode for the extra time (like the Nautilus) I don't think it is in any way reasonable to assume the harness won't be used for the life of the seat. :twocents:

sparkyd

A booster just boosts the child up. It doesn't restrain the child and has no harness to degrade or slot strength to be concerned about.

Exactly. So why are boosters only good for 6 years while a harnessed seat from the same manufacturer expires in 8 or 9 years?

I have to admit that I could care less about plastics breakdown. I do care about missing parts, unknown histories, abuse, and advancing technologies. For those reasons, and not plastics, I encourage people to replace their restraints at or before expiry.

I agree totally that earlier rather than later expiry can be a good thing for all of these reasons. Plastic degredation with harnessed seats is an issue for me though. It'll be a long time before the images of the harness ripping though plastic on the Marathons in the "beyond compliance" TC research testing are wiped from my mind, whether that had anything to do with degredation or not (which it likely didn't). There is also a similar video out there that is supposedly a 10 year old Britax seat with the harness ripping through the shell. In any case, expiry is a good thing whatever the reasons are.

amyd

Exactly. So why are boosters only good for 6 years while a harnessed seat from the same manufacturer expires in 8 or 9 years?

Right or wrong, I really think a lot of it is due to marketing. You can't buy "the only seat your child will ever need" if it expires before the child is old enough to legally be out of a booster seat (8 years old in many provinces).

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
No arguments here. Cosco misleads parents to make a buck. But, really, the problem here is that parents allow themselves to be fooled. Most parents spend more time choosing a nursery colour than they do selecting a carseat. So Cosco sees a mark, and goes for it.

-Nicole.

Right or wrong, I really think a lot of it is due to marketing. You can't buy "the only seat your child will ever need" if it expires before the child is old enough to legally be out of a booster seat (8 years old in many provinces).

Lea_Ontario

No arguments here. Cosco misleads parents to make a buck. But, really, the problem here is that parents allow themselves to be fooled. Most parents spend more time choosing a nursery colour than they do selecting a carseat. So Cosco sees a mark, and goes for it.

-Nicole.

This is so true that it's disturbing ! I see families come in two or three times before they can pick out a bedding set, and see the same family just pick the first carseat they like the colour of at all :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC