Britax 70 fail

Pixels

I know this is old news for the most part, but I went to BRU tonight with DD and played with the new Marathon 70 for the first time. I can't believe how short the shell of the Marathon is. DD has about 1.5 inches of growing room over her head in the Marathon. In the ComfortSport, she has about 2 inches of growing room. So I think that officially makes the new Britax seats the shortest shells on the market. Pathetic. :thumbsdown:

ADS

jjordan

That's interesting. I tried my dd in a boulevard 70 on the test bench at BRU, along with several other seats. She was just at the RF height limit on the BV70 and the Myride. I don't remember what other seats we tried off the top of my head, but she definitely had the same amount of room in those two (and, incidentally, also in the original BV, although that one I tried at home and not on the test bench like the other two).

ETA: I do have pictures, but haven't uploaded them yet.

NannyMom

Are you sure? I'm sure Sofi's outgrown the Comfortsport, because she's outgrown the Titan. But She had an inch or 2 above her head in the Marathon 70.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I know this is old news for the most part, but I went to BRU tonight with DD and played with the new Marathon 70 for the first time. I can't believe how short the shell of the Marathon is. DD has about 1.5 inches of growing room over her head in the Marathon. In the ComfortSport, she has about 2 inches of growing room. So I think that officially makes the new Britax seats the shortest shells on the market. Pathetic. :thumbsdown:

Do you have a picture? :confused: My DD had a smidge of growing room RF in the MA70 when we met up with Darren in August. She was 4Y9M at the time, and had surely long outgrown the ComfortSport RF.

Pixels

As sure as I can be without a tape measure. I was checking with the seats in FF mode, since DD was not in the mood to be cooperative. When I wanted her to play with seats, she wanted to look at other stuff. When I wanted to look at other stuff, she wanted to play with seats. Typical 2yo. She definitely had more room over her head in the Scenera.

fyrfightermomma

Do you have a picture? :confused: My DD had a smidge of growing room RF in the MA70 when we met up with Darren in August. She was 4Y9M at the time, and had surely long outgrown the ComfortSport RF.

And if the RA55 is based on the MA70 shell, well my tall 40" DD2 who is going on 4 years old who wears a size 4T shirts still had room RFing. There is NO way she'd fit in a CS. Same with Joseph. He has miles above his head in it installed and he is a huge guy.

Unless the MA70 is a different shell. That's what I don't get about this seat. Some people say their 1 year olds are outgrowing it, but I have two large children who fit with room to spare. Another phantom seat maybe?

cookie123

Maybe different cars/angles/ or maybe different perspective of when seat is outgrown? I should plop M in one sometime.

Cryssy Jane

O has outgrown the MA70 RF at 2.5. I'd be interested to see if he still fits in a RA55. Maybe it's another phantom seat?

cpsaddict

My DD is 18mths(almost), 35" tall and fits with at least 4" above her head. I am really not seeing the shortness thing. Yeah, she has a little more room in her old MA, but not much.

mamahen

I hope it's not extra short!! I just ordered one today for DS who is 24# and almost 32" tall at 13 months. It should be here on Monday so I'll try to post pics then.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nah, it's not extra short. It's not super duper tall, but it's taller than the CS.

Here's Laine today in the CS. It's reclined for rear facing and on the shelf at Target. Her head is slightly forward (and obviously very bonked), but you can see she's got two to three inches above her head. Not a lot, but it would work for now and get her maybe another year.

5064086066_dc0d622f42.jpg

Here she was six weeks ago in the MA70. Not a great picture of the room above her head rear facing.

4886519857_a2fbd77313.jpg

But here it is upright and you can see she's got tons of room above her head. Far more than the CS. Subtract just a hair from that for rear facing, and she's still got a ton of room above her head.

4886520591_66c38c751a.jpg

Wendy

mamahen

So is this seat going to be OK for a spare seat at grandmas house? DS is 8/27/09, 24-3#, and 31.5". not sure of his torso lately but it's generally been on the higher end.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
So is this seat going to be OK for a spare seat at grandmas house? DS is 8/27/09, 24-3#, and 31.5". not sure of his torso lately but it's generally been on the higher end.

My DD1 still fit RF at about 40", 37 lbs., and 4y9m. :twocents: Torso heights vary, of course, but still. He should have plenty of room.

nak

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

He's a couple of weeks older than Laine, five pounds heavier, two inches taller. He's probably got something like 2.5-3 years rear facing in the Britaxes.

Wendy

mamahen

He's a couple of weeks older than Laine, five pounds heavier, two inches taller. He's probably got something like 2.5-3 years rear facing in the Britaxes.

Wendy

Thanks! I only got this seat because everyone said it would be *the* easiest for grandma to be able to install and use. I'm a little worried it's going to be too heavy. the other one I considered was the Coccoro because I know it's so light. She's only 5'1" with a 2010 Highlander. I thought about a MR65 but it's harder to get the LATCH with the clips vs the push button ones.

OP- Sorry to hijack.

cookie123

Thanks! I only got this seat because everyone said it would be *the* easiest for grandma to be able to install and use. I'm a little worried it's going to be too heavy. the other one I considered was the Coccoro because I know it's so light. She's only 5'1" with a 2010 Highlander. I thought about a MR65 but it's harder to get the LATCH with the clips vs the push button ones.

OP- Sorry to hijack.

Looking at the side view of Laine in the MA, the MA is still pretty 'high on a pedastal' looking for a 5'1" grandma in a higher SUV. Maybe something low profile would be better. Also something lighter if she's going to be taking it in and out.

zactayaus

Here's my LO in the MA70. He was 17mo, 24lbs and 32" at the time of the pic, but he has a ginormous torso.

100_1426.jpg

mamahen

Looking at the side view of Laine in the MA, the MA is still pretty 'high on a pedastal' looking for a 5'1" grandma in a higher SUV. Maybe something low profile would be better. Also something lighter if she's going to be taking it in and out.

She will be taking it in and out- that's why I wanted the easiest install which, on here, the consensus seemed to be the MA. What would you think is lighter and lower profile? I haven't received the MA yet so I can just return it without taking it out of the box if I need to. again, sorry to hijack, OP.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC