Say you have 5 minutes to talk about carseats to a room full of doctors

oxeye

What would you focus on?

I'm going to give a carseat presentation on Friday to about 30 family practice residents and attending doctors. I only have 5 minutes, so obviously not a ton of time. I want to focus on the things where doctors can make a difference in terms of educating parents.

Ideas? I have a few, but I want to see what you all think. :) I'm really excited about this!!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

-read the manual
-rear face to the limits (AAP statement)
-harness til at least 4 and 40 (mention maturity and keeping seatbelt in place)
-5 step test for seatbelt

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
-refer to CPSTs for sure!
-always read the manual
-rear-face as long as possible, to limits of the seat; legs are NOT an issue and this is the AAP recommendation; seats now on the market that can get many kids to 3-5 RF; 1 should NOT be the minimum, rear-facing beyond 2 is safest!
-Maturity, age and fit are most important booster criteria; 4 and 40 is the minimum but if a kid is not ready, developmentally, a HWH should be used instead (many kids not ready until between 5 and 7.)
-the law is a MINIMUM, use boosters until the kid 5 steps
-free handouts available from Safety Belt Safe (www.carseat.org, "reproducible resources.")

Rosey

Focus on the main things discussed in well checks. A pp gave a good idea. With the focus being on transitions: RFing to FFing and FFing to booster. Doctors don't usually give advice on aftermarket products and coats in the car, or expirations etc but they do tell parents when it is 'okay' to make the switch, or even when they HAVE to.

The AAP statement and facts on the physics of rear facing would be helpful, as would the 5 step test. Some 5 step test handouts would be nice too.

mommy-medic

Would it be possible to show a crash test video of RFing vs FFing. I think hearing the recs is one thing, but seeing a 10 second video would "stick" a LOT better. Will you have access to a projector, or even a laptop or maybe if someone has an iPad? Heck a phone would work too but would have to show smaller groups of 4-5 at a time.

jjordan

I agree that it would be good to focus on the transitions and to have a handout for them. I'd probably just do one handout with the basics, and then a list of resources where they can get more information or that they can give parents to get more information.

You didn't really ask about an approach, so ignore this part ifyou want :), but I think it might help motivate them if you tell them at the beginning stuff like... parents are relying on them to know how to keep their kids safe in the car, their words carry a lot of weight with parents, etc. You can also say something how this might be intimidating (to the doctors) because they're not carseat experts, and then give a plug for CPST's. :)

Good luck and have fun! Sounds like a great opportunity!

CarSeatPoncho

If you only have 5 minutes, imho, REAR FACING TILL 2 YO would be the ONE point I would work thoroughly. 5 minutes is not a long time, so work that one point with everything you've got.

Good luck! What a great opportunity!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Have them repeat after you.

Repeat after me:
"Children need to rearface as long as possible. Never turn your child forward facing at a year old. There is no concern about legs touching the back of the seat. Children need to rearface as long as possible. Never turn your child forward facing at a year old. There is no concern about legs touching the back of the seat."

Ask them..BEG them...to promise they will NEVER tell a parent to turn their child at 1/20. Forget it as a relic of the past, akin to not washing your hands between patients. It's old, outdated, DANGEROUS info, that they should NOT SPREAD.

oxeye

Awesome ideas everyone! I'm going to work on it this afternoon.

I'm going to make a handout with key points as well and will include some links and images on that. I hope they are receptive and learn something. I know we all hear the "well my doctor said ..." and that frequently trumps CPST training in the eyes of the parent. So hopefully I can address at least a little of this in my community.

Jan06twinmom

Can you show a 1 minute video? I think this one drives the point home very quickly and visually:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]YouTube - Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car[/ame]

Can you provide some handouts? I was thinking something that goes over the basic types of car seats, emphasizes that there are car seats that rf to 35 to 45lbs and harnesses to 65lbs+. Are all of the doctors practicing in your area? If so, can you include the names and contact numbers for some CPSTs in your area?

Here's my favorite handout about the 5 step test. It would be something drs could copy and hand out to patients: http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.pdf

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC