Sportage rollover risk?

Hollyob

I am considering a 2011 Sportage, but the rollover risk (3 stars from NHTSA) has me worried. I know they strengthened the roof for the 2011 (otherwise I wouldn't even consider it), but I still wish it had scored higher in the government testing. The 2011 does have electronic stability control, which is something. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

ADS

Pixels

Do you need a vehicle that has an increased risk of rollover? For example, my dad needs a big pickup truck to tow his fifth wheel. The vehicle he has has an increased rollover risk, but so does every other vehicle that has the capability to tow that much weight.

Hollyob

There are three different models of the 2011 Sportage- the base model, the EX, and the LX. Crash testing is not yet available for the 2011, but the 2010 got 3 stars (out of 5) for rollover. It doesn't specify which model here: http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2010/kia/sportage/crash_tests.html (though I can't find this info directly from NHTSA. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/database/veh/veh.htm)

The IIHS did its testing on the 2011, which is how I know that "roof strength" went from "poor" to "good." I guess I missed the fact that NHTSA had not done theirs. Maybe it will get a better rating, since the whole thing was redesigned.

Do you need a vehicle that has an increased risk of rollover? For example, my dad needs a big pickup truck to tow his fifth wheel. The vehicle he has has an increased rollover risk, but so does every other vehicle that has the capability to tow that much weight.

Good point. I'm still leaning toward the Mazda5 anyway. Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC