How to explain to OTHER children why YOURS is still in a booster/seat?

todzwife

DS's 7th birthday is on Friday. He just graduated to a booster (and is doing very well in it BTW). I am picking up 2 of his 7 year old friends Friday to take them to a local play place and to our house for a small party. I asked BOTH mothers of the other 2 boys if they had a booster they'd like me to put them in and they practically laughed in my face "oh he hasn't been in a booster for a year, I was SO over it..." one said.

The law here is is 6 yrs or 60 pounds. DS is only 45 and honestly I don't care how OLD a child is, they aren't tall enough until they are at least 10 to fit in a regular vehicle belt. I only have 1 extra booster and I have a feeling they'll both fight NOT to ride in it...

I'm anticipating the other kids asking why my son is still in a booster seat. I'm going to explain to MY child today that I want him safe and comfortable, but what do I tell the other kids without sounding like their mothers don't care? (Really, it's a convenience issue for them.)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
7yos would not ride in my car without a booster, period.

If other kids ask why, I tell them that in my car, they need boosters to make the belts fit right. Many of my kids' friends have seen one of my Twinkie/skeleton demonstrations.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If I were intending to transport 7 year olds who exceeded the legal minimums for boostering, I'd do the 5 step test. If they didn't pass, they wouldn't ride in my car. No backs at Walmart are $13.50. I'd go buy one if I only had one spare booster. I would let the parents know this ahead of time, that you will test them and if they don't pass they'll be expected to ride in a booster and you will supply it. If that's a problem, they can either meet you there or decline the invite.

And what I'd tell ALL the kids is that everyone makes decisions based on the best information they have at the time. I'm a tech, so I understand that not using a booster when you can't pass the 'test' is dangerous. I'll share this info with your parents so they are aware as well. And I'd leave it at that.

Tracy

CPST Instructor
When dd3 was still in a booster and her friends weren't, they would ask her why she was still in that 'baby seat' and she would say, "Because my mommy loves me." That usually made them think about it a little.

Maybe you could coach your son to say something like that or maybe you could say something similar.

BTW, many of her friends starting using their boosters again after that. :D

Tracy

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If I were intending to transport 7 year olds who exceeded the legal minimums for boostering, I'd do the 5 step test. If they didn't pass, they wouldn't ride in my car. No backs at Walmart are $13.50. I'd go buy one if I only had one spare booster.

That's basically what I'd do - explain that it's to make the seat belt fit properly so that it doesn't hurt them in a crash. Tell them they won't need a booster if the sit belt fits them correctly, and then give them the 5-step test. They won't pass, so then they get a booster. It's not your fault. ;)

When dd3 was still in a booster and her friends weren't, they would ask her why she was still in that 'baby seat' and she would say, "Because my mommy loves me." That usually made them think about it a little.

Maybe you could coach your son to say something like that or maybe you could say something similar.

BTW, many of her friends starting using their boosters again after that.

My problem with doing that is that it implies to the child that their parents don't love them, which of course we know isn't true. I don't think that's fair to do a kid, when the decision of whether they ride in a booster is really up to the parents, not the kid. :twocents:

Now, I have no problem working on the kids from the "it's so safe/comfy/cool or cute looking" angle. :p That'll get them to bug their parents for a booster, too.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
With boys, I'd go pick up the Harmony $13.50 seat(s) from Walmart in the Camo print:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-LiteRider-Youth-Backless-Booster-Car-Seat-Camo/15047828

Then do as pp said. Try them without and when they don't pass the "test" you put them in a cool booster. Maybe they will like that the belt fits correctly and go home to tell Mom that they want one too.
My 8yo has the camo booster and loves it. It is very low-profile plus the awesome camo print is a sure hit with the boys!

babyherder

I actually have several copies of the five step test and pictures of older kids in boosters in my car. I can show kids (and parents) why they still need boosters. So far 'my' 6 year old has asked and I showed him some of the five steps. He felt the lap belt over his tummy and frowned, shook his head, and said he still needed his booster. His 9 year old brother never says a thing even though he's out of a booster in his mom's car. Older kids can read the test and test themselves. And then put themselves right into a booster.

andre149

I agree... I wouldn't transport the other children without boosters either. If they ask why just explain to them that the seatbelts don't fit them well enough yet to be without one and in your car they have to ride in one. What the parents do is their choice... but I certainly feel that in my car you have to ride by my rules :)

I agree... I wouldn't transport the other children without boosters either. If they ask why just explain to them that the seatbelts don't fit them well enough yet to be without one and in your car they have to ride in one. What the parents do is their choice... but I certainly feel that in my car you have to ride by my rules :)
:yeahthat:
and sometimes kids get pleasantly surprised - last year I drove on a field trip where 2 of DD1's classmates who don't use boosters in their car were in the 3rd row of my '05 Highlander, where my rule is that kids ride in the highback boosters b/c there's no side curtain airbags in the 3rd row. We were driving onto the freeway and the 2 girls were looking out the window and saying "whoa, you can see everything!" I'm sure it wasn't enough to make them want to ride in boosters in their cars again, but at least they didn't mind riding in them in *my* car:)
But OP, I can empathize - my girls are almost 9 and I'm sorta dreading the first field trip b/c every year, fewer and fewer of their classmates use boosters and IME the boys are more vocal about needling the smaller boys who still use boosters (the girls usually just tell me "I don't *need* a booster")

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I wouldn't transport kids who don't 5-step without a booster either. (Especially because CA law has a proper use clause in our seatbelt law. Though it's only enforced by some departments, it's there. Seatbelts that don't fit are technically against the law, and need a booster.) I would phrase it to the mothers as "My seatbelts don't tend to fit 7 year olds properly. Would you like to provide a booster for them to use, or should I use one of mine?"

myliljunebugs

When explaining to other kids I say that my car belts don't fit kids well, and even some adults and that for safety AND comfort we use boosters until no longer needed. DS even chimes in saying how much more comfy a booster is (I let him find out the hard way on that one without moving.)

simplychels

I would approach that the same way I do when other children ask me/DD why she is still "Facing the back". Because she is safer that way. End of story. Children don't need an explanation, they don't know what the heck you are rambling about.

mommy-medic

Other kids: "Why are you in a booster/carseat/baby seat?
My kid: Because the seatbelt hurts my stomach/neck.

(Ok, *my* kids would give differing answers depending on the kid. DD2, who is even more safety conscious than I am, would explain the physics of the 5 steps test and that her knees don't bend at the edge of the seat, etc etc etc. DD1, otoh, when asked why she's in a booster, would probably say something along the lines of "to make you look up my nose" :rolleyes:). I swear I'm not missing myuch by not having a boy sometimes.

christineka

When kids ride in our van (rarely) I just point them to the booster they can sit in. Only one kid questioned, by saying she doesn't need a booster. I told her she did in my van. In other people's vehicles, I just explain that my kids are short and need boosters. (They rarely ride with others because I don't like to deal with the booster issue.)

April

:yeahthat:

This happened to me last week with a very large 8 year old. Her mom asked me to drive her and told me she didn't need a booster. I said "in my car the belts don't fit my 9 year old without a booster, so your 8 year old will need one. Luckily I have some extras so it won't be a problem". When I picked up the kid, she just said "where am I sitting?" and I pointed to the spot with the backless turbo. End of story. I drove her two days in a row and never heard another peep about it from the girl or her mom.

ownedbyhorses

While my child is the rare Tall one.....She did not need a booster after she turned 8. Actually a little b4 that, but I did keep her in one until then. She has always been the tallest in her class, and was also the "Only" one in a seat. I wish more parents had more concern over their childrens safety. (Just generally speaking) My ODS is still in a 5pt harness because he is so light.
Anyways...I agree with the PPs who said that they must use a booster! I would not want to be liable for those children if something did happen. That would be awlful. I would just tell the parents they will need the booster in your car. Maybe they will provide them for you. ?? Hope they are understanding.
Best wishes

todzwife

Oh don't worry, I was going to pick up a Harmony when I go grocery shopping today and put the 2 high backs in the 3rd row and the backless in the second row (no side airbags in the 3rd row).

Thanks for the ideas ladies. I figure if they ask, I'll tell them that in MY car they need a booster to help the seat belt fit right. The.End.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC