2 kids, 2 car seats + international travel = headache....

Mummy2Summer

I am flying next month with my 2 kids from SFO to Sydney Australia.

My daughter has a TFP as her main seat and I have a RA50 as a spare seat.

My son only has a KF30.

Which seat is easier to take for my daughter? I plan to FF her on the flight, I have done this trip several times before and its not worth the fight (or the bickering) from the person in front who can't recline their seat on a 14 hour flight. On all my previous trips my DD only had a Blvd.

We will be in Australia for 7.5 weeks so I want her to be comfortable RFing and ideally i'd like to take her TFP but i'm worried it won't fit on the plane.

My son doesn't have a seat, he is a lap baby.... yes yes I know but to buy him a ticket was $1700 and that just isn't feasible. So far the seat next to me is still free so I was planning to take his car seat with me to the gate and 'hope' that I can take it on the plane. What do I do with the base? do I stow it in the overhead compartment? gate check it? or try and fit it into my checked baggage?

The return flight is already completely sold out am I better off to gate check the seat or check it with the baggage?

sorry for all the questions!

Forgot to mention we are flying United Airlines

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's never a good idea to check a carseat as baggage. Bring it to the gate with you. Hope someone doesn't show up for the flight. I'd put the base either in the overhead, or ship one ahead of time to your family there (I'm assuming you're visiting family).

I'd probably bring the True Fit, though I don't know how it installs forward facing with the buckle probably hitting the lockoff. It'll fit, just put the armrest up. But the buckle and lockoff would have me concerned. I don't know of anyone here who's flown with one forward facing. I'm sure someone has, though. If you fly with the RA50, be prepared to need a seatbelt extender to get it to uninstall properly at the other end.

Wendy

Mummy2Summer

It's never a good idea to check a carseat as baggage. Bring it to the gate with you. Hope someone doesn't show up for the flight. I'd put the base either in the overhead, or ship one ahead of time to your family there (I'm assuming you're visiting family).

I'd probably bring the True Fit, though I don't know how it installs forward facing with the buckle probably hitting the lockoff. It'll fit, just put the armrest up. But the buckle and lockoff would have me concerned. I don't know of anyone here who's flown with one forward facing. I'm sure someone has, though. If you fly with the RA50, be prepared to need a seatbelt extender to get it to uninstall properly at the other end.

Wendy

Unfortunately shipping the base ahead of schedule isn't an option.. it would cost a few hundred dollars to mail it. I'll carry it with me to the gate and stick it in the overhead (assuming I can take the seat on the flight) otherwise I'll have to gate check it and the car seat :s

I really would prefer to bring the TFP i'm just worried about it fitting on the flight..... do you know how it compares size wise to a Boulevard? I've flown with the boulevard numerous times and had to use a seat belt extender and move the arm rest up.... that said we were in Economy plus which had wider seats and more leg room...

I'd love to have her RFing on the flight which will be an option if the seat next to me is free. I am sitting on the bulkhead with my son and my daughter and my mother are sitting directly behind us. So if the KF gets to go onboard I know I can RF her.

Kids and flying are so complicated!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh man, a bulkhead? That sucks. Take the RA50 then. There's a hope it'll install in the bulkhead since it sits up high on a base. The TFP won't fit at all since the armrests there don't move.

Is the Chicco in AU? Could you order a base there? Otherwise yeah, bring it with you (in the original box if you can) and gate check it, or put it overhead.

Wendy

Mummy2Summer

Oh man, a bulkhead? That sucks. Take the RA50 then. There's a hope it'll install in the bulkhead since it sits up high on a base. The TFP won't fit at all since the armrests there don't move.

Is the Chicco in AU? Could you order a base there? Otherwise yeah, bring it with you (in the original box if you can) and gate check it, or put it overhead.

Wendy

I am sitting on the bulkhead with DS (and possibly the KF) and DD will be in the row behind (where the armrests do move)

Chicco doesn't sell car seats in Australia :( I dont have the box...

leighi123

I've flown with a regular TF and it installs easily on the plane. I would go talk to the person at the gate when you check in, tell them you are flying with 2 young children and ask if you can get all of you into the bulkhead row. Just say you need to sit with your dd. They will arrange for you to sit next to your own kid, even if you are flying with another adult. (I fly with my parents often, and have always been able to get either my seat or ds's seat moved so we can all sit together, instead of my mom sitting with ds and me sitting in the next row). They'd rather have you next to your kids than having your kids scream for you during the flight! (you can just tell them it might happen....I do even though my ds would sit with a random person and still be happy!)

Gate check the infant seat, just attach the base when you do it. I would also get a bag for it, AND ask them to 'walk the seat down' because its 'fragile' otherwise they will put it down a large slide which sometimes just drops stuff from the gateway t the ground! :thumbsdown: Sometimes they dont have the slide and walk everything down, but look out the window before you board to see which set-up they have.

Mummy2Summer

I've flown with a regular TF and it installs easily on the plane. I would go talk to the person at the gate when you check in, tell them you are flying with 2 young children and ask if you can get all of you into the bulkhead row. Just say you need to sit with your dd. They will arrange for you to sit next to your own kid, even if you are flying with another adult. (I fly with my parents often, and have always been able to get either my seat or ds's seat moved so we can all sit together, instead of my mom sitting with ds and me sitting in the next row). They'd rather have you next to your kids than having your kids scream for you during the flight! (you can just tell them it might happen....I do even though my ds would sit with a random person and still be happy!)

Gate check the infant seat, just attach the base when you do it. I would also get a bag for it, AND ask them to 'walk the seat down' because its 'fragile' otherwise they will put it down a large slide which sometimes just drops stuff from the gateway t the ground! :thumbsdown: Sometimes they dont have the slide and walk everything down, but look out the window before you board to see which set-up they have.

thanks! good to know the TF fits on the plane!

I picked the seats we have, I have flown with a BLVD before and it didn't fit in the bulkhead as the arm rests don't move and there is no way a TF will fit if the BLVD didn't.

KiwiGem

I am sitting on the bulkhead with DS (and possibly the KF) and DD will be in the row behind (where the armrests do move)

Chicco doesn't sell car seats in Australia :( I dont have the box...

In NZ, we have an Australian standards version of the Keyfit that has had the LATCH removed, a stabiliser (ARB) bar added to the base & a top tether attached.

http://www.chicco.com.au/navigateau...s&pid=140&pname=Key Fit Car Seat&cccountry=AU

I don't know if this helps with your travel plans or even if they are compatible bases with your KF but the link says that extra bases with tether straps are available to purchase separately.

Mummy2Summer

In NZ, we have an Australian standards version of the Keyfit that has had the LATCH removed, a stabiliser (ARB) bar added to the base & a top tether attached.

http://www.chicco.com.au/navigateau...s&pid=140&pname=Key Fit Car Seat&cccountry=AU

I don't know if this helps with your travel plans or even if they are compatible bases with your KF but the link says that extra bases with tether straps are available to purchase separately.

is that seat new out?!? I've looked before and didn't find anything?

I thought I had once seen a pic of a KF with an ARB but thought I must have been dreaming when I couldn't find anything when I was looking.

I do think my seat is compatible with those bases as my seat has the yellow sticker on the side (as you can see in my siggie) and the base in the pic has it too.

I'll do some calling around tomorrow but given a travel system is $999 I don't think it would be worth it to buy just a base... and I'd be worried using a base made for the AU seats as my KF doesn't have a tethering option nor an ARB ... both my kids seats are actually illegal to use in Australia :rolleyes:

KiwiGem

I first saw it in a retailer here in NZ about 2 weeks ago & at first was excited but then I saw the Aus/NZ stds sticker & my heart sank... they take away LATCH & about 10lbs off the weight limit (it is only rated to 20lbs) & retail it for $469 NZ :thumbsdown:

It's a great looking seat but at that price I will be hard pushed to recommend anyone buys it for the very short time they will be able to use it for with that weight limit :(

Anyway, having never seen the US version I'm sorry I can't help you more but hopefully it helps you a little bit! I hope you enjoy your trip back home :)

Mummy2Summer

I first saw it in a retailer here in NZ about 2 weeks ago & at first was excited but then I saw the Aus/NZ stds sticker & my heart sank... they take away LATCH & about 10lbs off the weight limit (it is only rated to 20lbs) & retail it for $469 NZ :thumbsdown:

It's a great looking seat but at that price I will be hard pushed to recommend anyone buys it for the very short time they will be able to use it for with that weight limit :(

Anyway, having never seen the US version I'm sorry I can't help you more but hopefully it helps you a little bit! I hope you enjoy your trip back home :)

I just about passed out at the price!

I still can decide what to do...... the KF is coming and will be gate checked and the base i will take onboard and stow it.

I cant decide about DD's seat..... the TF is just so wide im worried its not going to fit!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Bring a sturdy, well-fitting box if you're going to gate check it, and some bubble wrap maybe. A bag just isn't enough protection. (Call the airline to see if you can gate check in the box. If you can't, then bring the bubble wrap AND a padded bag, and pray.)

Mummy2Summer

Bring a sturdy, well-fitting box if you're going to gate check it, and some bubble wrap maybe. A bag just isn't enough protection. (Call the airline to see if you can gate check in the box. If you can't, then bring the bubble wrap AND a padded bag, and pray.)

Honestly I don't know if I can carry a box, bubble wrap, 2 kids, 2 car seats, and carry on through the international terminal... this trip is getting more difficult by the second! I now don't know what to do...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can have the seat already packed (not sealed), if you're sure you're going to have to check it. If you can bring it on, you can just take it out when you get to the terminal.

Again, some international carriers WON'T accept boxes. Call to see if they will. If they won't, same deal-- you can have it in the padded bag, already bubble-wrapped, and take it through security that way. They'll have to wand and/or x-ray it separately, as it probably won't fit the scanner, so plan for extra time...

Mummy2Summer

You can have the seat already packed (not sealed), if you're sure you're going to have to check it. If you can bring it on, you can just take it out when you get to the terminal.

Again, some international carriers WON'T accept boxes. Call to see if they will. If they won't, same deal-- you can have it in the padded bag, already bubble-wrapped, and take it through security that way. They'll have to wand and/or x-ray it separately, as it probably won't fit the scanner, so plan for extra time...

I have emailed 3 local baby stores asking if they have a KeyFit30 box... meanwhile I just found the box from my daughters True Fit and the keyfit JUST and I mean JUST fits in it... do you think this is a safe alternative to the original KF box?

A box is better than a bag correct?

I will call UNITED tomorrow and ask about the box/gate check thing!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If they'll accept a box, a box is a good choice in comparison to a bag.

I know a Scenera or Cosco HBB fits perfectly in a double-walled Dish Barrel box from U-Haul (costs about $6 but VERY worth it, sturdy and with double walls designed to collapse and disperse force if dropped or hit) and I'm thinking a baseless Keyfit might if you put the handle the right way? IIRC I once put a Graco SnugRide in one, too...

ETA: here's the box: http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Kitchen-moving-boxes/Dish-Barrel-Box?id=2573

swtgi1982

I'll do some calling around tomorrow but given a travel system is $999 I don't think it would be worth it to buy just a base... and I'd be worried using a base made for the AU seats as my KF doesn't have a tethering option nor an ARB ... both my kids seats are actually illegal to use in Australia :rolleyes:

Even as a visitor? Your seats should not be illegal since you do not live there. Do they not have an exception for visitors like other countries?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
(Most countries technically DON'T have an official exception for visitors. Just, if you're using any seat, even a foreign one, the "must be certified in this country" laws are not usually enforced on tourists/short term visitors.)

Mummy2Summer

Even as a visitor? Your seats should not be illegal since you do not live there. Do they not have an exception for visitors like other countries?

I am trying to find the link but there is no visitor exception for car seats in Australia the use of a non Australian standard approved car seat is illegal regardless of visitor status... its really ridiculous!

I have made the personal parental decision to disregard that law... and hope I don't get pulled over!

Mummy2Summer

(Most countries technically DON'T have an official exception for visitors. Just, if you're using any seat, even a foreign one, the "must be certified in this country" laws are not usually enforced on tourists/short term visitors.)

this is what I always hope will get me out of trouble... but being I have a very strong Australian accent... I am not sure if I could get away with it if I was ever caught.... that said I have a US drivers license and I would argue my point!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC