Car Seat Check Flyer - How would you interpret this photo?

msg221

I received an e-mail today from one of the instructors of my CPST class letting us know that there is a seat check on the 16th if we were interested in working it. I scrolled down to the flyer below (make sure you click on it to enlarge it) and saw this photo of the boy in the seat (one I have never seen and since there's no retainer clip, I wonder if it is European). Of course the first thing I notice is that he's not harnessed properly but then wondered if that was the point, to illustrate that 7 out of 10 seats aren't used properly. After thinking about it though, I think it would be better to show a seat being properly used. What's your opinion?

View attachment 8344

ADS

smileybrea

CPS Technician
Given everything else that's wrong, I'd say that was the point. Guess I'm kind of torn on what I'd rather see on the flyer. Wow that's how my kid is strapped in, maybe I better go see why that's wrong or wow that's NOT how my kid is strapped in so maybe I better go see what I need to fix. Guess you could get the same reaction either way. I think it's ok for this flyer because it discusses the misuse and why it's so important to have them restrained KWIM?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd rather see a properly restrained kid, because if they look at it and say "Oh hey, mine looks just like that. It must be fine" and don't come... That kinda defeats the purpose, eh?

smileybrea

CPS Technician
I'd rather see a properly restrained kid, because if they look at it and say "Oh hey, mine looks just like that. It must be fine" and don't come... That kinda defeats the purpose, eh?

I thought of that but wouldn't you think that with the other information, it makes it obvious that it's wrong? Maybe it's just me ;)

Keeanh

Yeah, but what about the people who think that's how kids are supposed to ride in a car seat? They'd see the pic and think it was just a regular pic of a kid in a car seat and think "So what's there to check??" I think it would be better to have a toddler rf-ing, or a 5yo in a well-fitting harness. Then people might think "hmm, that's not what my kids are doing...".

msg221

Yeah, but what about the people who think that's how kids are supposed to ride in a car seat? They'd see the pic and think it was just a regular pic of a kid in a car seat and think "So what's there to check??" I think it would be better to have a toddler rf-ing, or a 5yo in a well-fitting harness. Then people might think "hmm, that's not what my kids are doing...".

This is what I was thinking. If it were me, I think I'd want to show a smiling, happy kid in a proper seat, harnessed correctly so parents/caregivers could see that and compare it to how they are buckling their kids in.

babyherder

Well, it doesn't look like any U.S. seat I've ever seen. Am I missing something? Also, to me, it doesn't look like the child is buckled at all.

MonkeysMom615

I think I'd rather see a properly restrained kiddo. I think people more often look at pictures than read the info kwim? They might just glance at the photo and say "Oh, that's what my kiddo looks like in the car so I must be doing it right."

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I thought of that but wouldn't you think that with the other information, it makes it obvious that it's wrong? Maybe it's just me ;)

Except that reading flyers, especially detailed ones like that, is kind of like reading instruction manuals-- most people don't do it. When I get a long detailed flyer I am often guilty of that myself-- I glance at the title and the picture and make a judgement based on that of whether to read the rest or not. (Of course if it had a car seat on it I would read it, but most people won't if it's not something they're interested in based on the title and picture and other big bolded info.)

mommy-medic

Also, to me, it doesn't look like the child is buckled at all.

He's not. Check out the belly pad area.

Big bulky coat, unrestrained, foreign seat.... yeah they are showing misuse, but why not just show a pic of a bad wreck with a car seat sitting outside the car?

Or a properly restrained kiddo? And isn't the misuse rate much higher than 70%?

Anyway- I hope the event goes well and some kids are able to at least leave safer (with better educated parents) than they arrived. :thumbsup:

TerisBoys

The seat is a Bebe Confort Iseos TT. Neat seat - the sides adjust in and out. European.

As for the flyer - I'd like to see both. The current pic with a red "don't" circle over it, and a properly fitted seat.

Last edited:

emtb79

I too like the idea of having mutiple pictures. Say 2 of misuse and 2 of correct use of different ages.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm assuming they're trying to show misuse, but I'd rather see a caption saying 'Does your child/seat look like this? If so, you need to visit our Car Seat Check!'...or something like that.

If no caption, I'd rather it be a proper use, happy kid pic. :twocents:

babyherder

Looks like a nice seat. But I'd rather see one that's legal in the U.S. And pictures that focus on proper use or an X over the incorrect use photo.

mrs_teeee67

The seat is a Bebe Confort Iseos TT. Neat seat - the sides adjust in and out. European.

As for the flyer - I'd like to see both. The current pic with a red "don't" circle over it, and a properly fitted seat.

EXACTLY the solution I thought of. THere should always be a good AND a bad pic if you're gonna use a pic, with a 'no smoking' circle on the bad, or a sad face above it and happy face above the correct,, something that can NOT help but make perfect sense at a glance

I cringed too when I saw the flyer. I refuse to distribute it as it reinforces improper use.

The mass majority of parents I know will only look at the pic, assume that's ok use & not read further into the flyer.

I agree, a don;t do this & please do this pic would be great.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC