Ford (Freestyle) owners, do you have this problem?

monstah

My Freestyle often accelerates / lunges while I am taking my foot off the brake. Does yours? I have done a little research about it tonight and will continue tomorrow. Just wondering what info you might have about it.

I have almost crashed into probably a dozen cars because of it. Parking lots, and drive-thrus mostly. And I almost ran over TWO pedestrians. One was a Wendy's employee who walked in front of me taking out the trash. The other time, I was in reverse, backing out of a spot and the car lunged at someone who was on the other side of the parking lanes.

From what I can tell, it's a fairly common problem but Ford can no longer get the part to fix it. I filed a complaint with NHTSA and will contact Ford tomorrow. Hopefully they have the part.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Are you certain it's the same problem you've been reading about? My sister's car was doing this just a couple months ago, and it was because the transmission fluid was too low.

monstah

I'm pretty certain. We are great about regular maintenance and I know the transmission fluid isn't low. It was checked last month when we got better tires.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Okay, that's good.

Except that it would have been a lot easier to fix, so maybe not so good.

Anyway.

kathysr98

The issue is the throttle body. My dealer had no problem getting the replacement part for me in June 2010. I have emailed the OP, but wanted to post this incase someone else searches for the same problem.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It could also be the master cylinder going out. Does the check engine light (I believe it is a little diagram of a wrench in fords) come on or flash?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC