need infant and/or convertible seat for 2010 honda fit

myk

i'm running into some trouble here and would really welcome suggestions!

we got a 2010 honda fit last spring. THEN we found out i'm pregnant! so far, baby2 is way ahead in the growth curve - just like her big sister was. DD1 was 22 lbs by 6 months, though her torso wasn't at the limit yet. obviously, if DD2 follows this growth pattern, a regular Snugride22 or similar seat isn't going to work for more than 6 months, and then what?

i thought i'd solve this problem by getting a higher-weight infant seat, but i borrowed a Snugride35 from a friend, just for a few minutes.. it won't fit. daddy is huge and needs his seat all the way back to drive. i'm not small either, and if i'm in the passenger side and the snugride35 is installed behind me, my knees touch the dashboard.

i don't think we can install in the centre, since DD1's booster seat takes up quite a bit of room - it's probably best to keep DD1 behind the driver, DD2 behind the passenger, which is also where the LATCH anchors are (no middle LATCH in the car).

so.. suggestions? has anyone installed a higher weight limit seat in a Fit successfully? what model was it? how about convertible seats - it's hard to find seats that are short these days, though i did look at the TrueFit with the removable headrest. i'm not sure though - if the kid is still short enough to fit without the headrest, do you still need to add the headrest when they're 22 lbs? the website said you can take the headrest off until you need it - "usually up to 22 lbs". not exactly concrete advice.

ADS

Pixels

The headrest of the TrueFit must be put on when the child reaches a height limit (red line at top of shell, basically) or when the child reaches 22 pounds, whichever comes first. A newborn needs the 45 degree recline, but by the time baby is big enough to need the headrest on, baby can usually tolerate a 35 degree angle, which takes up the same amount of room.

I've put a few convertibles in my brother's 2008 Fit (previous generation). He drives with his seat almost all the way back. Nothing has really been a problem, other than RFing Radian outboard (though it does work in the center).

amyd

The Fit really has quite a bit of room for seats in it. The TF works very well. Most infant seats will fit too.

LittlePeanut

Can you share your DD1's stats (age, weight, torso height)? Perhapsvthere are other options for her that would allow another seat to fit along with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC