My kidlets in the RA 55-pic heavy

fyrfightermomma

Honestly, I'm not seeing the insane shortness. This is based off the MA70 right? I've seen pics of 1-2 year olds outgrowing the MA70. So I know it happens. But for whatever reason, I'm not seeing it with my seat if it is indeed the same shell

My kids stats:

E 5y2m. 45" tall. 16.5" torso. 35 pounds. Wears size 6 shirts and 6 pants

S 3y8m 40" tall. 15.0" torso. 38 pounds. Wears 4/5 shirts and 4 pants

J 7 months. 30". 13.5" torso. 24 pounds (for reference he outgrew the KF30 by height at 8 weeks, the SS1 by height at 5 months, and is 1" from outgrowing the CCO by height.) Wears 18-24 months.

E-not installed in this pic but I put her in the seat in the car and it was similar. Just about at the top slots. She was not in the mood past that point for taking pics since she was all doped up on pain meds. Above average in height, below average in weight. But I would think had she been heavier, she'd be just fine going to a booster after outgrowing this seat. it probably would have been outgrown in the next 4-5 months making her over 5 1/2. Most kids that age and height would be well above 40 lbs. She is about 1" from outgrowing the Radian by height for reference.

DSC_0743.jpg

DSC_0744.jpg

Sophia-not installed but similar installed. Well below top slots. For reference she has about 2" left in the Radian. Average height and weight.(60% ish I think for both). Would make it fine to booster age(well normal people booster age of 4-5 years old. Probably not to "ideal" booster age for this board) in this seat. I suck at telling if the seat is outgrown RFing but I think she might just be *at* the height limit RFing. And strangely enough, this is pretty much how she fits RFing heightwise in the RA50 we have based off the old Marathon. So not too shabby. Almost to age 4. I would probably never use it as she is crammed in. I didn't buckle cause the straps were set for Joseph.

DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0747.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

Joseph-he's a big boy. He had almost outgrown his CCO by height. He fits similar to his RA50. At 7 months, he isn't even on the chart but wears 18-24 month clothing. Plenty of leg room.

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0757.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

So overall I'm happy I got it. It takes up wayyyy less room than the CCO did RFing. Super easy and fast to install. All my kids technically fit in it. So this might be one of those mysterious phantom seats that some kids outgrow as an average 2 year old or still fit as an average 6 year old.

ADS

fyrfightermomma

How did you find the crotch strap length?

Much better than the RA50! I refuse to use that seat in my car cause I can barely buckle him. He's huge and chunky and with a cloth dipe it just sucks. So DH gets that seat :whistle:

This is much longer and the 2nd setting is really far out. Almost to the harness adjuster. I had no problems buckling him. I still have to read the manual for what positions are allowed when though. I don't know if he can use the outermost one yet RFing but I'm thinking no. But the inner one fits fine. :thumbsup:

Spam

It takes up less room than the cco?? WOW, i didn't think that was possible, it's such a small seat. Cute kiddos btw :) When I saw the ra55 at brus I thought it looked really short, but I didn't try any kiddos in it. Maybe optical illusion.

fyrfightermomma

Did you try a seat belt install? Any problems with closing the lockoffs?

I should have added that fast and easy install was LATCH LOL. I can try seatbelt tonight. According to the manual, if your belts lock you don't need to use the lock offs, but I will try anyways. I don't know if I'll ever need them and that's probably a good thing!

Oh and for the crotch strap question, only the inner one can be used RFing. The outer is for FFing after 30 lbs or when they are over the inner one FFing.

fyrfightermomma

It takes up less room than the cco?? WOW, i didn't think that was possible, it's such a small seat. Cute kiddos btw :) When I saw the ra55 at brus I thought it looked really short, but I didn't try any kiddos in it. Maybe optical illusion.

Sorry that was a typo! I meant less room than the RA50/MA. I had CCO on my brain for some reason!

I did a seatbelt install tonight. Its not horrible but is interesting. I got it tight though. It took some fanagling. So Id say LATCH is easier than the old MAs and harder with seatbelt than the old seats

emandbri

Wow, that cover is ADORABLE! :jaw:

They fit really well, I haven't tried Elizabeth in it yet.

cpsaddict

Hmm, I was going to get another MA70, but the RA55 is cheaper and just as cute. I also don't see the terrible shortness of the shell. Kenzie has tons of room above her head and she is 95th% for height.

fyrfightermomma

Hmm, I was going to get another MA70, but the RA55 is cheaper and just as cute. I also don't see the terrible shortness of the shell. Kenzie has tons of room above her head and she is 95th% for height.

Thats why I chose it. I dont care about it having slots since he's the only one to ride in it. I think the rest of the features are the same except the FFing weight limits. But we know the MA70s weight limit is pointless

i think i paid like $140(dont know exact cause I used a paypal balance and didnt really pay attention) but im pretty sure it was the 140s. Not bad! Im happy with it

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Awesome!
I had a mom come in to BRU the other day saying she read how *SHORT* the new Britaxes were, and I said, well, yeah, compared to one or two other seats that can rearface kids up to age 5 (which people roll their eyes at, cuz, yeah, it's not gonna be something real life people have ever even considered...), they are a little on the short side... I almost asked her if she'd been reading here, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC