How do you check angle?

equilibrium

:eek:

Can you teach me how you measure angle? I know it's probably simple but I am not so good at what angles are what. Thanks!

ADS

Mae

Also, if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, they have a free angle reader App. :)

Mine is just called "Angle Reader".

monica-m

CPST Instructor
If you have an ipod or iphone there's an app for that ;)

It's free and it's called iHandy Level.

skylinphoto

If you have an andriod phone (better than the iphone mwuhahahaha)..theres apps that are free that will tell you the angle.

equilibrium

Woo hoo, thanks! I do have an iphone. I am going to check the apps out. I wasn't sure if they would be accurate. I don't get how some of those apps work!! I love my iphone.

That was hilarious, that crossposty thing. It was almost word for word the same-just a different app name!!!:)

Much appreciated.

Now, how is it that people do it at home with just a picture? I heard someone say they do it on the computer but need pic of the ground too, etc. Thanks!

glockchick

The iHandy level you have to calibrate on a surface you know is level, but it's not hard. I use it all the time.

Mae

Now, how is it that people do it at home with just a picture? I heard someone say they do it on the computer but need pic of the ground too, etc. Thanks!

A lot of us with some experience are pretty good at just eye-balling the picture and making an accurate guess, as long as the picture is taken at level ground.

There are a few members who can pull some magical tricks in Microsoft Word and play with angles and lines and buttons and make it work. I've ... tried doing that. :dizzy: I wasn't too successful. :eek:

So instead, I downloaded that App for my iPod and I also have an actual angle reader that I keep in my technician kit. :) -- [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T807/ref=ox_ya_os_product?tag=carseatorg-20"]This is the angle reader I have[/ame], in case anybody is wondering.

An action shot --

e16ad436.jpg

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I also want to post to not get obsessed over numbers. Watch the baby when it's a newborn, and when it's an older child, don't make them so upright that they look like they're sitting up.

Angles aren't a science and in general are over-thought a bit too much. My approach is this - the average parent does not worry about if their seat is 34* or 44* - they look at the recline indicator and go from there.

Most seats have a line-level-to-ground or else an actual indicator. They aren't always perfectly accurate, but they're usually ok.

There is an additional issue that the interior angle of the seat doesn't always match the exterior angle - and some seats the interior angle changes as a child grows in height, so it's not necessary to make the seat more upright because the child is already naturally sitting more upright. (The EFTA is like that.)

So bottom line? The apps are fine to use, but try not to get angle obsessed. There has been only once in the last 2 years that I have pulled out my angle-checker that looks like one somebody posted earlier in the thread - and that was because the parent wanted to know what the angle was. Otherwise the exact # doesn't matter as long as the seat isn't over-reclined or isn't so upright that the kid looks like they're upright instead of semi-reclined. Seats that are too upright look unnaturally upright, and seats that are over-reclined look like the kids are really reclined. Generally if either one of those is the case, adjust accordingly. :thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I WANT an angle reader. For now, I make a right angle with my thumb and index finger, and halfway is 45, and a third is 30. ;)

I don't stress over it if it looks good to me. You see enough, you can generally tell if it's overreclined or too upright. And of course the child is the most accurate indicator of needing more recline, and I always tell the parents that! There are a few brands where the level line or angle indicators are NOTORIOUSLY off. So when that's a potential issue I teach parents to evaluate angle using a different method.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC