My van burned to the ground :( (Very Picture Heavy)

poohbearkrazy

UPDATE #2: Okay i'll go ahead and spill the beans. Ford took full responsibility and sent us a check for the value of the van :D. I didn't want to say anything until I got the check because I didn't want to jinx it LOL :eek:. I just got the check an hour ago so I figured i'd let everyone know the good news. They also let us do whatever we wanted with the van, so we took it to the scrap metal place and made a little money off of it :thumbsup:.

UPDATE: I just wanted to update and say that we got some good news :thumbsup:. I can't spill the beans just yet but just know that everything is being taken care of. I will give full detail within a few days :D. Thanks again, to everyone for all your help and thoughts and prayers :love:.

It was 30 degrees here this morning so I went out and started my van to get it warmed up before taking the boys to school. I was inside combing my boy's hair when I heard a loud thumping noise coming from outside, so I ran outside to find that it was my van and the RPMs were revving as high as they could go. I shut it off and got the keys out and within seconds there were flames rolling out from under the hood. Here are some pictures if anyone is interested. In the passenger side back captains chair was a rear facing radian 80sl. In the very back bench on the passenger side was a Britax Regent. From the looks of it, the regent held up better than the radian. But that could be because it was farthest from the source of the fire. It just sucks because these were my only car seats and only car and my insurance doesn't cover it. We only had liability on it :(. We can use all the prayers we can get.

P1020367.jpg

P1020366.jpg

P1020365.jpg

P1020364.jpg

P1020363.jpg

P1020362.jpg

P1020361.jpg

P1020360.jpg

P1020359.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

mimieliza

I'm so sorry! That is sooooooo scary! I am glad you and your kiddos weren't in the car when it happened.

Wiggles

HOLY CROW!!!

O.O

I have to say, given the fact that the seat foam is burnt out and the plastic in the interior is gone, the Regent held up remarkably well I agree that the issue is less likely construction and more likely where the heat source was

And is that a Titan in your trunk, so you actually lost three seats, not just two?

Either way, this SUCKS. What year was your vehicle? I'd be contacting the manufacturer. There may be something they can do, after all, since this could be a dangerous thing that could lead to liability on their end if someone was hurt or killed, maybe even a recall.

And thank god that you didn't have a kid in the vehicle while you ran in to grab a lunch box or something like that! Even more reason never to leave a child in a car, even for a second!

henrietta

WOW! Thinking of you, and glad your family and home are okay.

I would contact both Sunshine Kids AND Britax and inquire about replacement seats directly from them. It's possible they may be willing to help you out w/a free or low cost seat in exchange for studying what's left of your old ones.

I'd also contact Ford about your van--maybe it's a problem that they will pay for. I really hope so!

You all are so fortunate that it didn't happen while you were buckling the kids in or driving down the road...

Take care!

henrietta

fyrfightermomma

Holy Crap! I am so sorry! Lots of prayers and positive thoughts for you that you figure out a solution. :( Was it completely engulfed by the time the fire dept got there?

Yeah, there isn't much left of the Radian. Are those two tall metal pieces coming out of the base the metal "frame" of the Radian?

lovinwaves

Oh dear god! :eek: I am in complete utter shock looking at your pictures. The what could have's are running in my head :crying:

And your house :eek: :( i hope the damage isn't too extensive.

(((((((HUGS))))))))))

menfusse

Oh wow! I'm so sorry! I will definitely be saying some prayers. I'm just glad that it happened before you guys were in it and driving down the road! (((HUGS)))

sunnymw

HOLY CRAP!!!

I am so sorry for this huge loss!! I know this is nothing short of absolutely devastating to your family, not to mention super-scary too!!

ctbcleveland

I am so glad no one was hurt and that the rest of your house didn't catch fire with it being so close to the open garage.

mommy-medic

Wow. Just wow. You are VERY fortunate it didn't catch the house on fire as well. I'm so sorry! If I had a spare seat I would send it to you right now!

Have you done any internet searches to see if any other people have reported the same probelm? Any recalls on vehicle?

So thankful nobody got hurt. Would your homeowner's insurance cover anything on it? Maybe even just contents? Would be worth asking since it was in your driveway at the time.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I can't imagine what I woudl do if I had to replace a vehicle right now. Let us know if there's anything we can do.

skylinphoto

OMG! I'm so sorry. Thank god everyone's safe.

First, I'd certainly contact the vehicle manufacturer.
Id contact britax and radian and see if you can get replacement seats (and id send them some of the pictures).

I'll be praying for you.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
nak, but WOW! I'm really glad that no one was in the car at the time.

I agree that you should contact Britax and SKJP - they may be interested enough in how their seats held up in such a fire that they'd be willing to replace your seats.

Also, you should most definitely contact Ford. I'd be willing to bet that your van is recalled for a potential fire danger:

http://news.injuryboard.com/ford-fire-danger-recall-45-million-cars-.aspx?googleid=272826

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/10/ford_fires10.html

ownedbyhorses

Sending P&PTs to you and yours. I agree...I am glad nobody got hurt!
I would be calling Ford! Along with SK and Britax also.
Best wishes!
Let us know what happens.

poohbearkrazy

HOLY CROW!!!

O.O

I have to say, given the fact that the seat foam is burnt out and the plastic in the interior is gone, the Regent held up remarkably well I agree that the issue is less likely construction and more likely where the heat source was
Yeah, those were my thought too.

And is that a Titan in your trunk, so you actually lost three seats, not just two?

It was just the box, thankfully. I just got it for my friend yesterday at kmart for $19

Either way, this SUCKS. What year was your vehicle? 2000 Ford Windstar I'd be contacting the manufacturer. There may be something they can do, after all, since this could be a dangerous thing that could lead to liability on their end if someone was hurt or killed, maybe even a recall.

And thank god that you didn't have a kid in the vehicle while you ran in to grab a lunch box or something like that! Even more reason never to leave a child in a car, even for a second!

I never have before, and after this I never ever will.

WOW! Thinking of you, and glad your family and home are okay.

I would contact both Sunshine Kids AND Britax and inquire about replacement seats directly from them. It's possible they may be willing to help you out w/a free or low cost seat in exchange for studying what's left of your old ones.

I called Britax and they said there was nothing they can do. I haven't had the chance to call Sunshine kids yet.

I'd also contact Ford about your van--maybe it's a problem that they will pay for. I really hope so!

I doubt it, I just had it in the shop about 2 months ago to have all the recalls fixed. They weren't very friendly :(

You all are so fortunate that it didn't happen while you were buckling the kids in or driving down the road...

This is the only thing I can think about right now. Praise God we are all safe.

Take care!

Thank you

henrietta

Holy Crap! I am so sorry! Lots of prayers and positive thoughts for you that you figure out a solution. :( Was it completely engulfed by the time the fire dept got there?

Yes, It took them a good 35-40 minutes to get it completely put out. Than they had to come back about 30 minutes later because it started up again.

Yeah, there isn't much left of the Radian. Are those two tall metal pieces coming out of the base the metal "frame" of the Radian?
Yep, that's whats left of it anyway.

Oh dear god! :eek: I am in complete utter shock looking at your pictures. The what could have's are running in my head :crying:

And your house :eek: :( i hope the damage isn't too extensive.

(((((((HUGS))))))))))

I know! These are my exact thoughts as well. Thank you

I am so glad no one was hurt and that the rest of your house didn't catch fire with it being so close to the open garage.

That was my main concern, I couldn't stress to them enough to get here FAST because it was so close to my house. The reason the garage door is open is because the opener was in the van and of coarse it caught fire and shorted out.

Thank you all so much for all the thoughts and prayers. We are in such shock. I lost my only ultrasound pictures I had of my daughter when she was still alive :(. They were in my CD case.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC