Supernatural Carseat Use

Wiggles

I'm a geek. I watch a television show called Supernatural wherein two brothers fight the powers of evil, simply because they were raised to do it and now they're sort of addicted to the lifestyle and all its vices.

SPOILERS FOR LAST WEEK'S EPISODE! STOP READING NOW TO AVOID SPOILERS!

I only got to watch Friday's episode last night. In this episode, the brothers rescue a six month old baby and end up having to hang onto it for awhile because of the fact that they don't know WHY whatever is after it is after it. A lot of this show takes place on the road so, of course, they have a carseat scene or two. Here is the carseat use. That seat IS forward facing.

Screenshot2010-10-04at111503AM-1.png

The harness is hideously loose, the seat is DEFINITELY expired, it's a t-shield and I'm fairly sure that most seats of that era required the straps in the top-slots for forward facing use. Not to mention that the baby in question is SIX MONTHS OLD AND FORWARD FACING.

Now, yes, it was made clear that this was VERY SUDDEN UNEXPECTED BABY. It was also made clear that these gentlemen had NO idea how to look after a baby. And the brothers themselves almost never wear seatbelts.

That said, a LOT of teenagers and young adults watch this show and so I felt like they should have shown better carseat usage. I'm assuming that the brothers stole the seat out of the parents' car (seems most likely to me), so it seems likely that, at least, the straps could have beem somewhere CLOSE to adjusted and the seat could have been unexpired and rear-facing. All of these things were quite possible to do without ruining the show, since they never made a big deal out of the carseat misuse (unlike Raising Hope, for example). In fact, they made it clear that carseats are VERY difficult to use--like something NASA would design was the phrasing they used. I'm just really irritated that, once again, there was an opportunity to model SOME good behaviour for teenagers and young adults and it was lost because of the manner in which they chose to portray this carseat use.

Bleh. Thumbs down, Supernatural. You ruined for me what could have been a REALLY hilarious episode.

Last edited:
ADS

Wiggles

Thanks. I think I will. I just feel like they could have done that MUCH better. This was given to be a first baby for the family that it belonged to. It made me grumble.

babyherder

I just wish TV shows at the very least would use carseats legally and properly. I'm not looking for best use or grand statements about safety. Just an non expired seat, legal for the age and weight of the kid, and used correctly!

Wiggles

I just wish TV shows at the very least would use carseats legally and properly. I'm not looking for best use or grand statements about safety. Just an non expired seat, legal for the age and weight of the kid, and used correctly!

Exactly. I KNOW that, for the sake of the storyline, these guys didn't have a clue. But if they were stealing the carseat out of the parents' car, shouldn't it have been appropriate for the child? (I'm assuming that's where Sam got it from)

Way too many young people watch this show. Making it out like a carseat is rocket science and showing terrible use does NOT help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC