Vintage Seat identification and observation guide

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I have a picture of my 15yo niece riding in the one listed on page 13, figure 6. My sister had a hand-me-down t-shield convertible for her, but she was a preemie and the hospital (correctly) said she was too small to ride in it. So they gave her that old bucket-thing instead!

She was actually in a crash in that seat, now that I think about it. Rear-ended by a semi, fortunately at low speed.

christineka

I think I rode in the Century Safe-T-Rider without the harness. I know my seat looked like a table booster and was brown. Oh- and we had lap-only belts in the back of our station wagon.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think I rode in the Century Safe-T-Rider without the harness. I know my seat looked like a table booster and was brown.

Like this one?

IMG_2178.jpg

(This one was made in 1984. It was in use when I got it - traded her for a backless Turbo! We destroyed it a few months later and it literally crumbled apart. Once we had the first hole, we could pick it apart with our fingers!)

Dillipop

My mom says that we rode in the strollee boosters with harness until we were around 5. The harnesses attached to tether anchors in the wagon part of their car.

I'm impressed with how many seats show tethers as available, considering the year. It's surprising they disappeared and then reappeared in the last 90's.

classicseats

My mom says that we rode in the strollee boosters with harness until we were around 5. The harnesses attached to tether anchors in the wagon part of their car.

I'm impressed with how many seats show tethers as available, considering the year. It's surprising they disappeared and then reappeared in the last 90's.

I guess they disappeared because they were used very little?

christineka

Like this one?

IMG_2178.jpg

(This one was made in 1984. It was in use when I got it - traded her for a backless Turbo! We destroyed it a few months later and it literally crumbled apart. Once we had the first hole, we could pick it apart with our fingers!)

No. Mine was plastic and all one color.

BabyGearCollector

Nice compilation of seats! I recognize the Century 300 seat on page I-18 as the exact one we had for our daughter when she was born in 1985. This was the seat that protected her in a side impact car accident when she was two years old.

Can't remember what seat we had for our son when he was born in 1989, and didn't see any in the file that quite looked like it. Sometimes I look on "freepatentsonline" to see classic seat design diagrams submitted by companies like Strolee back in the 1960s and '70s.

Dave

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC