advice on these snowsuits please

mavmakmar

Hi, I just wanted your professional opinion's on these snowsuits for my 2 month old son who rides in the britax chaperone. I know we shouldn't use anything bulking & I thought maybe these might be ok to use.

This 1st one I know would be ok, its a very thin fleece

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=8788&vid=1&pid=764069

Could I use the ones below?

This one is pretty thin (micro fleece)

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=8788&vid=1&pid=764117

& this one is shearling not to thick

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=8788&vid=1&pid=785695&scid=785695002

Would these be ok to use?

Thanks for your advice!

ADS

glockchick

Definitely not the last two. The first one I would have to feel to say.

Since he's in an infant seat, why not just cover him with blankets in the house and carry him out that way?

mavmakmar

Definitely not the last two. The first one I would have to feel to say.

Since he's in an infant seat, why not just cover him with blankets in the house and carry him out that way?

Why not the white micro fleece one? I thought fleece was safe to wear.

My need for the snowsuit is getting him in & out of the seat to go into the school or stores. We dont usually use the seat to carry him around in we just use it for driving. Im in Michigan and we get some pretty bad weather and keeping him in his infant seat isnt always possible.

We currently are using a Kidopatumus Posh cover that goes over the seat
http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_fsposh.php

but when I get him out of the seat to go into the stores or school it's cold he really needs to be wearing something

cookie123

For a kiddo in an infant seat, just take a fleece receiving blanket, fold it in fours and tuck it in around the baby. Top it with a hat and a shower cap style car seat cover. This is what we did and Matthew always came out toasty warm.

I think those all look like more than just a thin fleece. If you want to try one, do so by putting infant in it in the seat, buckled in. THen, without changing the harness at all, take the baby out and take out the snow suit, then put him back in and if you have to tighten the harness at all, it's too bulky.

glockchick

The white one is lined with sherpa. Sherpa is very thick.

You don't have to keep him in the seat when inside wherever, but when mine were little, I put them in the seat bundled up in the house, left them in it in the car (obviously), and then carried them into anywhere in it. I'd take them out while inside, but then I could put them back in the seat all bundled up before we went back outside again.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The first one says it si fleece LINED, QUILTED COTTON..that's going to be really bulky....quilted cotton is by definition puffy. I say no to all 3. Those are big, bulky covers.

Since you have an infant bucket, just ccover with a blanket, as a pp said, or get a "shower cap" style cover that goes over the entire seat, but NOT behind the child, like this one
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Jumper-Deluxe-Carseat-Carrier/dp/B001LPNH2G/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1286145265&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Jolly Jumper Deluxe Sneak-A-Peek Infant Carseat / Carrier Cover Deluxe Black: Baby[/ame]

I think you are underestimating the bulk of those items. If you can, go to a store which carries one of these items, with your carrier. put baby in one of the suit sin the store, then bukle him in the carrier. Then take him out, take the suit of, and put him back in the seat, and without tightening the straps, see exactly how loose they are. I think you'll be surprised.

mavmakmar

For a kiddo in an infant seat, just take a fleece receiving blanket, fold it in fours and tuck it in around the baby. Top it with a hat and a shower cap style car seat cover. This is what we did and Matthew always came out toasty warm.

I think those all look like more than just a thin fleece. If you want to try one, do so by putting infant in it in the seat, buckled in. THen, without changing the harness at all, take the baby out and take out the snow suit, then put him back in and if you have to tighten the harness at all, it's too bulky.

I know that the 1st one looks a bit thicker but I was at Gap today & it really was very thin. I will try what you suggest at the store to see if they work

Is there any fleece suits that you can recommend?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Why not the white micro fleece one? I thought fleece was safe to wear.

My need for the snowsuit is getting him in & out of the seat to go into the school or stores. We dont usually use the seat to carry him around in we just use it for driving. Im in Michigan and we get some pretty bad weather and keeping him in his infant seat isnt always possible.

We currently are using a Kidopatumus Posh cover that goes over the seat
http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_fsposh.php

but when I get him out of the seat to go into the stores or school it's cold he really needs to be wearing something

I just read this update.
Okay, in that case, keep doing what you are doing, but you BRING the caot with you in the car, and after you take him out of his seat, you pop him into his coat.snowsuit, etc. When you return to the car, you take it off of him, and put him back into the carseat, buckle, then put blankets of the cover back over the seat.

You are NOT going to find ANY type of coat that will be BOTH thin enough to wear IN the carseat, and warm enough to be used by itself outside of the car. It isn't possible.

To answer your question.,. a THIN layer of fleece (or any material really, but thin fleece is warmer than thin other stuff) is fine,but - you are NOT looking at THIN layers of fleece...you are looking at big, giant bulky thick layers of material, which are not suitable for use inside the carseat.

We live by lake Michigan..we get dozens of feet of lake effect snow each year, freezing temps for months on end..i understand your situation. :)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If you are taking baby out of the car seat and only going right into the store, school, or wherever, I'd use a microfleece jacket like this in the car, and then just throw a blanket on baby for the short walk. Baby won't freeze.

Anyway, I live in Michigan and that's what I do. In fact, this is my third baby and I don't think I've ever used a snowsuit in the car.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
it looks single layer. I think it would be okay. also.....very cute..why did you have to show me that? lol! Must. Not. Shop.

menfusse

The Hanna Andersson one is fine. I used it and it never effected the strap tightness at all. I will also say though, from experience, the snow suites are kind of annoying if you are going to be in a store or somewhere for awhile. They get hot, and it's hard to get on and off easily. I did it, but it was a pain sometimes.

While you are on the Hanna site, check out the fleece Best Ever Baby Jacket. Same single layer fleece, and very warm. There are also super cute hats and mittens to match too. It's easier to take off, and for his legs, you can throw a blanket over them. Just wanted to throw that out there, since I hadn't thought about how annoying it would be to take a baby out of a snow suit and put them back in in a store, lol.

mavmakmar

The Hanna Andersson one is fine. I used it and it never effected the strap tightness at all. I will also say though, from experience, the snow suites are kind of annoying if you are going to be in a store or somewhere for awhile. They get hot, and it's hard to get on and off easily. I did it, but it was a pain sometimes.

While you are on the Hanna site, check out the fleece Best Ever Baby Jacket. Same single layer fleece, and very warm. There are also super cute hats and mittens to match too. It's easier to take off, and for his legs, you can throw a blanket over them. Just wanted to throw that out there, since I hadn't thought about how annoying it would be to take a baby out of a snow suit and put them back in in a store, lol.
good idea I didnt even think about that side of it
I use the moby alot && I would have to take the suit off

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I agree that a fleece jacket with a hat would be better. Have you seen the car seat coat trick? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLTVPqn0aR8"]YouTube - A safer way to wear a winter coat in a car seat[/ame]
If you don't think it is warm enough with just a fleece jacket on, when you take DS out of the car, hold him up next to you and wrap a fleece blanket around him. I promise you that he will be warmer held close to you and all snuggled up than he would be in just a fleece snowsuit.

mlohry

I have owned Columbia snowsuits and a Lands End fleece snowsuit for my babies and I loved them both and their was absolutely no issues with buckling them in tightly everytime and I live in MN and it is COLD here! I wish they would work for my boys now that they are older.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC