Just throw 'em in the trunk!

tjham

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17904067/

What an idiot! :eek: But I think the fiancee should have been arrested too!

Kids take a car trip, in the trunk

Man arrested, accused of reckless endangerment

Updated: 6:09 p.m. MT April 1, 2007

PORTLAND, Ore. - An Oregon man on vacation with his family is accused of putting two of his four children in a car trunk because the vehicle was too small to hold all of them.

Douglas Willy, 40, was arrested Saturday after police received a tip from a person who saw the family at a gas station, authorities said. He was charged with two counts of reckless endangerment.

Willy, his fiancee and their four children were taking a trip but the vehicle did not fit all six passengers. So, police said, he decided two of the children would ride in the trunk to avoid taking a second vehicle.

Police said a 12-year-old and 13-year-old were in the trunk, and had been riding inside for about 20 miles.

The woman took the children home on Saturday. Authorities said Willy was released without bail Sunday.

A telephone message left Sunday at the Willy’s home was not immediately returned.

ADS

broken4u05

How stupid can you be. But why did the kids do it too? I have slept in my trunk before. I have a pillow in there and a blanket.The truck was not closed but i have closed it before (not sleeping) because i wanted to try out the glow in the dark handle. A friend was always there

Simplysomething

broken, no offense, but sleeping in the trunk is stupid.

There was a case like that--in VA--irrc--where the family was on vacation and had two of their children ride in the trunk. I may be remembering wrong though. It might have been anywhere along i-95. But it was within the last couple of years.

I can see people having children ride in trunks 25-30 years ago. Because, well, we didn't think as much about child passenger (or even adult) safety. But now, there is no excuse.

People never cease to amaze me.

jn__

And here I've been agonizing about my 3-across situation when I can just throw a couple in the trunk! doh! God, I can't believe people are so stupid and why wasn't the woman held responsible as well??

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Teenagers slept in their trunks a lot when I was in highschool -- stupid, but so was everything else going on....

Was it 1996 that trunk releases became standard? Or later :confused: Anyway, all newer trunks have a manual release inside & older trunks can be retrofit with one.

So, not only was this stupid on the obvious level, but the kids could have popped the trunk while in motion: a whole new level of dangerous stupidity.

broken4u05

I did it like hanging out with friends and i would lay down in there and just happened to go to sleep the trunk would be open the whole time. I did not get in m truck and say time for a nap. The pillow was for if i ever stayed at a friends house. And i never was asleep for more than 5 mins. Like i said it was not a nap. But thinking back yes it could of been bad

southpawboston

Teenagers slept in their trunks a lot when I was in highschool -- stupid, but so was everything else going on...

yep, you can count me as one of them :thumbsup: ;)

even better, we used to drive around on halloween with the trunk slightly ajar (before they had the inside releases... this was the 80s after all), and pelt kids with eggs from the trunk as we drove by. totally juvenile, yes, but that's what teenage boys do... or at least, did... these days it may be different. i also didn't have a lot of parent supervision back then... :rolleyes:

broken4u05

Good to know someone else has done it too. I felt safe sleeping in there. Also i had not slept all weekend due to hanging out with friends so i just was tired. Me and my friend have laied down in my trunk

Laurenc0101

Oh my, how stupid. Let's compromise children's safety so we don't have to take two cars:hitselfonhead: I agree, the fiancee should have been arrested too for going along with the idea.

Lauren:)

JaRylan

They said they couldn't fit everyone in the car for the trip so 2 went in the trunk...what do they do when they are just going to get groceries???

abckidsmom

broken, no offense, but sleeping in the trunk is stupid.

There was a case like that--in VA--irrc--where the family was on vacation and had two of their children ride in the trunk. I may be remembering wrong though. It might have been anywhere along i-95. But it was within the last couple of years.

I can see people having children ride in trunks 25-30 years ago. Because, well, we didn't think as much about child passenger (or even adult) safety. But now, there is no excuse.

People never cease to amaze me.

That was near here, in Fredericksburg, VA last summer. A woman had too man kids for her car, and put a couple in the trunk on a super hot summer day. The kids went into foster care and the woman went to jail. I guess she got them back by now, though...

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Don't you think some people should be sterilized so that they can't have kids? You have people having kids that shouldn't be because they don't even take care of them and then you have people desperate to have a child and cannot. It totally stinks! :eek:

Suzibeck

I haven't seen the trunk thing around here but I have seen, several times, 4 or 5 kids in the backseat of a sedan. Each time the families were hispanic. There are many hispanic families around here, many are quite poor, and I'm guessing they are just uneducated about CPS, especially if they are first generation. It is my understanding that in Mexico they don't use car seats?

I agree, the mother should have been charged as well. That is just crazy to put kids in the trunk!

southpawboston

I haven't seen the trunk thing around here but I have seen, several times, 4 or 5 kids in the backseat of a sedan. Each time the families were hispanic. There are many hispanic families around here, many are quite poor, and I'm guessing they are just uneducated about CPS, especially if they are first generation. It is my understanding that in Mexico they don't use car seats?

in most parts of latin america there is a lot of poverty, so many families are lucky just to have a vehicle...period. they are more concerned about being able to put food on their children's plates than vehicle safety. it it is an interesting contrast when you compare that with discussions about which $40,000 vehicle to buy a college freshman. it is the difference between the haves and the have nots. :(

beeman

Oops, I've just thought of all the times I've ridden in the box of the 1/2 ton around the farm. Is that as bad as the trunk? I'm assuming not, cuz theres no cover and free flowing air (I'm not saying it's safe though!) :p .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC